Deathbat Country - An Avenged Sevenfold Fan-Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

send news tips to deathbatcountry6661@hotmail.com

WELCOME TO THE FAMILY! WE ARE GLAD TO HAVE YOU HERE!
Thank you for your support, it is greatly appreciated!
R.I.P. James Owen Sullivan a.k.a. The Rev 1981-2009

+3
Aightball
CiaraCobb
the mice endure
7 posters

24/11 U/D: Shadows Creed - Rated R - Part Fifty-Three

Aightball
    Aightball

24/11 U/D: Shadows Creed - Rated R - Part Fifty-Three - Page 5 Empty Re: 24/11 U/D: Shadows Creed - Rated R - Part Fifty-Three

Post  Aightball 2/23/2011, 8:47 am

CiaraCobb wrote:Kel, sweetie, I am truly trying to find the right time to sit down and read Blink of an Eye and then First Tour, but as yet I think I've still only read the first chapter back when it was on C4. It appeared on here right when I started writing my own fic, and I was trying to keep my focus on that.

No hurry =). I'm only kidding! Both are quite long (though First Tour is much, much longer!), so take your time Very Happy.
    the mice endure
    the mice endure

24/11 U/D: Shadows Creed - Rated R - Part Fifty-Three - Page 5 Empty Re: 24/11 U/D: Shadows Creed - Rated R - Part Fifty-Three

Post  the mice endure 2/26/2011, 5:10 pm

They're well worth the read, though Smile
    Aightball
    Aightball

Post  Aightball 2/27/2011, 12:37 am

Mice> Thank you =).
    CiaraCobb
    CiaraCobb

Post  CiaraCobb 2/27/2011, 1:08 am

I started! First 8 chapters of In the Blink of an Eye down...lots more still to go Very Happy
    Aightball
    Aightball

Post  Aightball 2/27/2011, 1:09 am

Enjoy reading it! =) When you get to First Tour, I should have all the kinks worked out!
    CiaraCobb
    CiaraCobb

Post  CiaraCobb 2/27/2011, 1:19 am

sounds good to me Very Happy
    ~Moonbaby8768~
    ~Moonbaby8768~

Post  ~Moonbaby8768~ 3/1/2011, 4:09 am

I cannot believe I didn't see this update sooner Surprised Shame on me. BUT I am here now and I have read it Wink Updates from Marlz make me > Very Happy Very Happy

So, still mystery in it's finest form even if Matt wasn't in this update Razz But that's one of the many reasons I love your fics so much. It's good to see more pieces of the puzzle falling into place, tiny pieces but still pieces nonetheless. You know me, I have this all figured out in my head.. I think I do anyway Wink But you are full of surprises so my lil racing mind might just be in for a treat. Randomness outta the way.. Matt knows what he's doing and I'm certain he can handle any consequence that comes his way, he is T1 afterall. I just wanna know for sure what the hell actually is going through that gorgeous head of his! Oh dearest Maaattt!?!? Give us a lil insight, eh? Wink So yeah, I'm still sifting through all the possibilities and this update has only peaked my curiosity that much more. Update soon, please and thanks I love you I love you

P.S. I wanna see more Gates action, peeease Smile I hope we get to see his reaction to the guitar too

the mice endure
    the mice endure

24/11 U/D: Shadows Creed - Rated R - Part Fifty-Three - Page 5 Empty SHADOWS CREED - PART NINETEEN

Post  the mice endure 3/8/2011, 12:17 pm

Phyll, we'll find out Syn's reaction soon, just not yet.

And:

FINALLY!

Is he crazy, or what?

Johnny couldn’t decide whether Matthew was the craziest man he had ever met, or the bravest. The revelation that the commander of The Creed was not as picture perfect as some would think came as a big surprise to the younger man. Considering Matt’s apparent position on the law, and his hard line attitude when it came to dealing with those who broke it, it was almost difficult to associate that man with the one being revealed now.

Matthew was leaning over his computer, Brian Snr seated next to him. The two men were chatting about some of the elder man’s new music, and the election campaign he was putting together. Johnny thought it was odd to see the popular entertainer running for Mayor. He didn’t seem the type to even be interested in politics, at least in any serious way. Of course, he could see the positives to Brian Snr becoming Mayor. He was capable of changing people’s ideas about the social situation of the time. He polarised opinions even through his music. Johnny knew he walked a fine line, though.

Music that was too anti-government was also banned from airplay, not that it prevented it one hundred percent. There was a song doing the rounds by an underground band, the name of which Johnny couldn’t remember – the song or the band - which was very derogative of the American Republic.

“Christ?”

Johnny blinked, realising that Matt had been talking to him and he wasn’t even listening. “Uh, sorry, what?”

Matthew rolled his eyes then pointed to the bass where it was propped against the wall. Johnny followed his finger and frowned.

“You want my bass?”

“No. Just grab it, okay?”

“Why?”

Matt sighed, “Because, I want to get some bass tracks for something…just grab it, okay?”

Johnny scowled at the bigger man. “What for?”

“Just do it, Jonathan. I’ll explain once you’re set.”

The younger male rolled his eyes at the use of his full name, but did as he was asked. He reached out to grab the instrument and slung the strap over his shoulder getting it settled. Then he looked at Matthew who was unravelling some cords, an expression of deep concentration on his face. His brow was furrowed, jaw clenched, anxious thoughts passing across his eyes.

“Um, Matt?” Johnny pressed. Matthew lifted his head to him then smiled faintly, as he held out one end of the cord.

