Deathbat Country - An Avenged Sevenfold Fan-Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

send news tips to deathbatcountry6661@hotmail.com

WELCOME TO THE FAMILY! WE ARE GLAD TO HAVE YOU HERE!
Thank you for your support, it is greatly appreciated!
R.I.P. James Owen Sullivan a.k.a. The Rev 1981-2009

4 posters

11.08.13 U/D The Aviators - Part Forty-Three/Four [M Shadows/Val]

~Moonbaby8768~
    ~Moonbaby8768~

11.08.13  U/D The Aviators - Part Forty-Three/Four [M Shadows/Val] - Page 4 Empty Re: 11.08.13 U/D The Aviators - Part Forty-Three/Four [M Shadows/Val]

Post  ~Moonbaby8768~ 6/13/2011, 1:34 pm

I wasn't too far behind on this one Smile Woulda been nice had I been though.. more of this story is always good Wink

Poor Val, I just feel so terribly for her. Once she gets all settled in one place, everything is snatched out from under her and I'm sure she's come to expect that with everything that's happened in her life. I'd really love it if she were able to lead a normal, happy life, I know she would too. And I have no doubt Matt's gonna give her that, after he takes care of a few things of course. I'm really eager to see Matt giving somebody a beat down. I just love the thought of his gorgeous, muscley self going crazy on somebody. Weird, eh? I don't care Razz You know this is one of my fave stories ever and I can't wait for more Very Happy
    the mice endure
    the mice endure

11.08.13  U/D The Aviators - Part Forty-Three/Four [M Shadows/Val] - Page 4 Empty Re: 11.08.13 U/D The Aviators - Part Forty-Three/Four [M Shadows/Val]

Post  the mice endure 6/16/2011, 4:25 pm

Hey Phyll! Long time no see! *waves madly*

Hehe, Matt's arms are why I love him...>.> well his voice too obviously lol.

Working away at an update Smile
    the mice endure
    the mice endure

Post  the mice endure 6/24/2011, 11:37 am

FINALLY

Part Thirty-Eight – “He won’t sleep.”

Matt closed his eyes and took several deep breaths. He was having a hard time trying to get his head around what he had just been told. Valary was now at the Guild. JD had no idea what was going to happen, and Robert was not willing to let anything slip while in the presence of the other Guild officials. This left only one option open to them. And it was not one that either he, JD or Brian relished. Matt had to go to the Guild, with JD and confront them himself.

That fact in and of itself wasn’t an issue. No, the problem was that it was now midnight and there was no way they could get into the Guild until at least eight in the morning. And Matthew did not want to have to wait that long. There was no knowing what state of mind Valary would be in and he didn’t want to leave her there any longer that she could cope.

The not knowing was killing Matt. He hated it. And his frustration was wearing the others down as well. Michelle had gone to bed earlier, not that she needed to sleep, but because of Matt’s increasing agitation. JD was seated at the kitchen table, Brian next to him half asleep in his chair. Matt paced the room, a caged animal ready to explode.

“Matt, honestly. Go to bed,” JD finally said in a weary tone. The singer shot a hard glare at the bigger male. JD frowned back at him. “There’s nothing any of us can do, right now. You might as well sleep.”

Matthew groaned as he finally quit his stalking and slumped on the chair opposite Brian. “I can’t sleep, man. Can’t stop thinking about Val…” He pressed the heel of his palm against his forehead. “Dammit…”

Squeezing his eyes shut tight, he slid his hand down to rub against his eyelids. He was tired. But, he couldn’t even think about sleep without worrying about where Valary was. Images of her curled up in a cell somewhere, scared shitless, filled his mind and he couldn’t stop the pained moan that escaped him.

“You really love her,” JD observed quietly as if the notion had only just dawned on him.

Matt lifted his eyes to the other man, and scowled. “No shit.”

“You know he does,” Brian mumbled, being roused from his semi-asleep state by their voices. “You tore him a new one for saying as much on the radio.”

JD sighed, “True that.”

Matt rubbed at his eyes some more then braced his elbows against the table-top. Brian looked at him. He met his friend’s worried gaze. Then he dragged his fingers over his head, shaking it slowly.

“I never thought I’d fall in love with her.” He gave a soft laugh. “Y’know, she was always asking me why I bought her.”

“Yeah?” Brian tilted his head to the side. “Why did you?”

JD was also interested to hear what Matt had to say regarding that. It wasn’t often he learned why a man would buy a slave. So, it was a new thing for him to hear. Matt glanced at the two men before looking down at the table top. He traced a finger along the surface gathering his thoughts before he responded.

Matt licked his lips as he started slowly, “The slave trade has been on my mind for a long time. It’s been common place for almost the whole history of our country, yeah?” He raised his eyebrows in question at the two men.

Brian nodded slowly, wondering where his friend was leading with this. JD indicated in the affirmative with a soft grunt.

“Right, so…yeah…it’s been on my mind. Long before I even…met Val.” Matt frowned, as he avoided the words. He scratched at his cheek feeling the beginnings of some stubble before he continued. “I’d always thought something had to be done about it. Y’know? Because people shouldn’t own people.” He laughed roughly. “I didn’t really think I could do anything about it, though…not until that Giovanni character showed up at our gig.”

Giovanni?” JD asked, surprise in his voice.

Matt looked at him. “You know him?”

“He’s a disgusting fat cunt. ‘Scuse my French,” JD snapped, venom dripping from his voice. “Worst there is. The Guild employs him.”

Brian shivered. Matt scowled. “That’s interesting. He said Val was damaged goods.”

“He would,” JD sneered. “Never has anything nice to say about anyone.” He shook his head angrily. “Especially not slaves.”

Matt rolled his eyes, “That was pretty obvious.” He sat back on his chair, crossing one knee over the other. “Anyway, I have no clue why he was at the gig. No clue why he had Val with him, but as soon as I set eyes on her I knew I had to get her away from him. No matter what it took.”

JD coughed a little before he said, “So, you bought her off him.”

Matt nodded and muttered sharply, “She looked so sad. Beaten down.” He cleared his throat. “It was in her eyes.” He smirked faintly. “Though there was a spark of life there, too.”

“I bet,” JD smiled. “It’s only the slaves who are practically dead that don’t share that same thirst for a real life.”

“Not something I want to think on,” Matt pointed out. “Anyway, I guess I just wanted to save her.” He allowed his chin to drop against his chest as he pressed his hands over his eyes again. His breaths were heavy as he paused and just thought for a moment. Brian and JD remained silent, giving him some mental space.

He pinched at the bridge of his nose as he remembered everything that had gone on in their lives in the last few months. The rules he had made, the way he had treated her. Granted it had still been a Master-slave relationship, early on, but his intent had never been anything more than to make her comfortable with him. He had saved her from someone, something, he thought she needed to be free from. Though it hadn’t ended the way he’d wanted it to.

Matt snorted in derision, breaking the quiet. “Guess I gotta go save her again, now.” He slapped his palm on the table. The sharp sound made the other two men jump a little. “I’m going to call Jimmy.” Matt stood abruptly and walked over to the bench where his cell phone was laying on top of the closed guidelines. He paused glowering at the cover before picking up his phone and hitting up the drummer’s number.

While he waited for Jimmy to pick up, JD leaned over to Brian and murmured, “Jimmy obviously isn’t bothered about being woken at this time of night?”

Brian shook his head with an amused chuckle, “Rev hardly sleeps. He can run on two hours a night.”

“Why would he call him?” was JD’s next question.

“He’s our best friend. He’ll probably be over at Zack’s which will mean they’ll both come over…if that’s why he’s calling him.” Brian frowned then added, “But, Jimmy’s been pretty close to Val in his way. We all have. He’ll most definitely want to be in on this.” He fell silent as Matt’s voice rose, strained and filled with anger.

“I know, Jimmy! It’s not my fucking fault. I didn’t want to be an ass to her.” He was leaning against the bench, phone clutched hard in his left hand. “Listen. I didn’t call to have you accuse me of not watching her.” He groaned and slid down to the floor and began to speak rapidly, his words tumbling over one another. They were barely intelligible and then all present, in the room and on the other end of the line, heard the hitching of his breath. Matt dropped his hand, the phone falling to the floor next to him as he finally allowed his guard to fall. “Shit…”

Jimmy’s voice could be heard, yelling from the speaker, but Matt didn’t move to pick it up, just stared down at it as his vision blurred. “Shit,” he repeated harshly. “I fucking love her, man…”

Brian got up and retrieved the phone pressing a couple of buttons to put it on speaker. The end of Jimmy’s sentence filled the otherwise quiet space, loud and unusually angry.

“-an idiot! For once maybe you should’ve made her go with you, what the fuck’s up with that?”

