Deathbat Country - An Avenged Sevenfold Fan-Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

send news tips to deathbatcountry6661@hotmail.com

WELCOME TO THE FAMILY! WE ARE GLAD TO HAVE YOU HERE!
Thank you for your support, it is greatly appreciated!
R.I.P. James Owen Sullivan a.k.a. The Rev 1981-2009

Christmas Surprises

Aightball
    Aightball

Christmas Surprises Empty Christmas Surprises

Post  Aightball 12/24/2010, 3:07 am

I’ve seen a few people posting fanfics here, so thought I’d take the plunge. This Christmas one-shot ties in with a story on Mibba I did. It’s an AU, and I’m not sure why, but I’ve been really into writing Jimmy blind. I can’t really explain what sparked it, but it works quite well in the stories I’ve done. If you want to read the chaptered fic this ties in with, head to Mibba and click on the story entitled Buxton, Iowa, Population One Heart, Two Suitors.

Enjoy!

“Martha? It’s Jimmy. I need a favor.”

Jimmy Sullivan paced around his small living room, the ocean breezes coming through the windows quite a contrast to the frigid, snowy climate he was accustomed to. His time in San Diego had been nothing short of wonderful and he was now gearing up for his third Christmas out of Iowa. His mother and sisters were flying in today, but he couldn’t ask his girlfriend for a ridebecause she had to work.

“I’m already on my way,” Martha Argoria, his girlfriend’s best friend assured him. “Actually, if you and Helen want to come downstairs, I’m in the parking lot.”

“Excellent. I can’t thank you enough for the ride. Are you willing to help me with something else as well?” he asked, as he harnessed his guide dog, Helen. He grasped the handle of her leather harness and made sure he had his keys, waiting for Martha’s answer. When it was positive, he smiled wide. “Great. I know you and Sam are like sisters, but I really need you to keep this a secret, okay?”

He moved into the hallway, closing the door behind him and placing sunglasses over his eyes. His eyes were very sensitive to bright light and the sun here seemed brighter than back home. He’d had a few headaches in his first days here, but he had finally acclimated. As long as he kept his shades on outside, he was fine. His job as assistant editor of a local entertainment magazine kept him busy, but he’d managed to snag today off. Helen nudged his leg to indicate they were at the elevator and his fingers brushed the Braille writing to find the down button.

When he finally got into the car, he had to laugh as he was bombarded with questions from Martha. He waited until she’d quieted down and then finally spilled the beans.

“Well, we’ve been dating now for three years. I’ve been living out here for three years, and I’m ready for the next step. We agreed that we’re going to move in together as soon as things settle down at work for her, probably when my lease is up in June. In the mean time, I want to propose.”

Thankfully, the car was not in motion when he said that, because Martha screamed bloody murder. Jimmy clapped his hands over his ears as Helen whined from the back. When his friend had herself under control, she apologized, and then congratulated him.

“She’s going to love it. How are you going to do it?” she asked, and Jimmy smiled, feeling the car turn to the right. The sun was bright today, and he found that he did not miss the snow and cold as he’d feared.

“Well, I want to be original, you know? I think I’m going to get her a ring with her birthstone in it, a ruby for July, and then hang it on the tree as an ornament.”

“She’ll love it. She likes that you’re so different from other guys she’s dated. You’re especially different from her ex-husband, that jerk.”

With the addition of Jimmy to Sam’s life, Martha had finally been brought completely into Sam’s secret. She wasn’t angry that the real name of Sam’s ex had been withheld, though she was curious. Sam didn’t have a good reason, other than Martha wouldn’t know him and since she had a temper, would deck him if she ever met him. As it was, when Martha realized that Jacoby Shaddix was not only Sam’s ex but had caused Jimmy problems as well, she had to be stopped from flying out to Iowa to assure his demise.

“I’m glad to hear that, because I want to be different. Trust me, I’ve been unlucky in love myself.”

They were quiet then for the remainder of the drive, as Martha arrived at the airport. Helen took the lead, making sure Jimmy got safely into the building. Sam, Jimmy's retired guide dog, had passed away the year before, and he missed him greatly. Once inside, he took Martha’s arm so she could guide him through the crowded concourse and into baggage claim.

“Looks like their flight is on time; they must’ve gotten out before the snow flew,” she observed, as they found chairs to sit on and wait. “Looks like it will be landing here in the next five minutes.”

“Good. I was hoping they’d get out of the state before the storm hit. Mom said it sounds like a typical storm for Iowa, but it’s going to be a big one. They’re here through New Years, though, so they should be able to get back just fine as well.”

That was one thing Jimmy did not miss about Iowa. When big storms hit, the busses that he relied on to get to work and around town often stopped running, causing him to scramble for a ride to work. If the busses couldn’t run, he couldn’t really walk, either. Out here, however, there were no such concerns, and for that, he was thankful. Now, he could just relax with his family and enjoy his holiday.

Later that night, Sam sat on the couch with her cats Rev and Spooky, listening to a local rock station while she edited some photos. She’d finally been talked into starting her own photography business and it had taken off like a shot. She found herself sometimes with so much business that she couldn’t keep up, and so had enlisted Martha as a second photographer six months after she opened. She’d recently hired a photography school graduate as a third and was considering a fourth.