“Here, plug yourself in.”

Johnny took the cord and plugged it into the socket at the base of his bass. Then he leaned over it and ran his thumb over the strings, sucking at his bottom lip.

“Right,” Matt said, “give me a sec.” Before he could do anything though, the doorbell chimed the ringing coming through an intercom panel on the wall. “Dammit.” He got up and went over to the intercom pressing the button. “Who is it?” He released the button and waited for the response.

“Dude, it’s me. Zack, you gonna let me in?” the mechanic’s voice sounded tinny through the small speakers.

Matt cursed under his breath before he pressed the button to respond, “Be right there.” When he released it again, he swore some more, before he made his way to the door.

Brian Snr frowned and said as the younger male opened the door, “What’re you going to tell him?”

Matthew looked back, acknowledging the worry on the elder’s face. “The truth. I can’t front, not with Zack. I owe him at any rate.”

“Oh?”

He didn’t elaborate, just turned and ascended the stairs. Before he got too far, though, he reappeared in the doorway and added to Brian Snr, “Fill Johnny in, could you? I’ll be right back.”

Brian Snr nodded; Matthew ducked out, his footsteps fading as he went back up the stairs.

Zachary grimaced as he surveyed the set-up in the basement. This was not what he had suspected when Matthew had greeted him in grim silence at the front door. Of course, he’d come because he was so damned sick of his friend’s lack of explanation, but he had not expected any of what was in front of him.

Barely ten minutes had passed since Matthew lead him through the house, to the gym and down into the concealed basement. There had been no preliminaries between them, the fact that the mechanic had come for a reason was obvious. They knew each other too well, in some regards at least, to bother wasting time on small talk.

“What the hell is this?” Zacky finally found the nerve to ask, his voice strained. His eyes were bright, filled with uncertainty.

Matthew leaned back against the desk where Brian Snr was seated watching the screen. Johnny was standing to one side, bass slung over his shoulder as he concentrated on playing. Deep bass tones filled the room, an ominous soundtrack that added to the tension in the atmosphere.

Zacky scowled at his friend’s silence. “Shads?”

“What’s it look like?” the bigger male murmured in an almost defensive tone.

“I don’t know. Something you shouldn’t be doing.”

Matthew sighed as he pushed away from the wall and wandered along to stand beneath the biggest poster in the room. He glanced up at it, an indecipherable expression ghosting across his face. Then he returned his gaze to his friend.

“I owe you an explanation.”

Zacky snorted but made no other reply. He shoved his hands into the pockets of his pants and raised his eyebrows, an expectant look in his eyes.

Matthew took a deep breath, rubbing his hands over his biceps; he squeezed them before he spoke in a low voice, “Papa Gates and I have been collaborating on a piece of work for the past year.” He paused to gauge his friend’s reaction. Zacky just stared back at him, expression unchanged. He continued, “It’s an opinion piece…and…it’s well, it’s not something that would ingratiate us with the authorities if it ever got out.”

Zacky blinked. “That’s it?”

“What?”

“That’s what all this secrecy is about? A fucking song?”

Matthew grimaced. “An illegal song.”

Zacky dragged a hand through his hair then pointed his finger at him. “Yeah, but this is what all this has been about? A song? I can’t believe it.”

The bass tones had quit in the background, both Johnny and Brian Snr had turned their attentions from what they were doing, and now watched the two friends in a nervous quiet. Matthew propped his back against the wall and folded his arms over his chest. Tension was evident in the lines of his body, in the tightness of the skin at his eyes.

“Well. Not exactly,” Matt finally conceded. “There’s more than that.”

“Oh, there is, is there?” Zacky rolled his eyes, disdain obvious in his tone.

Matthew glared at him. “I can’t cut a break with you, can I?”

“And what the fuck does that mean, Shads?” Zacky met his friend’s hard gaze with an equally stern look.

Matt worked his jaw then growled, “Whatever I say you’ll get shitty over, so why should I bother?”

Zacky averted his gaze; the bigger male’s accusation rang uncomfortably around the room. Both Brian Snr and Johnny shrugged at him, neither of them willing to get drawn into the argument. He closed his eyes then rubbed at them while inhaling in a rough gesture.

“I just want to understand,” he eventually muttered. He glanced at Matt. “You’re such a hard-ass, this is not you.”

Matthew cocked his eyebrows at that statement. “Really? I’d like to think this is just an extension of all the shit I used to get up to as a kid.”

Zacky stared at him, disbelieving. Then he laughed harshly, shaking his head. “You’re twenty-eight, Matt. It’s been helluva long time since we left kidhood.”

“Kidhood? Really?” Matthew chuckled and added in a wry tone, “All men are just grown up children; we just trade Tonka trucks for much bigger things.”

“Yeah, well,” an edge crept into the mechanic’s voice, as his brow furrowed, all trace of humour gone, “this isn’t a game you should be playing. Fuck. You’re the T-One. You-”

Matthew growled, cutting off his friend mid rant, “I should what? Sit around on my ass and let the government screw people over just because they want something that’s actually good for them?” Zacky opened his mouth to reply, but Matt ran over his words, not letting him get an edge in. “Anyhow, I thought you were pissed at me for not wanting to change things? What was it you said ‘you need to get your priorities straight’?” Matt lifted his eyebrows at his friend then his shoulders. “Well, I’ve got my priorities sorted, so what’s the big deal?”

Zacky sighed, looking down at the floor as if he could find what he wanted to say on the pale lino. He crossed his arms, and shook his head slowly.