Matt just shook his head without responding.

Brian answered for him voice sharp, “He wasn’t to know something like this would happen.”

“Hah, maybe he should’ve. Seriously, I oughta hit him for that,” Jimmy snorted. “In fact, I might just do that. Give me a few.” He hung up before anyone could respond. Brian blinked then looked over at Matt.

Matt sighed, rubbing his eyes tiredly. “He can come with…” He looked over at JD, who shrugged in response.

“Sure, but I’d suggest only him, ‘kay? Can’t have too many hangers-on. No offence to you or your girl,” JD nodded to Brian. The guitarist just smiled tiredly and waved a dismissive hand.

Quiet settled over the three men, broken only by the sound of their breathing. The heaviness in the air hadn’t dissipated, though. They each knew it was unlikely to get better as the night drew on. Especially due to Matt’s growing anxiety.

He leaned his head back against the front of the kitchen counter, eyes closed. He breathed out roughly. Brian slumped back on his chair, smearing a hand through his hair. JD slouched opposite him, sinking into thought.

This was how Jimmy found them when he arrived. In a grim silence, none of them moved to acknowledge him as he let himself in. The front door was unlocked because Brian never bothered to secure it if he was at home. It wasn’t like anyone would risk tangling with him or his friends.

Jimmy raised his eyebrows at them then cleared his throat loudly.

Brian slowly turned his head to him. “Hey…”

Jimmy cocked his head to the side at him then allowed his gaze to travel across the room to where Matt was sitting. “Shads?”

Matt lifted his head but said nothing, just looked wearily at his friend. Jimmy frowned, all the harsh words he’d wanted to say to the singer draining away at the pain in his eyes. He walked over to join him, crouching down beside him.

“So, we gonna go get Val back?” he asked softly.

Matt nodded a tight motion that was barely perceptible. It was almost as if he dared not respond for fear that it would make matters worse. Jimmy could tell his friend was not confident, which was a surprise. The singer was one of the most fearless people he knew and for him to be all edgy like he was, was not normal. Which only highlighted the seriousness of the situation.

Matt looked up at his friend and answered his voice a growl, “I’m not going home until I have her with me.” He curled the fingers of his right hand into a hard fist and pounded it into the palm of his left. “Even if it takes all night…uh…all day.”

Jimmy snorted. “Gonna be a beat down, yeah?”

Matt shook his head. “I want to hit someone. Preferably Robert.” He blinked at his friend. “Fuck it, I’ll kill him.”

“Understand the sentiment,” Jimmy sighed. He looked at JD. “We really gotta wait?”

The big male nodded. “Yeah, been trying to tell your friend to get some shut eye.”

“He won’t sleep,” Jimmy countered softly, as he cast his eyes back to his friend. Matt had his eyes closed again one hand pressed over his face. “If something’s bothering him. He doesn’t sleep.” He smirked faintly, as he included Brian in the discussion. “Remember when we were starting out? Before we released Sounding?”

Brian chuckled, a sad sound. “Yeah, he refused to rest until we knew how it had been received.” His brow darkened. “Can’t imagine how much worse this is for him.”

“I’m right here, y’know,” Matt said, without opening his eyes. Jimmy placed a hand on his shoulder and squeezed it. Matt brushed at his hand and groaned. “Don’t…” The drummer grimaced, recognising the exhaustion written all over his friend’s features. Maybe he wouldn’t sleep, but he figured he had to try and get Matt to relax at least.

“Come on, dude.” Jimmy nudged him. “I’ll get you to bed. Guest room’s tidy, Bri?” This last he said to the guitarist who appeared to be close to nodding off. Brian inclined his head in acknowledgement. Jimmy hooked a hand under Matt’s arm and tugged at it. “C’mon, Shads. Just to lie down, ‘kay?” Matt groaned but allowed his friend to pull him up and lead him from the kitchen.

Jimmy poked his head into several rooms while Matt followed, dragging his feet. He finally got to the guest room and shoved the door open and went in moving aside to give his friend room to enter as well. Matt shuffled in and sat on the edge of the bed.

He glowered up at his friend. “I’m not sleeping.”

Jimmy leaned in the doorway arms crossed over his chest. “Don’t sleep then.”

Matt let out a moan and lay back, sprawled out over the mattress. “Fuck. What time is it?”

“Not even one yet.”

“Ugh. I can’t…” Matt pressed his forearm over his eyes as his breath hitched again, and he shivered a little. His thoughts were crowded in his mind and he didn’t know whether he could handle them. “Val…” he muttered. “God, I hope she’s okay…” His words were turned inward. Jimmy knew he wasn’t talking to him.

He shifted against the door frame, brow creased. As Brian had stated, he couldn’t imagine how hard this really was for his friend. He’d never seen him so hung up over a woman before. Matt could have any pick of the women in Huntington Beach, or LA, or wherever; however, he obviously had fallen hard for the slave that had come into his life. For that matter, Valary held a special place in all their lives. Jimmy definitely felt some sense of closeness to her. He cared that was for sure, and he would definitely do whatever he could to assist his friend.

“Jimmy,” Matt’s voice rumbled, tiredly. Jimmy blinked and brought his attention to his friend.

“Yeah, Matt?”

“She’ll be okay, right?” There was a weary undertone laced through his question. “Val will be okay…” He wanted reassurance; Jimmy couldn’t answer his friend’s query and he shook his head.

“Matt, I can’t tell you that.”

Matt closed his eyes and turned his head away as he mumbled, “I know. I’m sorry, Rev.” His chest rose and fell steadily, as he went still, and Jimmy realised that his friend, regardless that he said he wouldn’t, was just about falling asleep.

He leaned more against the frame and didn’t respond as he observed his friend. He could see the shift from alertness to slumber come over Matt as his breaths slowed and his bottom lip went slack. A tiny trickle of drool pooled at the corner of his mouth and he gave a soft snort. Jimmy smiled sadly at the sight before he moved away from the door and backed out, carefully closing the door over.
    the mice endure
    the mice endure

Post  the mice endure 9/20/2011, 11:17 pm

Part Thirty-Nine – “Please…”

There’s a commotion outside my room. I can’t really hear what’s going on, but I can sense it. The tension is absolute. Robert was here moments ago, telling me that things were looking up and for me to just sit tight – I’ve heard that before – I’ll be out of here soon. I don’t know whether to believe that, or not. My luck, it won’t happen. I’m a slave after all; at the end of it all nothing much good ever happens to me. And, that’s not being down on myself or anything, it’s just a fact of life.

Sure, Matt happened, but even that seems to have gone ass over heels. I know pinning my hopes on something as fleeting as a single master is probably the silliest thing I’ve ever done. I guess I got complacent, living with him…and the fact that… damn it, I love him….

Pressing the heel of my left palm over my eyes I rub furiously as the familiar sting of tears begins to overwhelm me. My breath catches as I fight not to succumb.

“Please,” whispering out loud, wishing someone will come, hoping someone is listening. “Please…”

And then it’s as if there is really someone up there who hears me because my door seems to just swing open – Robert mustn’t have locked it when he left. There’s no one there, but I can hear what’s going on now. Loud, angry voices are echoing along the corridors and the sound of what might be fighting reach my door. I don’t dare to get up to investigate. The whole self-preservation part of me at work. Instead, tucking my hands beneath my thighs, sitting frozen on the edge of the bed, I just listen.

Running feet approach and then Robert reappears, red in the face, shock in his eyes. He grips the edge of the door frame and looks in at me. I blink at him, wondering at the confusion in his expression.

“Val.” He frowns faintly, glancing back over his shoulder then back at me. “Come with me.” He disappears again without waiting for me to react.

I shake my head and gingerly get to my feet going to the door and leaning out into the corridor. Robert is at the end peering up and down an adjoining hallway. Stepping out of the room, I wrap my arms around myself as I head to where he’s standing.

Robert casts his gaze down at me as I come up next to him. “They’re here.”

It’s all he says, but it’s all I need to hear. Swallowing hard all I can do is nod in response. My stomach drops to somewhere in the vicinity of my nether region and my heart rate increases. It’s almost too much to hope for. That Matt, and the others, whoever they may be, are here…at the Guild. To… rescue me?

“You fucking son of a bitch!”

I gasp at the voice, as there’s this sudden blur of motion.

Next I know I’m on the floor on my ass and Robert is being swung away from me and against the wall. The heavy thud as his body hits the solid plasterboard reverberates under me and I shudder. Warm hands grasp me by the shoulders and urge me to my feet. I look up into the anxious blue eyes of Jimmy. Biting my lip, I can’t find words so just nod to him and let him pull me back out of the way of the other figures that are filling the corridor.