“It’s so hard to edit these pictures sometimes,” she complained to the cats, as she performed a minor touch-up on a teenager’s face. The parents had declined to have the pictures re-taken after the girl’s skin has cleared despite the cost of touch-up. She leaned back, examined the now-clear face, and sighed. “I hope that’s good enough, poor girl.”

She jumped when her phone rang, and nearly spilled a glass of non-alcoholic wine while reaching for it. She smiled when she saw the little asterisk over the text message icon, pressed the mouse button, then grinned at Martha’s text.

Got Jimmy and family home safe; his mother rented a car for their stay. He suspects nothing.

Good. I’ve got the new ornament in place on my tree, so it will be ready when he comes over on Christmas Eve. Thanks for taking him!

No problem. See you at work tomorrow!

Samantha put her phone aside and smiled; Jimmy and his family were coming over for Christmas Eve and she had a hell of a surprise for him. He already knew about the moving in plans, of course, but they were going to need to step that up just a bit if his landlord would allow it. If not, her lease ended in January, and since Jimmy's apartment was the same size and in the next building over, it would be no problem to move into his rather than hers.

“I wish it was time to move with him already,” she lamented to the cats, finishing her wine. She preferred the real stuff, but this would do for now. Spooky and Rev crawled into her lap as she put her computer aside and picked up her phone to text Jimmy. He would be busy with his family the next few weeks, but had promised to include her in those plans as well. Because she could, she was off Christmas Eve through January 2nd, as was Jimmy.

How’s your family? she texted, scratching Rev behind the ears.

Good. Mom wants to know if you want to go out for supper. They’re hungry.

She laughed, as she saved her work and closed the lid on the small computer. She responded that she’d walk down in a moment and gently moved the cats from her lap. With disgruntled meows, they scurried off in search of food or a hiding place, as she slipped her tennis shoes on, grabbed her purse and then called a goodbye to her feline companions.

Five minutes later, she knocked on Jimmy's door, using her key to open it as she did so; it was their agreed upon signal. She had a special knock that she used and he could hear the key in the lock. It resulted after she walked in his second day here, only to scare the shit out of him because he hadn’t heard her come in. He kept a baseball bat in reach in each room for protection and she’d narrowly missed getting clobbered in the head. It had taken her several minutes to calm him down and he’d apologized for days after.

“Hey Sammy,” he said, bringing her into his arms and kissing her passionately. He deepened the kiss as her breathe caught in her throat and her fingers wound in his hair. These were the moments she looked forward to every day and she couldn’t wait until they were living together.

“Guys?”

Their tongues fought for dominance and his won, as usual. She let him have his way with her mouth, sucking on his bottom lip, as he gently nipped hers. His hands moved up under his shirt, her bra unhooked moments later. He massaged her breasts, and she rubbed her lower half against his, feeling the lump in his jeans. She wound her fingers a little tighter in his hair, wishing the kiss would never end. He started working her shirt off, her nipples standing at attention, as he trailed kisses down her neck, then back to her mouth. She jumped when someone tapped her shoulder.

“Guys?”

They broke, breathless, panting, and glanced over at Jimmy's mother, who was laughing a bit, her cheeks pink. Sammy looked away for a moment, pulling her swollen lip into her mouth hoping to return it to normal. They hurriedly fixed her clothes as Jimmy excused himself to the bathroom.

“It’s okay, Sammy,” Barb assured her, drawing her into a hug. “You’d think he never sees you or something.”

They both laughed, as Sam blushed a deep shade of crimson. With the embarrassment out of the way, she greeted Kelly and Katie, noting that the pile of presents under Jimmy's tree seemed to have tripled since the night before.

“Where do we want to eat?” she asked, as everyone got ready to leave and Jimmy returned. He seemed more comfortable now, though there was still a slight tinge of embarrassment in his cheeks. He made sure Helen’s duty flags were clearly displayed and that her certification papers were at hand; they’d had problems with some restaurants over the last couple of years.

“Jimmy was telling us about a café just up the street,” Kelly said, as they walked out into the hallway. “We thought that sounded good. It’s a good, light way to eat tonight, since we’re bound to have the time change catch up eventually.”

“Sounds good to me; I’ve been craving their bagel sandwiches of late anyway,” Sam agreed, hitting the button for the elevator. “It’s nice, too, because it’s in walking distance.”

“It sounds like you guys eat there a lot,” Barb said, as they all crowded into the small car. Jimmy nodded, as he located the button for first floor and pressed it. “Jimmy was raving about it as though there’s no other place in San Diego fit to eat.”

“Geez, Jim,” Sam teased him, causing him to blush as they arrived on first floor. “I guess you don’t want to share our other hide outs?”

Poor Jimmy wasn’t quite sure what to say, as everyone else started laughing. He stuttered something to Sam, who brought him into a hug, assuring him she was only teasing.

“That’s a relief. We do have many hide outs to show them, after all,” he reminded her as they started walking. He and Sam were walking hand in hand, and he knew his mother was smiling. After many years of failed relationships, he had finally found that one person he could love for the rest of his life.