“Sure, I was mad. But, I don’t want you to get into trouble. I mean,” he glanced up, frowning deeply, “it’d be harder on you if you got caught.”

Matthew nodded. That was something he had realised, a long time ago. But he had come to terms with the consequences he could face if he was found out. There was no need for him to voice that fact, though. It was enough that he let his friend know, he knew.

“Zack…”

His friend held up a hand, stopping him. ‘What exactly are you doing?”

Matt stared hard at Zacky for a long time, obviously sifting through the many possible responses he could give. He looked beyond the other male to Brian Snr and Johnny who were both looking on, the former with a world-weary expectancy, the latter curiosity and fear.

He struggled with his thoughts for a moment wondering how he should state them, before he heaved a sigh and answered, bluntly, “Starting a revolution.”

Zacky blinked slowly at him then allowed a bark of laughter to drop from his lips. “You gotta be fucking kidding me, Shads.”

Matthew cocked his head to the side. “No, I’m not.”

“A revolution? You for real?”

“Well, maybe not exactly a revolution…I don’t think one person, or even two can start a revolution…”

“They can start one,” Brian Snr pointed out. “Every little bit helps.”

Zacky groaned as he slid down onto the floor, sitting so he could try to pull together his own thoughts. None of this was like anything he had ever suspected. He’d had ideas, certainly – Matt giving the bass and guitar to Johnny…and Brian, maybe…but never what he’d just pronounced – it boggled his mind.

“I could imagine Jimmy doing this,” he finally muttered.

Matthew rolled his eyes. “Really? I couldn’t.”

“What? Why? He’s always been the craziest out of all of us.”

“Yes, but he doesn’t have a death wish.”

“Oh, and you do?” Zacky gave his friend a sharp look.

Matthew snorted as he echoed something their friend had said earlier, “It’s not like I’m starting a band, or anything.”

The mechanic frowned, “No?”

Matt chuckled, a hidden gleam in his eyes, and then he turned back toward Johnny, motioning him to continue with his playing. As he turned though, he muttered half under his breath so Zacky had to strain to hear what he said.

“Not yet, that is…”

“Excuse me?” Zacky said in a loud voice. Matthew looked back over his shoulder at his friend.

“Yes?”

“What do you mean?”

“What do I mean?” he smirked at the mechanic, but didn’t answer the question, instead his focus shifted back to Johnny once again. Zacky glared at him, but he took no notice. “Try a more syncopated rhythm, Johnny. I think it’d fit that passage better.”

Zacky sighed and leaned back against the wall, resigned to the fact that he still didn’t know what was going on. But hoping that Matt would reveal all, soon. At least before he went mad with hypothesising things that probably weren’t even close to the truth. Shaking his head, he settled back and attempted to let his mind relax as Johnny’s bass tones once again filled the basement.
    Joh7X
    Joh7X

Post  Joh7X 3/8/2011, 12:38 pm

O___________O Shocked <---- This is my face after I read the update.

(Neccessary insert) "YOU SAY YOU WANT A REVOLUTION WELL YOU KNOW WE ALL WANNA CHANGE THE WORLD!!" :3

Now, I just need another update soon and my mind will be great! Wink

But I'm just wondering just how involved Papa Gates is going to get. It seems that he is already very involved, but I wonder how involved. Hmmm.....

P.S ..... FIRST COMMENT! xD Hell yeah!
    Aightball
    Aightball

Post  Aightball 3/8/2011, 12:44 pm

Poor Zach...I really do feel sorry for him, in a way. Matt's just being factious and a bit obtuse and the boy is being driven slowly nuts. Yet, I'm on Matt's side. If word of this starting revolution gets out, that's game over. I want to know more!!!
    CiaraCobb
    CiaraCobb

Post  CiaraCobb 3/8/2011, 3:11 pm

And waking up to this fully just made my morning!

Another awesome update as always, but I'm a little worried as to how Zack's gonna fit in to all this, at the moment he just seems to be the disapproving voice, I'd have thought he'd be well into the idea.

Ah well, you do like to keep me guessing!
    ~Moonbaby8768~
    ~Moonbaby8768~

Post  ~Moonbaby8768~ 3/9/2011, 7:07 am

Wow! Shocked
    This is along the lines of what I was hoping for but it's so much better than I imagined. I can see why Zacky's so confused. Matt's been taking him on a trip for a while and now to have everything he's known and grown used to when it comes to Matt, just flipped upside down all in a very short time.. I'd be going crazy too. I'd probably wanna sock Matt one good time as well, just for doing things the way he did Razz ZV's gonna come around though, there's a special quality about his and Matt's friendship. It'll take time but I think he looks up to Matt and he's only thinking of what could happen later on. Brian might be a lil confused about it too but not as much as Zacky, I don't think. Now Jimmy, that's a totally different story.. he's gonna jump on the wagon from the get go. That's the Jimbo we love though, he knows what he wants and he's got tunnel vision when it comes to getting it.

Lovely update Marlz Smile
    I. cannot. wait. for. more Very Happy:D
    the mice endure
    the mice endure

Post  the mice endure 3/14/2011, 8:59 pm

@Joh - We gotta bring in Jim Sturgess lol. Jokes

@Kel - Okay...what does 'factious' mean...I should know...wait I'll go look it up...ah okay, I got you now Smile. Yes...he is being a bit of that, eh?