JD is standing to one side a dark scowl on his face. Then there’s Robert against the wall, arms up covering his face. Blinking hard I recognise the man that Robert is attempting to shield his head from.

Matt…

Matt has a fistful of his shirt in his hand and is pounding him, fury evident in each blow he manages to connect. No one is moving to stop him, not JD, not any of the officials who have appeared at the end of the hallway. Even Robert isn’t really trying to fight him off, just wanting to minimise the damage. He grunts as a particularly hard punch gets through his ineffective defence and glances across his left cheek.

I can’t stand to watch anymore, and turn away hiding my face against Jimmy’s chest. He obviously senses my discomfort and leads me away from the scene into one of the offices at the end of the corridor. He closes the door over and steers me over to the large desk that dominates the space. I plop myself down on the swivel chair behind it and look up at him, still unable to voice the thoughts speeding through my mind.

Jimmy leans against the edge of the desk and tilts his head at me, lifting his eyebrows, the corners of his mouth curving into a soft smile. I flush and look down, fiddling with my hands in my lap.

“Val, you okay?” his question sends a jolt through me, and I peek up at him. There’s real concern in his eyes. And that breaks my heart. Matt’s friends really do care about me. I swallow hard wiping the back of my hand across my eyes and nodding.

He raises his eyebrows, but before he can ask anything further the door swings open and an extremely dishevelled, angry looking Matt stalks in.

“Fuckin, ay. That bastard,” he growls, but then cuts his words short when his gaze settles on me. “Val.” My name comes from him in a strangled tone.

I peer up at him, unable to speak, feeling too much. Matt blinks then strides over and before I know it he has his arms around me, pulling me into a bone-crushing embrace. I gasp softly then just lean into him wrapping my own arms around his waist. He’s muttering unintelligible words into my hair, his breaths harsh and filled with an emotion I can’t fathom. Clinging to him, I inhale his unmistakeable scent, a mix of masculine odour and that spicy cologne he always uses. It brings more tears to my eyes.

Matt shivers then steps back a little, holding me at arm’s length a deep frown creasing his brow. “Are you hurt?” His voice is hard, promising pain to anyone if I have been. I shake my head and look down. “Are you sure?”

I nod slightly, “I’m sure. Nothing hurts…” Peeking up at him I try a smile. “Just glad you’re here.”

Matt’s lips twitch as he pulls me close again and exhales roughly. “Me too, Val.”

Jimmy speaks up then, drawing both our eyes toward him, “What happened with Robert?”

Matt grumbles and shakes his head, but then he obviously decides he has to say something because he grits out, anger still clear in his voice, “I hope I cracked a rib or two…bastard deserved it.”

“Yeah, well you might have got your wish there, Sanders,” the gruff voice that comes from the doorway causes me to jump a little. Matt’s arms tighten around me, but I’m still able to peer around him to see JD leaning against the doorframe.

“He’s a bit worse for wear, but it’s nothing he didn’t deserve,” the big man is surprisingly amused by the fact that his friend got beaten on by Matt. Matt blinks at JD then looks down at me in his arms.

He murmurs, “Guess there’ll be trouble?”

“None that we can’t handle,” JD promises with a grin. Matt seems about to protest, but he goes on in a firm voice, “Rob and I have had to deal with everything in our line of work. You and Val are not the first.” He grimaces. “And you sure as shit won’t be the last.”

Matt snorts, “Has he been beaten to a pulp before?”

JD laughs as he answers, “We’ve both gotten shot at a few times. Rob’s had one bullet miss a lung. So, a broken nose and a couple of cracked ribs are nothing.”

“Just a couple?” Jimmy interrupts scathingly, “He deserves more than that.”

The atmosphere becomes heavy once more after his statement. JD looks at the drummer and tilts his head in acknowledgement, expression grave. I can see he actually agrees with Jimmy’s sentiment. I know I do. Or at least, I think I do. Being a slave, I can’t really have an opinion on that. Or, I shouldn’t. Matt can, though. And judging by the darkness in his eyes, he probably is thinking along those lines.

He scowls then sighs, as he absently runs his fingers through my hair. “So, what happens now then?” His eyes are trained on JD again.

“Take her home. I’ll clean up the mess here.”

Matt’s brow furrows, “But won’t the Guild insist she stay here? Technically what I’m doing now is illegal.”

JD grunts, barely disguised disgust in his voice as he answers, “No, technically what the Guild did, by taking Val from your place, is illegal.”

What?” I can’t stop the word from flying out of my mouth. The three men look at me, all of them with expressions of surprise. Obviously, they think I’m too out of it to say anything. And I guess I still am, JD’s revelation just shocks me. Trembling, I repeat my question, but in a lower voice, “What do you mean, sir?”

JD crosses his arms as his eyes narrow at me, probably gauging how much he can say without confusing me. “Well, for them to lawfully remove you from your Master, the Guild is actually meant to produce paperwork stating their intention and for him to sign you over to them. They can’t just snatch and run. Everything is meant to be documented.” He glances at Matt as he adds, “Just in case the Courts need to be involved at any stage.”

There’s quiet for a moment before Matt growls, “So, you mean, I could sue the Guild for not following protocol?” I feel the tension in his body increase; his arms tighten around me. I wriggle a little and he relaxes his hold, muttering, “Sorry, Val…” I just turn and nuzzle into his chest. He strokes my hair as he asks again, “You’re saying they could be in the shit for this?”

I turn my head back around curious to hear the other male’s answer and catching JD’s lips twist in a cold smirk as he nods slowly.

“Very much so.” He chuckles the sound holding no mirth whatsoever. “Rob and I have actually been waiting for them to make a slip-up like this. Gives us some ammunition against them.”

Matt nods, but then frowns more, “But, they know about the whole love issue, right?”

“There is that,” JD murmurs, “but, the Guild still has to do things by the letter of the law, even in that regard.” He pushes away from the doorframe, entering the room to lean against the edge of the desk. Jimmy shifts to give him room. He flashes a smile at him before he sighs and continues, “Of course, we’ll still have to sort things out concerning…that. But, you don’t need to worry about it for now. Just take her home, Shads.”

“Alright…” Matt’s not happy but I can tell that he knows there isn’t really anything he can do about it. The tightness of his muscles is still very evident to me though, and I have a feeling he’ll want to relieve himself once we get home.

Home. That word has never meant much to me before, but right now… it means everything. I mean, of course I’ve always wanted to have a home, but it has never rung so true as it does now. Peeking up at Matt, I watch as several different emotions struggle for domination, his eyes are dark as he works his jaw furiously. Then he groans as he squeezes me, meeting my gaze.

“Come on, Val. Let’s get out of here.” He takes my hand, stroking his thumb along the back of it as he says over his shoulder to Jimmy, “You can drive.”

The drummer rolls his eyes as he moves away from the desk, nodding to JD as he follows us out of the room.

Matt is silent the whole way back to the house; I can’t help but think he is being unusually quiet. Of course, it’s probably partially due to exhaustion. I can tell you I’m absolutely beat. Leaning into his side, I’m fighting to keep my eyes open. I don’t want to sleep until we get back. Matt’s obviously battling the same thing because he keeps blinking hard as his arm tightens around my shoulders.

Jimmy, who’s driving, is also quieter than normal. He’s only said about five words since we left the Guild. All of them to do with how much he thinks the Guild are dicks and need to be castrated…or something like that. I’m not really listening…

Before too long we’re home and Matt is bundling me out of the car and inside. I can vaguely hear Jimmy talking, saying something about going back to Brian’s to tell them I’m back, but it all fades in the back of my mind as I’m just about falling asleep on my feet.

Next I know, Matt is setting me down on the bed and pulling the cover over me. He must’ve carried me in at some stage, I can’t even remember. He collapses next to me not bothering to undress; just wraps himself around me and mutters something about sleep and dealing with shit tomorrow and stuff...

Tomorrow… the fact that we even have a tomorrow together to think about… my mind can’t wrap itself around that thought…and I’m too out of it to really think on it… tomorrow… tomorrow we can deal with it all. My mind flickers as I drift off, snuggling in closer to Matt’s big body, warm and safe.
    CiaraCobb
    CiaraCobb

Post  CiaraCobb 10/25/2011, 3:24 pm

I'm such a slacker! Sorry, this one computer thing is driving me INSANE! I'm so glad Matt has got Val back, I've been on edge with this fic for months! JD's little line about it being illegal for them to just take Val like that is interesting, can I see Matt bringing down the system for love?
    the mice endure
    the mice endure

Post  the mice endure 3/5/2012, 3:39 pm

So, finally after...five months. Here's an update Very Happy

Part Forty – "He's all about you."