Christmas Eve, Jimmy walked his family over to Sam’s apartment, where they were greeted with the smells of her amazing cooking. Jimmy was relieved that she loved to cook and better yet, was more than happy to give him lessons. Margo’s lessons had been an immense help, and Sam was glad to keep them going.

“It smells amazing,” Barb complimented, as Jimmy snuck over to the tree and, with Kelly’s help, quietly hung Sam’s ruby right in the middle.

“Thanks! I hope turkey is okay; I know Jimmy's doing chicken tomorrow,” she said, as Jimmy made his way into the kitchen to hug and kiss her. She looked up at he approached and shook her head. “No hugging yet, Jim. I’m over the open oven.”

“Good to know.”

He backed up, waiting for the signal to move forward. She’d gone from being scared to death about his safety to finally becoming comfortable with the fact that he could handle himself. A few well placed warnings now and then kept most of the embarrassing moments away. He waited patiently and finally felt her arms around him. They kissed, aware of their audience this time, and he whispered in her ear that they’d catch some private time later.

“Does anyone want wine? I have real and non-alcoholic,” she offered, and Jimmy was confused…Sam never had anything non-alcoholic in her fridge as far as wine and such went.

“I’ll take some regular wine,” his sister Katie said, and Kelly agreed.

Jimmy and his mom also requested regular wine, and he raised his glass once it seemed everyone had their drink in hand.

“To a wonderful family,” he toasted and everyone echoed him, clinking their glasses together.

They sat down to eat soon after, once Martha rushed in with apologies for being late. She’d been at the photo studio doing a last minute family sitting for Christmas. They assured her she was fine and fixed her a plate in time to eat with everyone else. As she was sitting next to Jimmy, he could sense a nervous sort of excitement from her, though she seemed to have kept his secret.

“Well, should we open gifts?” Sam asked, once the dishwasher was loaded. Everyone had their drink refilled, and then filed into the living room. There would be more gifts to open at Jimmy's in the morning, but a few would be done tonight. “Kelly, can you help me hand them out?”

Everyone soon had a small pile of gifts near them. Right before the first person tore into theirs, Jimmy asked Sam to come to the tree.

“I hope you don’t mind if I steal the show for a moment,” he said, as he felt her take his hand. He gestured to the tree. “There’s something special hanging there for you. I wanted to do this differently than other guys.”

She was close enough that he could watch her reach forward and grasp the ring. She turned to him and leaned in, so he could see the tears glistening in her eyes; he hoped they were happy tears.

“Samantha Vimes, will you marry me and make my life complete?” he asked, shaking with fear at being turned down.

She was nodding and he embraced her, feeling her slide the ring onto her finger. He was certain she’d made him deaf, however, when she screamed yes at him. He kissed her deeply, swinging her around a bit, careful of the tree.

“Oh Jimmy, of course I’ll marry you,” she cried, and he smiled, wiping the tears from her face. “Now, I have something for you as well.”

She took his hand and brought it forward. He leaned in to see that she was guiding him toward an ornament. He grasped it when she folded his fingers around it, then brought it in for a closer look. He looked at the ornament, then to his fiancé, then back to the picture.

“Is that an--?”

“Ultrasound? Yes. Jimmy, we’re going to be parents in June.”

“Oh my God. I love you, Sammy, and our newest creation.”

They held each other tighter for a moment, then returned to the couch, snuggled close and everyone opened their gifts. After the ring and the ultrasound, books and pajamas seemed mundane. When the gifts had been opened, the congratulations flowed, and both Jimmy and Sam beamed with happiness.

Jimmy grinned as Sam twirled him around the dance floor to their song, their first dance as husband and wife. Halfway through the song, his mother brought Sophia Megan, their two year old daughter out to dance with them. They’d chosen a long engagement so they could settle in with having a child. It wasn’t easy to plan a wedding with a toddler in the house and working full time, but they’d managed. Sophia had been thrilled at her job of flower girl and had done an excellent job of tossing flower petals around the church, finally dumping the basket out at the end of the aisle. The photographer had captured the entire moment and the guests at the small wedding had laughed at the scene, as Sophia clearly enjoyed the attention.

Looking into his wife’s eyes, Jimmy smiled, wondering how he’d ended up being gifted with such a beautiful family. Really, he thought, he didn’t deserve this, but he wasn’t going to take it for granted. When the dance ended, he moved his family to the side, ready to mingle a little before dancing again. He smiled for pictures, and then found Sam once again, who was trying to wrangle Sophia to the bathroom.

“I got her,” Sam’s mom Mona said, taking the toddler who was protesting this interruption of her night. “You go have fun.”

Sam laughed, shaking her head, as she looked into Jimmy eyes. They’d learned over the last year that Jimmy's eyesight was getting worse, and it wouldn’t be long until all he could see was light and shadow and little else. Jimmy looked into Sam’s green eyes, memorizing their color and the way the lights reflected in them. When he looked at her, he couldn't believe he got someone so beautiful.

Current date/time is 5/17/2024, 6:22 am