@Ciara - Yeah, I think Zack's being a bit odd about it all...but...we'll see how he goes...lol

@Phyll - Ahhh, we all love Jimmy, eh? Very Happy

Thanks you guys Very Happy

the mice endure
    the mice endure

Post  the mice endure 5/18/2011, 11:27 am

FINALLY!!!!! Here is the update. Please let me know what you think. And be honest. Wink I know you will be.

~~~~~~

Poker face

Jason groaned as another vehicle cut him off on the highway. He resisted giving the driver the finger as it sped passed him. He’d memorised the plate number and would turn him into the correct authorities. As a member of the Creed it wasn’t his responsibility to deal with hoons and the like. He had more pressing issues to worry about. None less than the interesting piece of information his brother was just expounding on while they made their way to the TaskerOne’s house.

The movement of instruments from The Locker was forbidden; even the Mayor had to get special dispensation from The Creed to release any items from there. For Matthew to be able to get his hands on an instrument and remove it from the storage place was completely out of character, and a huge concern. If General Eskino found out about it the consequences would be dire. It was one thing for the normal population to have instruments in their possession, and for them to have them confiscated. But for the TaskerOne to flout the law…well it didn’t bear thinking on.

Jason glanced sideways at his brother who was staring out the window a grim expression on his face. His eyes were shuttered and his posture defensive as he watched the buildings as they passed them by.

“Matt?”

Matt Berry lifted a shoulder in acknowledgement, but said nothing.

Jason cleared his throat gruffly before asking, “Did Shads give any indication of what he was thinking?”

“Nada,” his twin murmured. “He’s pretty good at saying a lot without actually saying anything.”

Jason laughed the sound holding no mirth, “Really? Never pegged him for a talker.”

Matt cast a look at him, “Except when he’s really focused on something.”

“True…”

They lapsed into silence, which was only broken by the rustling of chip wrappers from the backseat. Dan was sprawled across the seat methodically working his way through a whole bag of chips while listening to the brothers’ conversation. As he popped a chip into his mouth, he frowned faintly as a dull clunking sound reached his ears.

“Hey, JB?”

“What?” Jason looked back over his shoulder at him.

Dan shifted forward on his seat as he said, “You hear that noise?”

“What noise?”

“Uh, bro…there’s smoke coming from the hood…” Matt prodded Jason on the shoulder and pointed. A tiny wisp of smoke curled up from a gap in the bonnet.

Dan snorted, “Wasn’t this due for service soon?”

Jason groaned, squinting out the windshield before turning sharply onto the side of the road. The smoke, which had been barely noticeable earlier, was now streaming out, while the engine rattled noisily beneath the hood.

“Fu-uck…what the hell, it was fine this morning.”

Dan rolled his eyes, “Like I said…”

“Shut up. Just call Zack, will you?” Jason snapped as he shoved open his door and got out to investigate.

“So…what exactly did you do?” Zacky stood huddled over the open hood, frowning down at the engine. Jason leaned against the side of the vehicle and shook his head. “Nothing? Looks like it hasn’t been to the shop in years…”

“Yeah, like I have time to bring it in.” Jason glowered at the mechanic.

Zacky held a hand up in a placating gesture. “I understand. Boy, do I…”

“Where’d you come from, anyway?” Dan asked as he leaned out of the backseat, forearms folded across the door.

“Shads’.” The mechanic didn’t elaborate.

“Oh? We’re headed that way,” Jason stated then grimaced as he added, “well, we were…” He scowled at the front of the truck. Zacky raised his eyebrows before leaning back over the engine. “How is he?”

“Huh?” the mechanic lifted his head again.

Jason crossed his arms and gave him a pointed look. “Shads. How’s he doing?”

Zacky paused with his hand halfway into his tool belt. A dark expression flickered across his face, before he answered in a casual tone, “I think he’s still not used to not working, he seemed…a bit…” he waved his hand in the air.

“Lost?” Dan suggested.

“Yeah, that’s the word,” Zacky muttered as he leaned over the engine again. He hovered there for a moment then sighed, straightening. “I’ll call my bro; get him to take it over to the shop.”

“Oh?” Jason looked at the truck then back at the man standing in front of him. “Too hard?”

“Yeah, whatever’s wrong with it, I can’t figure it. Better he check it.”

Dan snorted, “You’re a shit mechanic.”

“Thanks for that,” Zacky mumbled as he shut the hood and pulled his cell phone from his back pocket. The stocky male just grinned at him; he rolled his eyes and spoke gruffly into the mouthpiece. After explaining the details of the situation and telling his brother where they were, he hung up and glanced at Jason.

“Want a lift?”

“To Shads’?”

“Yeah,” Zacky shrugged. “I was planning on staying there for a while myself.”

“You just came from there,” Jason pointed out.

“Well, you kinda interrupted us.”

“Oh?”

“Yeah, we were getting down to a serious game of poker.” Something, a strained look, passed over the mechanic’s face but it was gone before Jason could even fathom what it was.

“Right,” he said. “Well, thanks. We’d appreciate a ride.”

Zacky smiled as he shut the hood, slapping a palm against it. Then he turned and walked back to his own truck. Jason, Dan and Matt followed him and climbed into the vehicle as he started the engine. He looked out the window at the other truck then raised his eyebrows at Jason.

“Do you need to put in a report for the vehicle?”

“Nah, that’s mine. I don’t drive anything else on my day off.”

“Half day,” Dan interjected.

“Right,” Zacky said. “That’s all you get?”

“Every week. Once a month we get a whole day; and once every three we get a week or two depending on rank.”

“And then some get more than that,” Zack pointed out, obviously thinking about Matthew.

Jason grimaced because he knew who the mechanic was basing that observation on. But he made no comment knowing that if he did he would be tempted to spill all the stuff the General had told him, and he couldn’t risk that without then causing some kind of turmoil between his friends. Or at least having a load of questions tossed his way.

Instead he chuckled and said, “I’m jealous of Shads. Bet he’s taking advantage of it.”

Zacky rolled his eyes as he wound down his windows, cranked up the radio and turned his vehicle back onto the road.

“So, how’s it with Johnny?”

Jason leaned against the kitchen counter where he and Matthew had positioned themselves when the Berry’s and Zacky had arrived. Zacky had disappeared with Matt and Dan to the Sanders’ home gym; the clink of barbells could be heard filtered down the corridor. Jason wanted to stay and find out what was going on with his commander, and so was grateful the others had left him alone with the bigger male. Of course, he was a little wary as well, so was also glad that the others were within earshot if things got too tense.

Matthew shrugged as he retrieved two bottles of orange juice from the fridge. “Hmmm, not as bad as I thought it would be.” He popped the lid on them both, passing one to his 2IC. “He keeps to himself. Keeps out of trouble.”

