Deathbat Country - An Avenged Sevenfold Fan-Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

send news tips to deathbatcountry6661@hotmail.com

WELCOME TO THE FAMILY! WE ARE GLAD TO HAVE YOU HERE!
Thank you for your support, it is greatly appreciated!
R.I.P. James Owen Sullivan a.k.a. The Rev 1981-2009

+18
Joh7X
DarknessSurroundsNikki
~Moonbaby8768~
the mice endure
feathersfalling
AprilSevenfold
anais84
Cristina
rckrmtl
DarienVengeance
Carey.Adams
CiaraCobb
deceit
andigo
anDy
Synysterette
Aightball
Justin
22 posters

Where were you when you heard the news?

Justin
    Justin
    Admin
    Admin

Where were you when you heard the news? Empty Where were you when you heard the news?

Post  Justin 12/28/2010, 2:56 pm

This thread is devoted to the stories of how you heard the news. Me personally, It was late on December 28th and I did my regular facebook check on my phone. when I got there, an unfortunate message from the band was waiting. I was in complete shock. I yelled to my wife to tell her and she didn't believe me at first. Then I showed her and she was in shock as well. For the next couple of days I was a bit depressed, I just couldn't believe he had died. I kept checking to see if there was a cause and kept finding bizarre stories like he was pretending to be santa claus on his roof and fell off and weird crap like that. Funny thing is the rev was so nuts that I half believed it. After about a week I got back to normal but still one thought lingered in my mind, would avenged sevenfold continue, and as we all know they eventually did and did so well. Now I wanna hear your stories, What is your story when you heard about the rev's untimely death?
    Aightball
    Aightball

Where were you when you heard the news? Empty Re: Where were you when you heard the news?

Post  Aightball 12/28/2010, 3:29 pm

My SO and I were getting ready to leave for our usual post-Christmas trip to Des Moines. I was checking my email and internet sites as usual and got excited about a post on Jimmy. But when I got to that tab, my heart broke. My SO asked what was wrong and in shock, I said "I think my favorite drummer just died..." he said he was sorry, but didn't get it. I will always remember that day... =(
    Synysterette
    Synysterette

Where were you when you heard the news? Empty Re: Where were you when you heard the news?

Post  Synysterette 12/28/2010, 11:24 pm

I found out in a slightly different way to most people....
    I had come home after the usual see the family over Christmas and logged into MSN to squeal Happy Birthday messages at my friend so I was hyper hyper and jumping up and down (the usual) and didn't even see her personal message "May you Rock in Peace Jimmy" she didn't tell me that day she was only down and not talkative (I mean her favourite drummer died on her birthday) I didn't actually find out til a couple of days after when I asked her what her personal message was about (I really don't know how I missed it, but if you know me you know I can miss A LOT of obvious things - sort of "see what you want to" kinda thing) like I didn't make the connection that the Jimmy in her message was Jimmy Jimmy.... y'know?
    When I found out I went numb (no tears) sort of shocked like and didn't mention it to other friends 'cos they aren't / weren't into Avenged so wouldn't care as much - I didn't really even talk about with more than 2 or 3 people until springtime....
    weird I know - went down the route of - if I don't talk about it it isn't real
    anDy
    anDy
    Admin
    Admin

Post  anDy 12/28/2010, 11:58 pm

My phone was off because I was with my family watching Sherlock Holmes. We were in Florida and we always watch movies during the holidays: A family tradition. I didn't know what to expect with that movie but I ended up liking it a lot. I came out of the theater happy and I turned my phone on to check the time.
    My friend Courtney who used to be on C4 had texted me saying that the rev had passed away. It wasn't that I didn't believe it, but it was so unexpected that I didn't know how to react. When we got back to the hotel, I just sat alone for a while and put on some city of evil.
    I won't lie. I did cry. The Rev was the reason for many things about me. He was one of two main reasons why I got into Avenged, the other being Synyster Gates. He got me into wanting to play drums, and the time I did play drums I learned mostly Avengd songs. I used to be lazy as shit, but through trying to match his drumming I learned how to finally be dedicated and actually give a shit about something. I now work as hard as I can on everything and will not be satisfied until it is the best I can make it.