“He was out for ten minutes that was it. I was about to leave the room to go back to Syn and JD, and he just fuckin’ woke up again. Mad as Hell, Val. He wanted to come get you right there and then.”

Jimmy is regaling me with last night’s-this morning’s events that lead to them coming to get me. To save me. We’re in the kitchen at the Sanders’ house. Matt’s parents are out and it’s just us…us being Jimmy, Brian, Matt, JD and me. I’m sitting next to Matt at the breakfast counter, eating breakfast. No surprise there…considering it’s called a…. Anyway, what was I saying? Jimmy was telling me about last night…with the others interjecting on the way.

“Yeah,” Brian speaks up, “so we kinda gave in and got to the Guild as if there was a fire in our pants.”

“There was a fire in Shads’ pants,” Jimmy smirks.

Matt, who has one arm slung around my shoulders, snorts as he retorts, “What the fuck? No.”

“You know what I mean, Matt,” Jimmy grins at him. Matt just rolls his eyes. I lean my head against his shoulder as he gets his piece in.

“Yeah, anyway, it was just frickin’ madhouse. Security guards didn’t want to let us in, but then JD flashed some plastic at him and we were in, just like that.”

“Advantage of being on their payroll,” JD comments drily.

“True…how much do you get?”

“Enough to be worth the risk.”

“Oh.” Matt looks surprised then he frowns. “So, a shit load?”

JD actually grimaces as if he’s tasted something bad. “Yeah, it’s risky business doing what we do.” I glance at him curiously. But, it’s Matt who asks the pertinent question.

“You and…Robert?”

“Yeah.” JD nods carefully; he knows, as we all do, how much anger Matt feels toward the other man.

“Damn…”

“Yeah, it gets that way. Still, we’ve done good. So, I always think as long as that happens, I’ll keep at it.” JD scratches at the back of his neck, glancing up at the clock on the wall. “Speaking of which…I’d better go. There’s some things I need to sort out.” He pushes away from the wall where he’s leaning and nods to Matt. “You’ll be hearing from me soon. And don’t worry, I’ll be back in the studio whenever you need me next. That isn’t just a front.” He smiles as he makes that last statement.

Matt chuckles, “Good to hear. Think you might do that fulltime, ever?”

“Maybe if the other stuff wears me down. Maybe.” JD tips his fingers in a salute and leaves.

I watch him go, my mind still too full after last night’s events. Still not sure how I’m supposed to feel after everything. But, I guess it’s good that Matt, Brian and Jimmy are here, and JD to an extent. They can do all the thinking about it. I can just rely on them, for now.

“Val. Val?” Matt’s trying to get my attention; I stop my pondering and glance at him. He smiles. “Wanna get out of here? We could go to the beach.”

Jimmy interjects before I can answer, “Maybe you should swim in the pool…might not be the greatest idea to go wandering out in public after our little rescue operation.”

Matt looks at his best friend with a grimace as if he’s tasted something sour. I can tell he doesn’t like being told what to do, but as his brow furrows the drummer just gives him a pointed look. Matt sighs and nods.

“Yeah, you’re right.” He looks at me again, a sheepish grin touching the corners of his mouth. “Sorry, Val. Looks like we’ll have to finally use the pool.”

I giggle, “Well, you did clean it out…seems such a waste not to.” He laughs and squeezes my shoulders. I wiggle out of his hold and head for the door. He gets up and follows leaving Jimmy in the kitchen. Brian follows us as well, heading for the front door saying he’ll catch up with us at the studio.

I gasp, spluttering as I’m caught off guard by Jimmy who has just literally thrown me into the pool. Surfacing, I start to glare at the drummer but instead find myself laughing as Matt shoves the taller male in next to me. Jimmy flounders next to me and mutters curses at his friend. Matt just smirks as he wades in from the steps.

“That’s for throwing Val in,” he chuckles. Jimmy splashes him and swims over to the other side. Matt joins me in the middle, treading water as he wraps his arms around my waist. I lean back against him, feeling secure in his grip. He smiles and nuzzles into my neck; I shiver at the contact.

Jimmy rolls his eyes and laughs, "Go get a room!"

"You get out!" Matt retorts. "This is our pool." I blink at his use of the word 'our'. The fact he's including me makes me feel warm inside; I smile up at him. He flashes his dimples at me, wriggling my body gently. Then he looks back over at Jimmy. “Don’t you have somewhere to be?”

Jimmy snorts, “Studio in your dad’s garage? You should be too.”

Matt rolls his eyes as he rocks me gently from side to side. I lean back into him, allowing my legs to float a little. The drummer lifts his eyebrows.

“We need to get this album done…”

“I know, Rev,” Matt sighs as he smooths a hand along one of my arms. I peek up at him, noting the distant expression in his eyes. His mind is far away, and the little crease in his brow is evidence enough that he’s anxious over everything.

“Matt?” I ask softly. He blinks and meets my eyes. I smile at him. “It’s going to be okay, sir…” I know, I can’t help but address him that way. He smiles and nuzzles into the back of my neck. He says nothing though and then the quiet is broken by Jimmy splashing us and Bella barking from the side of the pool.

I laugh as Matt breaks away from me and attempts to tackle his friend in the water, the two men going under in a tangle of limbs. Bella keeps barking, her voice getting louder. I frown looking over to her. The tone is changing, that deep protective sound coming through. Matt’s head breaks the surface of the water and he grimaces, also looking over at the blonde dog.

She’s run over to the gate and is jumping up at it, growling now.

“What the fuck’s up with her?” Jimmy asks. Matt shakes his head and springs deftly out of the pool and goes to her, pulling her away from the gate and peering through the latch hole. His expression darkens and he pulls back.

“Get Val into the house, Jimmy…it’s…” Matt scowls, peeking through again. “I’m not sure…but it doesn’t look good.”

Jimmy nods and without ceremony scoops me into his arms and carries me out of the pool. I cling to his shoulders, making no noise to ask what’s going on. I’m bound to find out soon, and as it is, I probably don’t even want to know.

We go into the living room; Jimmy sets me on the sofa where my journal happens to be laying. Jimmy notices it and picks it up, handing it to me. I smile softly at him and settle down, opening it to the last page, and blinking to see another message inside, not in my handwriting.

Valary,

We love you. All of us. You gotta trust us when we tell you this. And, Matt…he loves you more than he’s willing to admit. If he could, he’d spend the rest his life with you. No kidding. He’s seriously in deep. He was a fucking mess when he found out you were gone.

I’ve never seen him like that over a girl before. I mean, he had girlfriends…and…well…your sister. Your sister and him…they had a thing once. Not sure if he ever told you that? When we were in school. Only lasted about two months, but. God knows why they even got together in the first place. Then Chelle hooked up with some rich jerk…and Matt was cut, but he just started acting like a bigger ass to her to hide it.

And then she fell for Syn…I think Matt resented her for that. But, he was happy for Syn…we all were. But, yeah…Matt didn’t go out with anyone else after that, really…just casual flings. And then being in the band…who the fuck wouldn’t wanna be with a guy in a band? But, to be honest, he wasn’t happy. Not until you came along.

Funny that you’re Michelle’s twin…full circle, I reckon. Full circle.

Jimmy

I stop reading and blink hard in surprise. Jimmy notices my look.

“What is it, Val?”

I swallow hard before whispering, “Matt had a thing for my sister?”

Jimmy flushes but to his credit doesn’t deny my question. “Yeah…he did. I think he was kinda attracted to the fact that she was a bitch to him. But…he was young and immature then. We all were.”

I look down, unsure of how to process this piece of information. “What about now?”

Jimmy smiles, “You read the rest of that message?” I nod. He goes on, “Then you don’t need to worry about that. He’s all about you.”

I feel my cheeks go pink, then murmur, “But…it’s no wonder he and Chelle don’t like to talk about what went on between them…” I trail off and look toward the door as Matt comes back into the house. He’s looking a lot more relaxed than before. “Sir?”

He gives me a look, “Valary, stop calling me that.”

“Sorry, habit…”

Jimmy adds, “Give her time, man…anyway, what was the problem?”

Matt shakes his head as he goes to the window and looks out. “It was Robert.”

I shiver and set my journal down, watching him. He glances over at me and smiles. “He wanted to say how sorry he was about all this. And that he understands why I…lost it.”

“We all understand that,” Jimmy retort. I nod in agreement. Matt grimaces and returns his gaze to the window.

“He thinks we won’t be bothered by the Guild for a while, at least. He and JD have enough to start the next phase of their assignment…whatever that means.” Matt rubs at his scalp then turns and joins me on the sofa. I shift a little as he sits next to me. He tilts his head at me; I just smile at him. He exhales, in a rough sound then hugs me close again.