Jason nodded slowly. “Good to hear. And you?”

“Huh?” Matthew chocked his head to the side, one eyebrow lifted ever so little.

“How’re you doing?”

Matthew gave him a weird look as he drank from his bottle. He smeared the back of his hand across his mouth as he asked, “What do you mean?”

“Well, y’know…this week off…” Jason shifted on his feet as he fiddled with his juice bottle.

“I’m good.” Matthew shrugged in a nonchalant manner. Whether what he said was true or not, Jason couldn’t discern; he sounded as casual as anyone could manage when having a forced vacation. Matt smirked as he added, “Taking it easy.”

“Yeah?”

“Yeah.”

An uncomfortable silence settled between the two men; Matthew returned to the fridge and stood with the door open gazing in at the contents. Jason finished his drink his eyes fixed on a spot in the middle of the floor. Both of them were unsure how to move the conversation forward. It had been a long time since they’d visited each other on a social level. In fact, since joining the Creed neither man had the time for social calls. At least not to each other. And considering they practically saw each other every day, it wasn’t as if they were missing anything in their joint lives.

“Great. So…” Jason said as he attempted to start the conversation again, “Zack says he was playing Poker with you earlier.”

“Uhuh. We finished without him.” Matthew smirked, “Johnny won.”

Jason chuckled, shaking his head. “Heh, he got into it at The Astor.”

“That would explain it,” Matthew responded in a flat voice. He closed the fridge but didn’t look over at his colleague. Instead he opted to stare out the window onto the front yard. He crossed his arms, brow furrowed.

Jason frowned, noting the lack of emotion in his voice. “Hope you don’t mind my saying, but…”

“But?” Matthew looked over his shoulder, eyebrows arched.

Jason cleared his throat, gruffly, before he said, “You seem a bit…off…”

Excuse me?” Matthew swung away from the window and glared at him. “I’m fine, Captain.” Jason flinched, recognising the statement for the rebuke it was, and that it was a reminder of who was really in the superior position. Regardless of what Eskino said and regardless that Shads was on a break, he was still TaskerOne and, obviously he wanted to ensure no one forgot that.

“Sorry. I didn’t mean anything by that...”

“No?” Matthew shook his head, as he waved a dismissive hand toward him. “You should go. Can’t be late back to the barracks. The corps will need to be seen to.”

“Gotta wait for the all clear from Baker; killed the truck.”

Matthew snorted, “You shitting me, JB? When did I tell you to put her in for service?”

Jason grimaced, not liking his commander’s tone. “When exactly was I supposed to find time?”

Make time, Captain,” he retorted. “Anyway, I told you to do it three months ago.”

“God, Shads. You might be my boss, but…telling me when to put the truck into the shop? Is that really in your job description?”

The two men stared at each other in the pause that was generated by that question. Tension was evident between them; it was like a caged animal ready to burst out of its confines. Matthew eventually let out an exasperated groan, shaking his head again.

“Just go, Jason.”

Jason snapped back, “No. You’re on a break. I’ll leave when I decide.”

“Uhuh.” Matthew stared hard at him. “I’m still your commanding officer. And I’m telling you to go.”

“For fuck’s sake. You’re off duty. I don’t have to obey you.”

“Jason,” Matthew sighed as he slumped back against the window sill, “I’m asking you to leave. As a…friend…I’m asking you…. Please?”

Jason blinked hard. M Shadows never pleaded with anyone, for anything. Ever. Something was definitely up. What with the information his brother had unloaded on him; the comments Eskino had made, and now this side of the T-One he had never seen before, it all had to mean something was going on. And Jason wasn’t sure he could understand what it was. However, he did know one thing; pushing his luck with Matthew had never ended up well, so he decided to do the diplomatic thing and let it go, for now, at least.

“Alright…alright…I’ll touch base at the end of the week?” Jason asked, cautiously, unsure whether that was what either of them really wanted.

He knew that personally he would feel better knowing what his commander was up to, but at the same time he was well aware of how much the big man was protective of his privacy. Being in the Creed, it was a luxury not many of them could afford. And Matthew was well known to cherish his personal life. To the point that when, one time, a rookie had questioned him on his family life he had had a complete melt down which ended in the kid getting a bloody nose, and Jason having to drag Matthew out by his belt. That had been an embarrassing situation, one of the many that he had not wanted the General to know about. But, considering the discussion he’d had with him, Eskino probably knew of it.

He sighed and raised his eyebrows at the T-One. “Shads?”

Matthew gave a nonchalant shrug of his shoulders. “Sure, whatever you like.”

Jason nodded sensing he wouldn’t get any better response than that. He looked around the kitchen taking in the large space. Before he returned his attention to his friend.

“Well, I’ll just…go and get Dan and my bro. And we’ll get out of your hair.”

Matthew uncrossed his arms, shoving his hands into the pockets of his jeans. But, he said nothing, just cocked his head to the side as he glanced toward the door leading out to the hallway. Jason pushed away from the bench and made his way over to the entrance, pausing to look back at him.

“I’ll see you?”

“Yeah, guess you will,” Matt murmured before turning back around to stare out the window. Jason knew a dismissal when he saw one and so with a noncommittal grunt as a rejoinder, he turned and left to rally his brother and colleague.
    the mice endure
    the mice endure

Post  the mice endure 5/23/2011, 10:59 am

It's looking kinda lonely in here...*pouts* lol.
    Aightball
    Aightball

Post  Aightball 5/23/2011, 11:11 am

*is still here* =)

I think if Matt's not careful, he's going to get his ass reamed at work! I know he's up to something, obviously and he might have some pull, but he hasn't got *that* much pull! That man had best watch his back!
    CiaraCobb
    CiaraCobb

Post  CiaraCobb 5/24/2011, 2:43 am

I could have sworn I commented on this *frowns*

I agree with Kel, Matt needs to chill out. We all know he's up to something, and obviously that something could get him in SERIOUS trouble if he isn't careful. As much as it's stressing him out he needs to try and put a front on it, or he needs to spill his guts to a few more people. some trusted individuals...
    the mice endure
    the mice endure

Post  the mice endure 5/25/2011, 1:33 pm

Kel - Yeah...Matt should be careful...but maybe he's just a tad cocky?

Ciara - I sometimes do that, think I've done something and realise I haven't lol. Hmmm some trusted individuals...>.>

Thanks you guys Very Happy

Gah. I can't wait to get my ticket for August's show Smile
    CiaraCobb
    CiaraCobb

Post  CiaraCobb 5/25/2011, 5:15 pm

Maybe he just thinks that since he is T1 he's kinda untouchable. I just worry he's gonna have a very rude awakening very soon and realise that's not the case at all!
    the mice endure
    the mice endure

Post  the mice endure 5/28/2011, 11:43 am

Very true, Ciara...