RIP Rev.
    andigo
    andigo

Post  andigo 12/29/2010, 12:51 am

Andy just wanted to say that post was lovely. The way the guys have dealt with the loss of Jimmy and the way he lived his life have been inspiring me so much lately too for certain reasons. What you said was beautiful.
    deceit
    deceit
    Admin
    Admin

Post  deceit 12/29/2010, 1:10 am

Thinking about this makes me extremely sad.
    I was curled up in bed an d sleeping when my boyfriend woke me up with a shake.
    He then said 'carla, I'm sorry but the drummer from avenged sevenfold died.'
    I was like whattttttt?
    So I immediately went and checked a message board to see if it was true. And it was.
    I didn't cry. I was more in shock then anything.
    It still sometimes doesn't feel real.
    CiaraCobb
    CiaraCobb

Post  CiaraCobb 12/29/2010, 3:18 am

Sad to say that this day a year ago was pretty much the catalyst for my becoming a fan. I'd heard some of their stuff from City of Evil a few years back but hadn't bothered with any more. A year ago I was on FB and a friend had "RIP The Rev" as his status. I asked him who that was and he told me that it was the drummer for a band called Avenged Sevenfold. I looked them up and realised I knew some of their stuff but that was as far as it went.

A few months later I was talking to Kirst and I think somehow (the memory is a little hazy now) the subject turned to Jimmy. From that point on Avenged have become a major part of my life thanks to Kirst, and to Jimmy.
    andigo
    andigo

Post  andigo 12/29/2010, 3:32 am

I've quietly loved Avenged for five years, and more vocally in the past year thanks like Clare, to Kirst cause we all had this thing where we were friends but didn't realise we were all fans, but I have to very sadly confess I don't remember the exact details of finding out, I just remember seeing the headline and being really shocked and sad but I don't have a particular moment associated in my memory...I think I just take a long long time to process any death, I tend to go to shock and numbness rather than crying whereas I cry really easily at smaller things and that pardox is true for me in a lot of situations. I've still not come to terms with Heath Ledger's death so I'm not expecting to fully process Jimmy's for a long time to come - I still miss Dimebag and Layne Staley and people like hell Sad
    It keeps hitting me that Paul Gray died too. Man this year epically sucked, personally and generally. 11 is my lucky number so I'm hoping that reflects in next year being a whole lot better than this one Sad

Having said that though, this year has also had some wonderful aspects that I would never be without, including being more involved in places like this Smile
    Justin
    Justin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Justin 12/29/2010, 4:09 am

andigo wrote:I've quietly loved Avenged for five years, and more vocally in the past year thanks like Clare, to Kirst cause we all had this thing where we were friends but didn't realise we were all fans, but I have to very sadly confess I don't remember the exact details of finding out, I just remember seeing the headline and being really shocked and sad but I don't have a particular moment associated in my memory...I think I just take a long long time to process any death, I tend to go to shock and numbness rather than crying whereas I cry really easily at smaller things and that pardox is true for me in a lot of situations. I've still not come to terms with Heath Ledger's death so I'm not expecting to fully process Jimmy's for a long time to come - I still miss Dimebag and Layne Staley and people like hell Sad
    It keeps hitting me that Paul Gray died too. Man this year epically sucked, personally and generally. 11 is my lucky number so I'm hoping that reflects in next year being a whole lot better than this one Sad

Having said that though, this year has also had some wonderful aspects that I would never be without, including being more involved in places like this Smile

And we are very very happy to have you! :-)
    Carey.Adams

Where were you when you heard the news? Empty It changed my life

Post  Carey.Adams 12/29/2010, 4:37 am

I have to say that I found out from the lamenting of my son who was 13 years old. A7X had always been his favorite band EVER but I always thought at 44 I was too old for that kind of rock. Anyway he educated me - big style and since that day I have become a different person. He took me to Download, dragged me out of a Bullet mosh pit!

I listen to it all the time now and have seen A7X twice - they are now my favorite band EVER! A year ago today if you had asked me whether I would be sitting on my 14 year old sons shoulders screaming every word to rock songs I would have laughed at you so thank you Jimmy. You opened my eyes to your music and others, you brought my son & I closer together in the most difficult year of our lives and you have turned me into a complete metal head - I'm even getting a tattoo.

Your music is inspiring, the lyrics get to me more than any others that I have listened too and I just love to rock out to you guys.

A year ago today your new life started and so did mine. I hope to see you up there some day so I can thank you personally for changing my life. This year I am at Download again and will be screaming Afterlife (probably on Brad's shoulders again) and having the time of my life and then I'm off to Sonisphere to see SlipKnot - look what you have started!!