Jimmy smiles at us then glances at his phone. “So…when’re we heading to your parents?”

Matt flaps a hand at him, pulling me closer in the circle of his arms. “Later, Rev…”

Jimmy nods and gets up. “Well, I’ll give you some privacy, then. See you later.” I peek over at him and give a little wave. He winks at me, nodding to Matt before walking out.
    CiaraCobb
    CiaraCobb

Post  CiaraCobb 3/5/2012, 5:51 pm

*hugs The Aviators* Man I've missed you!!!!!!

Marly, you rule for updating this, I know Creed is kicking your proverbial ass right now but I'm kinda glad you had this place where you could kinda vent.

The note from Jimmy, that was so sweet, although I can sort of see the thing about Chelle blowing up at some point in the near future. Also a little worried about what "the next phase of their assignment" means for JD and Robert. They better not be trying to screw with Matt and Val again.

*squeals and hugs some more*
    the mice endure
    the mice endure

Post  the mice endure 3/25/2012, 11:24 pm

That was a good update for me...but now I'm stuck again, but that's because I have Shads Creed Matt stuck in my head lol. Very Happy

CiaraCobb
    CiaraCobb

Post  CiaraCobb 3/29/2012, 4:21 pm

It was an excellent update, *waits patiently for more*
    the mice endure
    the mice endure

Post  the mice endure 6/28/2012, 12:44 pm

And here it is, finally after months and months...hope it's worth the wait.

Part Forty-One – Cute nose

I don’t really know how to feel right now. Too many emotions. Michelle and Matthew. Two months. It’s a bit much to even think on. But, maybe writing it down might help me process it a little more. I can’t even begin to imagine what that would have been like. I mean, they don’t even really like each other now…as we are all well aware of…

I can’t even figure out how that must make him feel now, seeing as my sister is now engaged to one of his best friends. I mean, sure…they were together barely any amount of time and who knows what their relationship was actually like, but…it worries me a bit. Because, you know, maybe the reason he’s attracted to me has something to do with her. I mean, we are identical twins…so is it me he…has feelings for, or the fact that I remind him of Chelle?

I don’t even know what to think…my thoughts make no sense right now. This journal entry is probably incoherent and pointless…

Anyway, we’re at the studio right now, JD’s here and all the guys. I’m just trying to let the music wash over me, and their laughter and voices and just…everything. It’s oddly comforting to know that they’re there for me.

“Val? Val, come listen to this,” Matt’s smiling down at me where I’m sitting on the single couch in the corner of the tiny studio. I close my journal and get up to join him and the others in front of the computer. Jimmy grins at me and hits the play button as Matt comes up behind me, wrapping his arms around my shoulders. I lean back into his big body as the first chords fill the room.

“Really cool,” I murmur softly, tilting my head to look up at Matt. He smiles and presses his lips to my forehead. A shiver runs through me and inexplicably a sudden tingle between my thighs. I pull away from Matt, causing a look of confusion to pass across his face. I shake my head at him as his brow furrows.

“Val?”

I keep shaking my head and go back to my seat, grabbing my journal. Matt frowns and joins me, sitting next to me.

“Talk to me.” His voice low, anxiety evident. I shake my head more, refusing to answer.

My emotions are all over the place again. I’m still not entirely comfortable with my body’s reactions to him. My brain is telling me one thing – I want him! – yet, my emotions want me to run away from him and never come back. Arousal really is not what I want to be feeling right now; yet, at the same time I really want to feel his hands all over my body. I can’t sort my thoughts out, or make sense of them. I know I wanted him to push me…that one time after my parents’ rejected me…but now I don’t know what I want…or what I need.

Matt sighs softly and wraps an arm around my shoulders, squeezing gently. “When you’re ready…”

I peek up at him and smile softly, thankful that he cares so much for me. He smiles back and gets up again, going back over to the others. I watch as he walks over, marvelling, not for the first time, that I ended up with him and not with some asshole. I mean…how lucky am I, really? Very lucky, I’d say. Though, I do have a niggling worry that something might go wrong; then again after the whole Robert debacle, maybe I’ve been pre-disastered now. You never know, though. After all, life is unpredictable.

“Val!” Jimmy plops himself next to me. I only jump slightly and manage a small smile. He gives me an apologetic look. I just shake my head not really in the mood to talk to anyone. He squeezes me gently around the shoulders. “What’s doing?”

“Nothing,” I mumble and look down. I must look like I’m worried about something because Jimmy makes me look at him. His usually twinkling blue eyes are softer, warmer concern in their depths.

“Val…”

I bite my lip. He’s genuinely anxious for me. I start to shake my head but he gives me a look. I sigh, glancing over to Matt who’s talking quietly to Johnny. I gaze at his profile for a moment then look back at Jimmy.

“I’m scared that I’ll…lose this…everything good in my life always ends in shit happening. Always.” I look at him with a pained expression on my face; I can feel the tension in my brow.

Jimmy mirrors my look then pulls a face. “Not this time. We’re all here committed to making sure of that. I mean, fuck…Matt’s even willing to face charges for interfering with the Guild. I mean…you’ve told us it’s…kinda against the rules for you two to be in love, right? Shads could be arrested or some shit, right?”

I flush looking away and muttering, “That’s what I’m afraid of…”

Jimmy hugs me gently then leans back on his seat. “It wouldn’t stick. We’ve the best lawyers in town.”

I can’t help but smile at that. Then shake my head. “The Guild are a multi-national corporation…it’s worldwide…how could you beat that?”

Jimmy laughs softly, “Don’t you worry your cute nose about that. We’ve got you covered.” I blink at him, wrinkling my nose.

“My nose isn’t cute…and why do you care anyway? I’m just a slave.”

Jimmy grimaces but it isn’t him who answers.

Zacky sits on my other side and says in a somewhat sharp voice, “You’re not just a slave. You’re Michelle’s twin which makes you family. And, your nose is cute.”

I blush at the last, then frown at my sister’s name. “Chelle…” I look over toward Matt again. Zacky and Jimmy follow my gaze. Then the guitarist frowns at Jimmy.

“You told her about?”

Jimmy nods, “I thought she should know…Shads wasn’t going to say anything.” I look at them both.

“You all knew?”

Zacky chuckles, “Everyone knew. Those two…it was an odd matchup. But, it was serious. As much as a two month thing can be serious.”

Jimmy nods, “They were just together one day, like that.” He snaps his fingers together; I shiver. He goes on, “It shocked all of us. Everyone at school too. I mean it wasn’t sappy or anything like that. But, they sat at school together, and held hands…shit like that.”

Zacky adds with a murmur, “They never slept together, though.” I blink at his statement realising maybe he’s trying to reassure me it wasn’t that deep.

I look away not wanting him to see the look on my face. Part of me is relieved to hear that. Even, though if he had it wouldn’t have been my business or my place to get jealous. Matt can sleep with whoever he wants. I have no power over that. Jimmy catches my look, though and smiles.

“Matt had morals, y’know? He was a virgin until he was twenty-one…”

Zacky snorts. “You sure you should be telling her that?”

“Well, it’s true,” the drummer retorts.

“True or not…”

“True or not,” Brian cuts in causing the three of us to jump and look at him. He smirks and continues, “Maybe you should let Matt finish telling her about that.”

Jimmy scoffs, “What, that Chelle dumped him and went out with some jerk then fell for you?”

Brian rolls his eyes, crossing his arms over his chest. “I think you owe him a bit of loyalty, she knows enough.” I bite my lip sensing that he’s not particularly happy with them talking about Michelle.

“It’s okay…I did ask…” I murmur. Brian’s expression softens as he meets my eyes and he nods slightly before going back over to Matt and Johnny. Zacky rolls his eyes after his friend but then returns his eyes to me.

He says softly, “Anyway, back to you, Val. You’re family. So that’s why we care. Screw the slave shit.” Jimmy nods in agreement; I smile shyly, lowering my eyes to the floor.

“Thank you,” I have no other words. What else can I say? I’ve never felt accepted like this before. I’m so used to having to be strong for myself.

I peek up at them they just smile back at me; and the thing that moves me most is that there is no pity in their faces. Those smiles are real, happy smiles ones that family share. The kind of familiar looks that I only have vague memories of. I shiver a little at the sensation of feeling like I belong. Because that’s what their looks give me. I can’t fathom it, but at the same time it feels just the way it should.

And how weird is that?

“Anyway, we love you and want you to be happy.” Jimmy is talking to me and I only just realise and start laughing. He blinks at me and for some unexplainable reason I can’t stop. The sound just roils out of me and I start shaking as I laugh more. Matt notices and comes over, leaving his discussion with Johnny, who also glances over a bemused look showing. JD has joined him and is watching as well, eyebrows raised.