~~~~~

Flashes of frustration

“Okay, they’re gone now. You wanna finish filling me in, Shads?”

Zacky leaned in the doorway of the gym where Matthew, Johnny and Brian Snr were now positioned. The four men were all on edge after Jason and co had left the house. Johnny was pacing the length of the room with his gaze downcast, and mouth sealed in a tight line. Matthew straddled a bench with his forearms resting against the weights, his head down. Brian Snr regarded the three young men from where he stood, propped up against the door leading down to the basement.

Matthew lifted his eyes to his friend, and frowned a little. “What’s there to add? I’ve told you everything.”

“Really? You’ve told me what you’re doing. But not why.”

“Do I really need to explain myself to you?”

“Would be nice.”

Matthew sighed, shaking his head. “Yeah, and it would be nice if the world was at peace and everybody was happy and there was no hate and no war and more music in everybody’s lives.” He snorted derisively. “Fuck nice, Zack. Life’s not about being nice.” He leaned back on the bench and glared at the mechanic. “Life’s about surviving. Getting by with what one’s got. That’s all you can do.”

Zacky rolled his eyes but didn’t argue with his friend’s statement. Instead he looked over to Johnny then Brian Snr. He wondered what they thought about all of this; neither of them had had any comment to make while he was berating their mutual friend.

“What do you think, Papa G?”

Brian Snr moved away from the basement door.

He paced over to lean against the wall as he mused in silence for a moment before answering, slowly, “Matt’s right. Except he doesn’t quite believe it. Otherwise we wouldn’t be doing this.”

“Yeah, I get that. But, why?”

Matthew groaned as he finally snapped, “Why? Why?” He sat forward and slapped a palm against the side of the bench. Then he stabbed his finger in the air as he spoke in a tone that held barely veiled disgust. “Because I’m sick to death of The Creed. That’s why. The whole organisation has gone to shit and I’m done. I am fucking over it. Just…so…over it.” He slumped forward against the weights, put his hands over his face and actually moaned, mumbling to himself. “Shit…”

The three men all just stared at him, expressions mirroring their shock at his outburst. It was so unexpected since Matthew was usually so reserved. Yes, he did have an explosive temper, but he rarely let it show when he was around his friends. Zacky stared at him confusion written all over his face. Johnny blinked fast as if the action would help him to clarify what the big man had just blurted out. He’d seen the video Matt had shown him, but even that was tame compared to his revelation now.

For Brian Snr, though, it wasn’t as much of a surprise. He’d known for a long time how frustrated Matthew was with his work and with the things he had done and would probably have to keep doing. However, he hadn’t expected him to come out and say it like he just did. He’d envisioned a much calmer, reasoned explanation, as he did with everything else. He frowned as he finally decided somebody had to ask the obvious question.

“So, what’re you going to do about that, Matt?”

It took Matthew several long minutes before he was able to look up at them. When he did they could read the tension in his eyes.

“I’d resign, but at the moment I can’t afford to. Once this break is over I have to get back into it…and not let up for a second.” He shook his head angrily. “If I quit now, Eski would get suspicious.”