I also wanted to say, as a mother of an amazing young man, how deeply your loss must have affected everyone who knew and loved you. It breaks my heart to think that you were just twice my sons age and that your life had barely started. I want you to know that you live on through your legacy and with that in mind Brad and I rewrote one of our favourite songs "A Little Piece of Heaven" in your honour - the latin inscription at the end means everything to me - it means "For the Honour & perpetual memory, from one learn many". I learned from you Jimmy - I learned not to get old and to live my life like today might be my last - so I've jumped in too and i'm loving it!!!!!!!!

A LITTLE PIECE FROM HEAVEN

Before the story begins, is it such a sin
    For me to love what’s mine, until the end of time?
    I loved my band Avenged, right to the very end
    Friends right from the start, I had to give them my heart

My band was just too good so very long
    It was always fate that something would go wrong
    Before we faced this possibility
    A guiding light came down to come for me
    Smiling now from up above
    I hear the fans and all their love

“Must have seen ‘em 50 f**king times
    I don’t believe it
    Aced that solo right before my eyes, Syn can’t repeat it
    Beat it Beat it Beat it”

They were always this f**king good even in the beginning
    Syn and Zacky on guitar, Christ on bass and M Shadows singing
    It goes on and on and on
    I can watch them growing old on the stage together
    While I play up here for the lord forever

And I really always knew that my legacy
    Would be sick that’s why you gotta carry on for me
    And I know, I know it wasn’t my time
    But bye bye
    And a word to the wise when the Reverend dies
    You think it’s over but it’s just begun
    People don’t cry

These boys have my heart, at least for the most part
    But everybody’s gotta die sometime
    They fell apart and then made a new start
    Cos everybody’s gotta die sometime yeah
    So people don’t cry

Possibilities they had to consider
    How to carry on without this sick drummer
    Then Mike Portnoy came and stepped into the frame
    Came to play the drums and fuck the mans got game
    I’m smiling now from ear to ear
    Listening to the fans all cheer

I don’t believe it
    Beat it Beat it Beat it”

Now that I’ve gone I realise the greatness of those days
    I must venture back to commend these guys from somewhere far above the grave
    I really f**king love what they have done
    Cos I am all up in my piece of heaven
    And I’m screaming lyrics for this band forever

But bye bye
    But people don’t cry

Cos everybody’s gotta die sometime, yeah
    So people don’t cry

I will watch over you all
    I’ll keep an eye on you
    So do whatever we were gonna do (Don’t ever change)
    And know you’re good enough
    Know you’re good enough, loved enough, mad enough
    To do it all over again

Coming back, coming back
    I live forever, live forever
    Up here in heaven, with the others
    I’m watching over all my brothers

But bye bye
    But people don’t cry

So people don’t cry

Ad honorem et ad perpetuam memoriam, ab uno disce omnes
    With much love x

Last edited by Carey.Adams on 12/29/2010, 4:53 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo's)
    CiaraCobb
    CiaraCobb

Post  CiaraCobb 12/29/2010, 5:04 am

That was quite awesome indeed, thanks for sharing.
    DarienVengeance
    DarienVengeance

Post  DarienVengeance 12/29/2010, 5:13 am

I didn't find out about Jimmys passing until December 29th. I wasn't home the day before & no one felt the need to call or text me. I got home around 10am on the 29th and jumped on facebook first thing as always. First thing I see on my front page "R.I.P James Owen Sullivan". I got confused, it must be someone else, was my first reaction. So, I googled it.

Every news headline "Drummer of Avenged Sevenfold found Dead at 28". I tossed my laptop aside because I nearly dropped it & I honestly don't even remember when the tears began, they were just pouring.

It's def a day I'll never forget...
    andigo
    andigo

Post  andigo 12/29/2010, 5:37 am

Thank you Justin, I was gonna ask if people are on facebook and wanted to chat and stuff - I will have a month home cause of an op in Jan and would love to chat to people Smile

I have been ok all day but A Little Piece of Heaven just started playing and made me cry, I can't fully explain why it's that one that does it but I knew it would be...it's so epic and beautiful and perfect and dark and just makes me think of the LBC performance where I've literally never seen five people look so much like they are having the absolute time of their freaking lives...
    Justin
    Justin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Justin 12/29/2010, 6:05 am

andigo wrote:Thank you Justin, I was gonna ask if people are on facebook and wanted to chat and stuff - I will have a month home cause of an op in Jan and would love to chat to people Smile

I have been ok all day but A Little Piece of Heaven just started playing and made me cry, I can't fully explain why it's that one that does it but I knew it would be...it's so epic and beautiful and perfect and dark and just makes me think of the LBC performance where I've literally never seen five people look so much like they are having the absolute time of their freaking lives...