I can’t stop, doubling over slightly, almost winded. Matt pushes Jimmy aside and sits next to me.

“Val…Val?” He touches my shoulder. I stop instantly, looking up at him, panting. He tilts his head confusion on his face. “You okay?”

“I…I’m fine…just…I don’t even know…” I blink at him then my eyes cloud and next I know I’m clinging to him, sobbing my heart out. “Matt…” I whimper into his chest, feeling pathetic. He just holds me, rocking me gently.

The others get up, moving away to give us some privacy. I lean into Matt and sigh softly finally calming down. He smiles at me, stroking my hair.

“Better?” I nod, smiling back. He nuzzles gently. “Good. Still got a lot to do. Wanna come sit with me now? JD wants to show us a few things.”

I nod again, feeling more relaxed now. But then I think about what Jimmy and Zacky said about Michelle and I place a hand on Matt’s arm. He looks at me expectantly.

I bite my lip. “Um…before we do…can I ask you something?”

“Sure?”

I hesitate, not sure how he’ll respond but really needing to go there. “Jimmy told me something about you and Chelle…and I want to talk to you about it…later, if that’s okay?” For a minute it looks like he won’t answer and his expression darkens slightly, but then he smiles and nods, shooting a look towards Jimmy as he responds in a gentle tone.

“Of course. Later.”

I relax as if a great weight has lifted from my shoulders. “Thanks…we can go listen now?”

He grins and kisses the top of my head again. “Come on, back to work.”

I giggle and follow him back over to the others and we sit and wait for JD to start his spiel.
    the mice endure
    the mice endure

Post  the mice endure 1/8/2013, 11:19 pm

Part Forty-Two - "Because it isn't enough."

Robert shook his head glowering at the documentation in front of him. JD leaned over and prodded at the top file.

“We have everything we need, why do you look like someone vomited all over your favourite shirt?”

“Because it isn’t enough.” Rob braced his elbows against the desk that he was seated at. JD observed his partner in crime with a scowl. Rob glared at him, anger in his eyes. “Would that it were. We can’t hope to pin shit on the Guild if we don’t have the right information.”

“So, what do we do?”

“We need concrete proof.”

JD blinked. “Such as?”

Robert sighed and looked at him hard. “You think you could talk Sanders into bringing Val in with him?”

“Jesus, no,” he groaned. “What the fuck’re you thinking? We can’t drag them through the mud like that. And we can’t bring them here. It’ll jeopardise the case.”

The other male growled, “Then what do you propose we do? I would think using them would work in our favour.”

“You do remember he hates you.”

“Yes, but you could convince him.”

JD started to shake his head. “I couldn’t do that. He wouldn’t trust me again and y’know that’d fuck up our working relationship.”

“Yeah? How’s that doing?” Robert glanced askance at his friend, noting the flush to his cheeks. He knew that JD was enjoying the whole music tech thing. It was actually doing him some good. Made him a lot more pleasant to work with.

JD smirked. “Pretty good, spent the afternoon working through tracks.” He shrugged. “It’s been a learning curve.”

“I bet. But, you gotta focus on this. And I know I’m right. Bring them in.” Robert’s voice hardened on the last words his expression letting the other man know he wouldn’t budge on it.

JD relented with a sigh and pulled out his phone to make the call.

Matt frowned as he hung up with JD and glowered at the ceiling above him. He and Val were curled up in the living room, watching some random music channel. He hadn’t been expecting any calls as they’d arrived back from the studio about an hour ago and were winding down for the night. No one ever called so late, usually. Except JD.

He sighed a little, trying not to make it too obvious. But, Val who was ever vigilant glanced up at him an anxious look appearing on her face.

“Matt?” She was still not quite used to using his name when addressing him, but he could tell it was becoming easier because the usual edge wasn’t there.

He shook his head and crossed his arms, jaw clenching hard. He was too shocked by the audacity of the other male to explain what he was thinking to her. But then he noticed the way Val seemed to shrink back and realised he must have been glaring at her. He rubbed at his face and groaned.

“Fuck, Val…it was JD.” Matt squeezed her around the waist then pushed to his feet and looked down at her, eyes dark. She gazed up at him the trust in her expression so clear, so filled with guile that he knew he had to be completely honest with her. “He wants me to bring you down to the Guild.” He paused, gauging her response.

Val swallowed hard and shook her head slowly. “No…I can’t go back there…I…” Her voice faltered and she wrapped her arms around herself, beginning to tremble. Matthew frowned and sat next to her again, pulling her into his arms. “I can’t,” she whispered into his chest. He stroked a palm over her back gently.

“We might not have much choice.”

“Why?” She looked up at him, brow furrowed in consternation.

Matt grimaced. “He says it may be the only way to catch the Guild out for their wrongdoing.” Val frowned even more.

“I don’t see how us being there could help?”

“Neither. But, I’m not willing to risk not going.”

Val inhaled deeply then shook her head again. “What about us…the whole…you know?”

“Being in love?” Matt snorted. “If they were going to arrest me…or do anything to you they should’ve done it while you were there. I’ll not let anything happen to you.” His arms tightened around her in a protective gesture. She smiled softly and relaxed into his body as she returned her focus to the TV. He followed suit burying his serious thoughts for the moment.

Later on, Val sat in bed writing in her journal. Matthew was getting ready for bed, the usual routine, shower, brush teeth then checking to make sure all the lights were off in the house. Bella snuck in and lay on the rug on Val’s side of the bed as Matt returned from his rounds and flopped next to her with a sigh. Val glanced up from her journal, pen paused over the page.

“Hmm?” Matt looked at her, one eyebrow lifted. She shook her head as her cheeks flushed and she lowered her eyes. He frowned. “Valary…”

Val stared at the page in front of her and shifted uncomfortably beneath the sheets. Matt frowned more.

“What’s wrong?”

She chewed on her bottom lip then shook her head again. “I’m not ready…”

Matt tilted his head to the side. “Not ready? For what, hun?”

Val blushed deeply and muttered almost under her breath, “Need you…”

Matthew blinked hard and reached over to turn her face to his. “What do you mean?”

She trembled, eyes wide and too bright. He could read the fear in her eyes and understood what it was that she wanted. He exhaled roughly, also understanding what she was saying. He sighed and let go of her chin. Once upon a time he would have acted upon the look in her eyes. Taken what he wanted, been excited by the fact that she said she needed something…but now he listened to her plea and knew he couldn’t do that to her. She wasn’t ready and he wasn’t going to force himself on her. Because that’s the way it felt. It was still too soon.

“Val, I don’t think we should go there.”

She glanced up at him, surprise evident in her eyes. He smiled softly.

“You still need time. And I can wait.” He stroked her cheek gently then lay back with a sigh. She set her journal aside and looked at him.

“But…you have needs…”

Matt chuckled. “Don’t you worry about me.”

She narrowed her eyes, thoughts flashing across her eyes. He groaned, squeezing her hand.

“My left hand’s been getting a work out. Don’t worry…you’re the only woman for me.”

Val blushed at his confession and looked away but then she frowned slightly. “Can I ask you something?”

Matthew nodded as he shifted on his side. “Sure.”

“You and Chelle…” Val hesitated, uncertain how he would respond. He sighed heavily.

“Really want to know?”

She nodded. “Please…I just…”

Matthew’s tone darkened as he said, “No, I get it. You’re worried that my feelings for you come from the fact that you look like her.” He raked tense fingers over his hair which was starting to grow again. “It was only two months, Val…a fling. I was enamoured with her. She was way outta my league, though.” He chuckled, sourly. “Our personalities clashed. And I really think we only dated because she thought it was cool to be with the captain of the basketball team.”

“But, you were hurt when she called it off?” Val asked tentatively, thinking on what Jimmy had told her.

Matt rolled his eyes. “Well, I had strong feelings for her. And she was a bitch about it.” He shook his head in self-disgust. “I was immature then…couldn’t handle shit like that.” He gave a tight smile. “And you know the rest…”

Val nodded. “I still don’t understand, though…”

“She was attractive, smart, funny…cared about her friends, would do anything for them. I wanted to be with someone like that.” Matt sighed looking at Val. “I never thought she was all bad. She just didn’t trust people easily. I guess I can understand why now…having you in my life.”

“Oh?”

“Well, you’re her twin. You being abandoned obviously affected her.” Matthew nuzzled into her neck gently, pulling her close. “And, then finding out what happened to you…”

“Wait…what do you mean?” Val pulled back and looked at him. “She didn’t know until I showed up with you?”

Matt sighed, shaking his head. “She actually knew a long time before that. But, she never talked about it. Only once…and she was drunk off her face. Otherwise she wouldn’t have been talking to me.”