Brian Snr nodded slowly, brow creased in thought. “That’s fair enough.”

“You think so?” Zacky managed to find his voice, jerking his gaze away from his friend to look at the elder male.

“Yes, I do. It’d be a bit odd for Matt to leave The Creed now, particularly since he didn’t want to take this break in the first place.” Brian Snr looked to Matthew as he added, “At least not for the length that it’s ended up being.”

Matthew grimaced, licking at his lips in a nervous gesture but said nothing as he stood and wandered back over to the door. He hesitated, laying a palm against the wooden frame then he looked back over his shoulder at them. Thoughts were flitting across his mind, made evident by the swirling emotions in his too bright stare.

He exhaled roughly before he finally spoke again. “Zack call Jimmy…”

Zacky still had the same confused expression on his face and on hearing that, he frowned deeply. “What for?”

Matthew leaned his forehead against the door frame, letting his breath out roughly. “Just…tell him to come over tonight.”

“Okay…” Zacky sensed his friend had had enough and decided it was probably a good time to leave. So, checking his pockets for his keys, he nodded to him then turned to let himself out.

Matthew watched him leave, a tightness forming in his chest. He knew his request had to be an odd one, knew his friend probably thought he’d gone mad by now. But, he figured that there was time enough to sort that out. Still, the situation wasn’t an easy one, and there was still that tension between the old friends.

He heaved another sigh as he looked over at Brian Snr. “Papa G? Get the guitar to Syn…and…” he paused then said, “get him to call me.” He swung his gaze to Johnny. “Christ, come back down here with me…” With that he pushed open the door and stepped into the darkness, heading back down into the basement.

Johnny glanced at the elder man who tipped his fingers to his forehead. “Go. I’ll see you, kid.”

He steeled himself and clenched his jaw returning the gesture to Brian Snr before following Matthew’s footsteps through the door.

Brian Snr waited for the door to click shut behind them before making his way out of the Sanders’ residence, Schechter clutched close to his chest.

On the other side of town General Eskino was worried. Reports had come in that had him on edge, trying to figure out what was going on beneath his very nose. At present he was playing host to several young cadets who worked as his informants within the corps. One of them stood before him regaling him of breaking news that had just recently come to light, and red flags were going up in his mind. Something was not right.

The General leaned back in his chair and frowned at his computer monitor. Then he glanced at the soldier standing in front of him.

“You’re certain?”

“Yes, General. I am. The message came through clear as day.”

Eskino cursed silently as he returned his gaze to the screen. He scanned the records for a moment longer then sent the machine to sleep. Then he placed his hands against the desk, and pushed himself up out of his chair.

“Send for the Captain. We need to deal with this immediately.”

“Sir.” The soldier saluted then turned to leave. The General help up a hand for him to wait, though.

“One more thing.”

The solider tilted his head to Eskino. “Yes, Sir?”

“Bring my car around. I think I need to pay Shadows a visit.”

The soldier nodded then turned on his heel and walked out the door. General Eskino moved over to the window and stood with his hands clasped in front of him. He sighed deeply, and murmured quietly to himself.

“What am I to do with you?”

Jimmy hung out of the window of Zacky’s truck and hollered in an unintelligible stream of words. The mechanic groaned, but said nothing as he fought not to be amused by his friend’s antics. Jimmy kept his head out like a dog enjoying the rush of the wind as the vehicle travelled on its way. But then he stopped midway through a yell and scowled, pulling back into the cabin of the truck.

“What?” Zacky asked recognising the rare anxious expression in Jimmy’s eyes.

He rolled his eyes. “Just saw the General.”

“Eskino?”

“Yeah looked like he was in a hurry.”

Zacky scoffed, “He’s never in a rush.”

Jimmy chuckled, “Well, he definitely seemed it this time.”

“Probably an emergency.”

“Hah. He’d send Shads if he were working.”

Zacky muttered, “Not much risk of that now.”

“Huh?” Jimmy glanced at the mechanic. Zacky shook his head as he concentrated on the road. “Whaddya mean, V?”

Silence filled the vehicle as Zacky tried to figure out how to respond to his friend. His mind was a mess and hadn’t cleared at all since leaving the Sanders’ residence. Any hope of him coming to a sane conclusion was all but lost to the swirling chaos which was the thoughts in his head. Explaining the situation to Jimmy would not be easy; however, he had to say something.

He cast a sideways glance at the tall man, and grimaced at him. “Shads’ dug himself a big fucking hole.”

“What?” Jimmy scrunched up his face. “Where?”

Zacky groaned, shaking his head as he turned into the Sanders’ street. “Not a real hole. It’s a figure of speech.”

“Oh, right. He up to something?”

“You could say that,” the mechanic muttered as he peered through the windscreen. His gaze narrowed as he noticed there was already a car parked in the Sanders’ driveway. “Shit, it’s the General.”

Jimmy frowned and asked, “How can you tell?”

Zacky pointed to the passenger door, the insignia of the Creed was printed in gold leaf covering most of the panel. It reflected the afternoon sunlight, a badge of representation. Jimmy’s expression didn’t change, holding that unusual anxiety that was not the norm for him.

“So, that’s where he was rushing too,” Jimmy spoke in a stage whisper, “the plot thickens…”

Zacky rolled his eyes, as he drove up onto the lawn, parking near the flowerbeds. He sat for a moment, and stared out at the house. The front door was ajar, and the air felt heavy. He wondered what was going on inside, hoping that it was just a social call. But feeling that it had to be something more.