I dont know If u were aware, but at the very bottom of the site there is a chatbox to chat with other members of the site. Usually anDy, Carla, myself, and others r on there. I was listening to the live version of seize the day today and I started welling up a bit. I don't know if it's because of Jimmy or if I was just thinking of my wife dying or something. It was weird though.
    andigo
    andigo

Post  andigo 12/29/2010, 9:21 am

Justin wrote:
    andigo wrote:Thank you Justin, I was gonna ask if people are on facebook and wanted to chat and stuff - I will have a month home cause of an op in Jan and would love to chat to people Smile

I dont know If u were aware, but at the very bottom of the site there is a chatbox to chat with other members of the site. Usually anDy, Carla, myself, and others r on there. I was listening to the live version of seize the day today and I started welling up a bit. I don't know if it's because of Jimmy or if I was just thinking of my wife dying or something. It was weird though.

I was in the chatbox once and I know it was popular over on C4 but it's too frenetic for me a lot of the time lol, I write a lot and I need calmer space to do that haha!
    But I will try and join in more for sure Smile

I don't think that's weird, I think that's lovely, not that you were sad but that music and the people who inspire us have that power to move us even though it's something we can't physically touch if that makes sense? Ooh you can tell it's gone midnight in England, I've gone all philosophical lol
    rckrmtl
    rckrmtl

Post  rckrmtl 12/29/2010, 12:03 pm

I found out through Facebook. I saw where a friend posted on my wall, and I was excited because I hadn't talked to her in a year and a half at that time. Anyway, she posted a link to a news story about his death on my wall. She and I were huge fans of the band in high school, and we went to their concert together.

But anyway, the article was from a small newspaper in California, so I didn't really want to believe it. Then, I logged onto Chapter-Four and sure enough, he'd died.

It did upset me even though at the time, I hadn't been a fan for about a year or so. I didn't fit in in high school, so I spent a good portion of my highschool days doing something a7x related. So even though I honestly hadn't cared about a7x in a long time, it still hurt. Anything that was such a huge part of your life for so long will sting.

So, R.I.P. Jimmy.
    Cristina
    Cristina

Post  Cristina 12/29/2010, 12:15 pm

Well the way i found out was because my sister got home from work and the first thing she says when she walks in is "The Rev died!" My brother and I were shocked (the 3 of us are Avenged Sevenfold fans). I didn't believe her until i went on my facebook and saw, even then i still didn't fully believe it. I was pretty sad for like a week.
    Rip The Rev
    deceit
    deceit
    Admin
    Admin

Post  deceit 12/30/2010, 12:50 am

rckrmtl wrote:I found out through Facebook. I saw where a friend posted on my wall, and I was excited because I hadn't talked to her in a year and a half at that time. Anyway, she posted a link to a news story about his death on my wall. She and I were huge fans of the band in high school, and we went to their concert together.

But anyway, the article was from a small newspaper in California, so I didn't really want to believe it. Then, I logged onto Chapter-Four and sure enough, he'd died.

It did upset me even though at the time, I hadn't been a fan for about a year or so. I didn't fit in in high school, so I spent a good portion of my highschool days doing something a7x related. So even though I honestly hadn't cared about a7x in a long time, it still hurt. Anything that was such a huge part of your life for so long will sting.

So, R.I.P. Jimmy.

I noticed his death brought a lot of older avenged fans (that had stopped listening to them) out of the woodwork.
    anais84
    anais84

Post  anais84 1/1/2011, 11:57 am

Carey.Adams wrote:

A LITTLE PIECE FROM HEAVEN

Before the story begins, is it such a sin
    For me to love what’s mine, until the end of time?
    I loved my band Avenged, right to the very end
    Friends right from the start, I had to give them my heart

My band was just too good so very long
    It was always fate that something would go wrong
    Before we faced this possibility
    A guiding light came down to come for me
    Smiling now from up above
    I hear the fans and all their love

I don’t believe it
    Beat it Beat it Beat it”

They were always this f**king good even in the beginning
    Syn and Zacky on guitar, Christ on bass and M Shadows singing
    It goes on and on and on
    I can watch them growing old on the stage together
    While I play up here for the lord forever