“When…?” Val was shocked.

“When she got with Brian the second time…just before we started getting serious with the band.” Matt frowned. “I know…it came as surprise to me too. Went a long way to understanding her bitterness. Don’t really know why she directed it at me, though.” He laughed softly. “Guess she needed a scapegoat.”

Val nodded then yawned as she snuggled into him. Matthew smiled gently.

“I think someone’s sleepy…”

“Mhm…” Val closed her eyes. He stroked her hair tenderly, sighing softly.

“Sleep, hun…”

“But…”

“I’m not going anywhere. We can continue this conversation in the morning.”

Val murmured assent as she drifted off to sleep. Matt remained awake, watching over her.
    the mice endure
    the mice endure

Post  the mice endure 7/21/2013, 2:56 pm

I don't know why I never updated this. I wrote this update months ago...I am stuck on chapter 44...I maybe have to re-read my own story just to get back into the flow. At any rate, please enjoy this chapter Smile

Part Forty-Three – “The money’s all there.”

Michelle is the best. I can’t even explain how, really. She just is. She told Matt that there was no way I was going into the Guild unless everyone…all the guys…the girls came as well. I can’t even fathom the amount of love she has for me. I guess it’s a twin thing, hey? Matt’s laughing at her; he actually seems genuinely relieved about it all.

It’s been a week since JD called and told Matt we had to go in. In the meantime, the band has been working hard on their album and I’ve been hanging out with the girls. Oh, guess what? It’s my birthday soon. My real honest to God birthday. I mean…I never celebrated my birthday…always remembered the date, always made a wish that everything would get better.

“So, what do we want to do, girls?” Lacey is flipping through a party organiser a serious expression on her face. We’re at Brian and Michelle’s house going over plans for my, well mine and Michelle’s, birthday. The girls have decided that a big party is in order. Invite all the relatives…including my parents. Our parents.

I glance at Michelle who is sitting opposite me, a thoughtful look on her face.

Matt who wandered in to ask if we all wanted a drink and is now sitting next to me piped up, “We could have it at The Palms in Vegas.”

“I don’t know…would everyone fly to Vegas just for a birthday party?” Michelle frowns.

Leana adds, “And we don’t want to overwhelm Val.” She nods to me and smiles. I flush and look away, leaning against Matt’s shoulder. He holds me gently and shrugs.

“Just a suggestion.”

“Shouldn’t you be helping the guys?” Lacey asks with a raised eyebrow.

Matt shakes his head; I feel him move against me. “They’re talking with JD…about the whole Guild thing. I can’t…” He trails off and nuzzles into my hair.

“So, you’d rather sit here and listen to us girls organising a party,” Gena chuckles. “Forgive us if we bore you.”

Matt lifts his shoulders again. “I can tune you out.” I peek up at him and he smiles, giving me a light squeeze. “Anyway, I’ll get your drinks and come back.” I get up as he does and head for the door. He follows me out and hugs me from behind as we walk to the kitchen.

“You should go back and talk with them.”

I shake my head. “I’m worried.”

“About?” Matt stops me and turns my body so I’m facing him.

“My parents.” Biting my lip. He squeezes me again expression serious.

“If they do anything to make you uncomfortable, we’ll ask them to leave.”

I blink slowly then shake my head. “No…I’d rather leave…it is Chelle’s birthday too and I’m sure she’ll want them to stay.” And part of me wants them to stay too…I really, really want them to be part of my life. No matter the circumstances. I don’t say any of this, though, just look at him.

Matt frowns. “I’ll talk to her.” His tone suggests that I shouldn’t argue with him. I don’t. I know there’s no point. I just nod as he keeps walking, steering us into the kitchen.

Brian and JD are there, talking in low voices. I jolt slightly because Rob is there as well. He glances over at us a grim expression on his face. Matt heads for the fridge, pointedly ignoring them. I stand near the door, uncertain whether to leave or stay.

“Val?” I turn my head as Michelle appears behind me. I smile slightly as she rests a hand on my shoulder. “Can I talk to you, sis?” I nod slightly, glancing across at Matt. He catches my eye and smiles faintly as he shuts the fridge, several bottles of orange juice in hand. I point toward my sister; he nods and waves his hand at me as he turns to join the men.

“Alright,” I nod to Michelle. “We can go outside and talk.” She smiles slightly and we head out the back sliding doors and stand by the pool. The water looks inviting so I sit at the edge, kicking off my shoes and dangling my toes in it. Michelle joins me and lets out a soft sigh.

“So…Mom and Dad…” she says softly. I nod, glancing at her. She smiles faintly. “I spoke to them about our birthday. They say…they want to make up for what happened at the engagement party.” She bites her lip.

I look away and murmur, “I’m not mad at them. I know it had to be hard for them to have me…there…all of a sudden.” And that’s the honest truth. I was hurt, still am…but I can’t be angry with them. I haven’t been a part of their life…so the shock must have been crazy.

Michelle touches my shoulder lightly. “Val?”

I look at her, scrunching up my face. “Yeah?”

“They’re going to try…”

I nod slowly as I splash with my feet, looking into the pool. “Me too…I want it to work. But, only ‘cause they’re family. I mean, it’s not like I really know them anymore.” I bite my lip. “I was so young.”

Michelle sighs, “Yeah. We were.”

I laugh suddenly. “And maybe we’ll actually get along?”

Michelle pushes my shoulder gently. “Who wouldn’t like you? You’re sweet, funny, loving…”

I give her a look. “That’s kinda what Matt said about you.”

My sister stares at me, surprise on her face. “He did?”

I flush and look down. “He did.”

“Wow, wonders will never cease…that man…” Michelle shakes her head. “Honestly, woman? What have you done to him?”

Shrugging, I smile at her. “I haven’t done anything.” She tilts her head at me and smiles; a warm expression. Blushing, I look away again. Then I feel her arms come around my shoulders and she squeezes me firmly.

“You two are great together, Val.” She sits back a little and looks me directly in the eyes. “We’re going to make sure that things stay this way.” Her mouth twitches a little as she adds, “Minus the whole slave thing.”

I blink at her. “What?”

Michelle giggles. “The Berrys are researching the whole thing.”

“How do you mean?”

She just smiles; I frown at her. “Michelle?”

“I can’t tell you, yet, but trust me…nothing is going to take you away from us again.” Michelle turns away as her voice cracks slightly and I realise she’s trying not to cry. That makes my heart ache as I come to the realisation how much I must mean to her, and to all of them.

“Oh, Chelle,” I whisper. Then I add, a wry note to my words, “Third time lucky, hey?” She pushes my shoulder again and laughs. But we both know what I mean. Robert abducting me was an awful experience and one I don’t want to go through again.

Though what I went through as a child was a lot worse…

The place was huge. And there were so many people. It was overwhelming for a little girl like me. Giovanni, the big man who had brought me here from the home, was speaking to two dark looking men in quiet undertones. They turned cold eyes on me and looked me over. I shivered and stared down at my brand new sandals. A ‘gift’ the home had given me to wear to my ‘new home’. But, this place didn’t look like a home to me.

“This is the girl?” One of the two men stepped close to me and tilted my chin up with calloused fingers. I trembled, knowing without really understanding how, that none of what was happening here was good.

Giovanni nodded as he checked the brown leather case the other man had passed to him.

“The money’s all there. If we think she’s good we’ll wire you the extra.”

I clutched at my belongings, a stuffed teddy and blanket, and looked up to see the men shaking hands and Giovanni walking away. It’s funny, because, though I knew this wasn’t good, I didn’t really feel any fear. As a child, I learned to just let things happen and that everything must have a good reason. It wasn’t until I was older that I started to question what was going on around me.

The bigger of the two men turned to me and smirked. “Well, then…let’s get you processed, kid. Then you get to go to your new home.”

I shivered at the way the word ‘home’ rolled off the tip of his tongue. There was nothing comforting about the way he said it, but it was still a familiar word to me and so I followed the two men without saying a word, knowing I had no control over what happened to me. I just trusted that all would turn out well.

How wrong I was…how very wrong…

the mice endure
    the mice endure

Post  the mice endure 8/12/2013, 1:31 am

Part Forty-Four – “Everyone has a choice.”

I don’t think I’ve ever been drunk before. Don’t think I ever want to be drunk ever again. It’s messy. Considering the mess on the floor in front of me…

“Val…breathe…” Matthew’s beside me, on his knees, holding my hair out of my face. My knight in shining…yeah…not really.

I groan as more of my dinner ends up on the floor. He just continues to rub my back in slow circles with his big palm. Moaning, I lean into him as I try not to get any on his clothes. He doesn’t even flinch, just holds me and murmurs low to me, soothing.

Rewind several hours earlier to the best night I’ve ever had in my twenty something years of life… And, that’s not even an overstatement. Michelle did well. The girls did well. I probably shouldn’t have had so many drinks, though, especially since I’m not used to it. And, I’m not sure how, but at some stage, Matt and I ended up in the tree outside the front of the house. I must’ve gone a bit crazy…

And now, here we both are in the bathroom by the toilet. Most of the contents of my stomach ended up on the highly polished tiles though. The contrast is stark. And just the sight makes me head spin.

“Happy birthday to me…Matt and me sitting in a tree…” I laugh into his chest then groan some more. Matt snorts as he keeps rubbing my back.

“Hey, is she okay?”

I peek around Matt to see my sister leaning in the bathroom doorway. Matt turns to her.

“Oh, hey…didn’t realise you were still here.”

Michelle shrugs. “Someone’s gotta do the clean-up.”

Matt nods, then looks at me. “You okay?” I smile and murmur in the affirmative, though my head protests in disagreement. He smiles, a knowing glint in his eye and looks back at my twin. “She’s okay.” Lying for me, how chivalrous.

“Good. Good…” She hesitates, though. I shift so I’m facing her more directly. She meets my eyes, head tilted. “Val?”

I stretch and wriggle out of Matt’s arms, pushing myself up off the floor. She watches me as if she’s worried I’ll fall down, or something. But, I stay steady and brush my hands against the skirt I’m wearing. Guess it helps I’m wearing flats and not heels. And, that I’m pretty good at holding myself together.

“You going to tell me how we ended up in the tree?” The first words out of my mouth. Come on, I want to know. I’m not meant to be the crazy one. That’s Jimmy’s forte. Michelle shakes her head, smiling.

“You were so drunk, sis.” She crosses her arms over her chest. “Matt had to go after you to make sure you didn’t fall out.” I blink; her expression softens. “You two…” She uncrosses her arms and looks back over her shoulder. “Mom was worried about you…”

I bite my lip.

Matt frowns. “They still here?”

Michelle glances at him. “Problem with that?”

“No. Just wondering.” His lips twitch slightly as if he’s trying to hold back his true thoughts.

I roll my eyes and mutter, “Yeah, right. You still resent what they did last time.”

Meanwhile, I’m over it. They more than made up for it tonight. The awkwardness is still there, but our brother, Michael, spent quite a bit of time talking to me, and explaining how they all felt. When I was abandoned…Mom was at her wits end and life was just piling shit on her and Dad…and having seven children was a huge strain on them. They all missed me, terribly…my brothers and twin.

It still saddens me, and it’s obvious Matt still hasn’t forgiven them…and that’s his right, I guess.

“Val, they abandoned you.”

I give him a look that I know normally he would rebuke me for, but this time he just shakes his head and stands, holding his hand out to me.

“Come on. We should get to bed.”

I take his proffered hand, allowing him to lead me out into the hallway. His support is much appreciated. Though the thought of bed makes me somewhat uneasy. I don’t know why, but the whole party thing has brought a lot of clarity to my situation – the whole slave thing – and makes me almost nervous to go to bed with him. Which is stupid, considering…

“Val?” Matt is looking at me curiously. Must’ve spaced out on him.

“Yeah?”

“You getting in bed with those on?”

I look down at my soiled clothing and laugh slightly. “No.”

He smiles and motions for me to lift my arms. Obeying, I let him undress me, trying not to let my thoughts consume me. We still haven’t…done anything. And, I swear he’s been dealing with it a lot more than before. He’s always very controlled with me. But, there’s always a glint in his eye when he’s watching me. But, I feel he won’t push me…

“Here.” I blink and realise he’s holding out one of his old tees. I slip it on wordlessly then slip beneath the covers and look up at him. He smiles, brushing his fingers lightly over my cheek. “I’ve a few things to take care of. Sleep, okay?”

I nod, already feeling exhausted. He smiles more and I as I start to drift off I vaguely notice as he lifts my journal from the night stand and walks out with it…

I wake late. Sunlight filters beneath the curtain into the room. Matt never came to bed. His spot next to me is cold.

Slipping out of bed, I make my way out into the hallway in just his too large tee. The soft sound of conversation filters down from the kitchen. I head in that direction and pause outside the door to listen. There are two voices. One is Matt’s, the other is one that surprises me…

“I know you’re angry with us, Matt, but you have to try and understand our situation.” My mother’s voice. Sad, regretful. The emotion is sincere, I can tell… Leaning my head against the wall, I keep listening.

Matt’s voice, hard, cold. “Do you even know what she’s been through? If Giovanni hadn’t come to me she could’ve been with anyone. She could be dead.” I shiver at his words. Truth can be terrifying. But, hearing him say the words. It makes me think of my early days as a slave…

I squeeze my eyes shut and slide down on the floor, hugging my knees. Maybe that’s why he took my journal…my last entry was a very detailed account of when I first became a slave. He had asked me about it, and I told him I couldn’t talk of it… but then I wrote it down.

My mother’s voice again. “I am grateful-”

“Grateful?” Matt’s voice tightens, fury evident. “You should never have abandoned her.”

“Did you think we had a choice, Matthew?”

Matthew is practically growling now, “Everyone has a choice, Maria.” A pause, then, “Jimmy’s parents would’ve taken her in.” I blink at that statement. That would mean Jimmy has known my sister longer than I thought.

A sigh, my mother’s. “It’s not that simple. We had a huge debt to pay off.” Silence after that. Shifting of chairs then my mother again. “We couldn’t afford the cost of so many children…”

I swallow hard, realising the implications of my mother’s confession. Matt obviously does as well. When he replies his tone is glacial.

“You sold her. To pay off your debts.”

I don’t think I want to hear any more of this. But, I can’t force myself to confront them, and so I continue to listen.

“You make it sound so horrible.”

Which of course it is. I mean, Michael saying they missed me…that is true…but it doesn’t excuse what was done to me.

Matt snorts, his disgust clear. “It’s fucking disgraceful. She went through all that shit because of money.”

“Matthew…”

“No.” Matt’s tone has taken on a deadly edge. “You need to leave, now.”

I tremble, waiting for my mother’s response. Part of me prays she just agrees, because that would make it easier. But, another part wants her to stay…I miss my mom…

“Can I at least see her?”

A heartbeat.

“No. I need to talk to her.” Matt is angry. I just hope he doesn’t try to talk to me while he’s still furious. There is silence for a moment then movement as I can hear a bag being picked up and a chair being scraped back on the floor.

“Will you let her choose…?” The hope in my mother’s voice almost breaks my heart. Almost…

Matt says, firmly, repeating himself, “You need to leave.” Not answering her question. But, that doesn’t surprise me. It’s the in control male part of him. And the fact that he’s protective of me. Something inside me warms at that.

“Well, you have my number…”

Matt doesn’t respond to that. And then my mother appears in the doorway. She freezes when she realises I’ve been sitting out here the whole time. I look at her blankly. She opens and closes her mouth; if this had been some other time her expression might have been amusing…

Matt appears behind her, notices me and clears his throat roughly.

“Maria.”

She nods and leaves without a word to me, which smarts somewhat. But, I don’t make any effort to call after her, instead turning my focus to Matt. He is glaring after my mother, stare filled with unfathomable rage. I get up and approach him cautiously.

“Sir?” I find addressing him in this way calms him a whole lot quicker than any other way. He shifts his gaze to my face.

“You heard all that?” His tone is guarded. I simply nod. He sighs, a weary sound, rubbing at his face. “Fuck…what a mess.”

I shake my head and move to hug him. He winds his arms around my waist and sighs again. There isn’t really anything that can be said, and I just want to be held now. He squeezes me gently, then still holding me, steers us back into the kitchen. I notice the skillet sitting on the bench, an open bottle of pancake mix next to it. Evidently my mother interrupted his breakfast plans.

Matt sees where my gaze has landed and the corners of his mouth twitch upwards in a wry smile.

“You hungry?”

I think for a moment, just as my stomach growls. Kind of surprising that I still have any appetite after what I just witnessed. But, can’t argue with my needs now can I?

Nodding, I sit at the kitchen counter. Matt smiles, still with an edge, but I guess the familiarity of morning routine is a remedy of sorts. He turns to the stove and turns it on. I rest my chin on my arms and observe him in silence, feeling myself settle. He glances once at me, before grabbing the skillet and pouring some mix into it.

Then he twirls slightly, with a grin and says, chuckling, “Prepare to be dazzled.”

With that one phrase, the mood lifts, and I feel it’s going to be alright.

At least for a little while.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 5/16/2024, 1:38 pm