But bye bye
    People don’t cry

Cos everybody’s gotta die sometime yeah
    So people don’t cry

Possibilities they had to consider
    How to carry on without this sick drummer
    Then Mike Portnoy came and stepped into the frame
    Came to play the drums and fuck the mans got game
    I’m smiling now from ear to ear
    Listening to the fans all cheer

I don’t believe it
    Beat it Beat it Beat it”

Now that I’ve gone I realise the greatness of those days
    I must venture back to commend these guys from somewhere far above the grave
    I really f**king love what they have done
    Cos I am all up in my piece of heaven
    And I’m screaming lyrics for this band forever

But bye bye
    But people don’t cry

So people don’t cry

I will watch over you all
    I’ll keep an eye on you
    So do whatever we were gonna do (Don’t ever change)
    And know you’re good enough
    Know you’re good enough, loved enough, mad enough
    To do it all over again

Coming back, coming back
    I live forever, live forever
    Up here in heaven, with the others
    I’m watching over all my brothers

But bye bye
    But people don’t cry

So people don’t cry

Ad honorem et ad perpetuam memoriam, ab uno disce omnes
    With much love x

This version is just EPIC! It makes me cry, I totally picture Jimmy singing it!

For my part, I discovered the band in july of 2010! I didn't knew the band at all before because they aren't that known in France! So I discovered Jimmy by all I've seen on the internet and I saw that he was a great and funny guy! I wish I discover the band earlier!
    AprilSevenfold
    AprilSevenfold

Post  AprilSevenfold 1/1/2011, 6:42 pm

I was with my boyfriend at the time getting ready to go to work for the night when he pulled me over to read the facebook message from the band. I was so shocked for ages and I just sorta sat on the ground and kept thinking it was some stupid joke and their facebook had been hacked.

I went to work just feeling numb, talked to my ex for a while who was a big fan and we just consoled each other over it. Once work was over I spray painted my Mum's back window in her car to say "R.I.P The Rev" and I asked her to not clean it off until I moved interstate, best thing is mum still drives around with it on her window (:

feathersfalling
    feathersfalling

Where were you when you heard the news? Empty ):

Post  feathersfalling 1/6/2011, 8:15 am

It was the day before my birthday which is the 29th, me and my two best friends were crashing from our partying and befoe i went to bed it came on the t.v. that he had passed i screamed to my friends who woke up. We ended up talking about it the nest morning, let me tell you i was completly depresses on my birthday, he is and was my idol. Though i never met him i learned to live life to the fullest. Me and my friends were completly heartbroken. Me and my best friend still can't believe hes gone. ):

"Got nothing against you, and Jimmy we'll miss you, this place full of peace and light" ♥
    the mice endure
    the mice endure

Post  the mice endure 1/11/2011, 7:22 pm

I was at home, getting ready for the day, decided to check Twitter and some one had tweeted to me about how sorry she was for what had happened to Jimmy. I was all like wth has happened to Jimmy...and so I went on the band's site...and well it shocked me. I didn't cry until a week after I found out.
    ~Moonbaby8768~
    ~Moonbaby8768~

Post  ~Moonbaby8768~ 2/18/2011, 6:26 am

I was home and someone sent me a message saying something like, 'I guess you've heard about Jimmy. I am so sorry'. I didn't believe it at first and was racing over the internet checking everything I possibly could to make sure it was true. That was such an awful day.
    DarknessSurroundsNikki
    DarknessSurroundsNikki

Post  DarknessSurroundsNikki 2/27/2011, 11:42 pm

My daughter turned 2 months old that day, anyway, I logged onto myspace and facebook, and a couple friends had RIP THE REV as their statuses. I automatically started to bawl, turned off my computer and plugged in my iPod... I personally started listening to them in 04-05 so it hit me really hard, still does.
    Joh7X
    Joh7X

Post  Joh7X 3/16/2011, 11:53 am

I was on the way to see my dad in the physical rehab (at the beginning of the month he was in a car accident), and I checked one of my internet sites from my phone. (I think it might have been FaceBook.) From there I got the news, and in the back of the dark car I just cried. I cried silent tears that I didn't want to have to explain to my paretns, because I knew they wouldn't understand. I sent a text message to all of my friends who are fans about the news, and at first they didn't believe me. It was either that or like me they were in shock and didn't want to believe it.

Let's just say that December was not the best month of the year....

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 5/16/2024, 8:23 am