“Rev, I have a bad feeling about this…”

Jimmy wriggled on his seat. “Well, should we go in?”

Zacky shook his head slowly as he braced his forearms against the steering wheel. “Let’s wait a couple minutes.”

“Zack, I hate waiting,” his friend mumbled. The mechanic just sighed in agreement and frowned out the window.
    Aightball
    Aightball

Post  Aightball 5/28/2011, 11:53 am

A CLIFFHANGER??? affraid

AUGH!!!!! NOT NICE!

*calms self down* *ahem*

The suspense at the end was PALPABLE!! You did a great job of writing this chapter!! I was surprised, but not, at Shad's confession. I had a feeling he was tiring of his job, though oddly, I'd like to see him in the head spot. At least he'd bring the music back. I think he's got the head for it, but he needs to quit working under the General. That guy is up to no good and I DON'T want to know what he's going to do to Shads now that he's at the house. Oy.
    CiaraCobb
    CiaraCobb

Post  CiaraCobb 5/28/2011, 5:44 pm

Bad Marly, not nice. You can't leave us like this!!!!!

Oh my days things are going down, and really not the way Matt wants. I'm glad Z and Jimmy haven't just gone barelling in there, I think Shads' position within the Creed is tenuous enough without those two charging in demanding to know what's going on.

Eek, come on Marly, you gotta give us more! *hopes you find the inspiration to write more soon*
    the mice endure
    the mice endure

Post  the mice endure 5/29/2011, 11:23 pm

I'm sorry guys....>.> Well, not really.

Kel - Shads as General, eh? Interesting idea.

Ciara - Oh don't worry, it's coming soon [couple of days probs] Wink. The chapter not the inspiration. That's already struck.
    CiaraCobb
    CiaraCobb

Post  CiaraCobb 5/30/2011, 6:41 am

*bounces* yay for inspiration....

Oooh, Shads as General, with Papa G as Mayor...now that would be a fun city to live in!
    the mice endure
    the mice endure

Post  the mice endure 5/30/2011, 12:36 pm

Fastest turn around ever. Here's the next chapter.

~~~~~

Shot in the dark

The sound of a door slamming caught Val off guard as she arrived home from work. She dumped her bag in the front hall and hurried toward the sound, only to be stopped by a warm hand grabbing her arm. Turning around she found herself facing Brian’s worried face. His expression was drawn and he looked as confused as she felt.

“Bri, what’s going on? What was that slamming?”

Brian wet his lips before he answered, “Shads is in a mood.” Valary blinked at him. He released her arm, smoothing his hand over his dark hair. “The General was here earlier…apparently it wasn’t a pleasant visit.” He rubbed his jaw eyes darting down the hall. “Zack and Jimmy were already here when I arrived…said there was a bit of yelling going on.” He paused, before adding with a frown, “All from Matt, of course.”

Val’s stomach clenched on hearing his words. Swallowing hard, she glanced down the hallway. Zacky, Johnny and Jimmy stood down the other end, their eyes fixed further along the corridor leading to the bedrooms. Val shivered, rubbing at her arms.

“What did he want?” She was hesitant to ask, but wanted to know at the same time. The General only ever paid home visits to his men if the situation was serious. And that was definitely concerning. Particularly if whatever he came for caused Matt to lose control of his emotions.

Brian shook his head. “No clue. He was leaving just as I got here, and Matt wouldn’t tell me.”

Val pursed her lips before she asked, “Did the General give any indication?”

“That man is stone, Val. Couldn’t read anything from him, either.” Brian placed a hand on her shoulder and squeezed gently. “You should go see how Matt’s doing. Maybe you can get it out of him?”

Val was quiet for a moment as she pondered his suggestion. On the one hand, she was nervous about approaching her husband. She was very aware of his temper and usually steered away from him when he was overly stressed about something. But, on the other hand she needed to be near him. Her own day at work had been taxing and she needed the comfort of his presence to help wind down. It was a tough call to make and she was anxious how to decide on what course of action to take.

She brushed at the corners of her eyes before meeting Brian’s wary gaze. “What’re you guys all doing here, anyway?”

Brian looked toward his friends who were now looking back in their direction, then replied softly, “Dad called me. Said Matt wanted us here for some reason.” He shrugged. “No clue why. And it doesn’t look like he wants company now.” His eyes slewed sideways giving Val the impression he wasn’t being completely upfront with her. But, she didn’t pry because she felt that whatever was bothering Brian wasn’t her concern. At any rate, she had more than enough to worry about, with her husband and Johnny.

Nodding, she crossed her arms and turned toward the others. “Well, guess I should try and talk to him.” She looked at each of the men searching their faces. “Unless you heard any of it?”

Jimmy’s face took on an apologetic cast, the corners of his mouth turned down. “Sorry, Val. When we got inside they’d already wound down.”

“And Johnny had made himself scarce,” Zacky added in a low voice. Johnny bobbed his head in affirmation then looked away unable to meet Val’s apprehensive stare. She closed her eyes, nodding almost to herself.

“Right. I’d…better go to him, then.” Val gathered herself together, lifted her chin, steeling her mind. Jimmy reached over to pat her on the shoulder, a reassuring gesture. She gave a tight smile and murmured low, “Go, get yourself a drink…I won’t be long...” The ‘I hope’ was implied. The four men heard it ringing in the air between them. They nodded in unison and stepped aside to give her space.

“Is that you, Val?”

Val had barely pushed open the door when Matthew’s raspy tones reached her ears. It was dark inside the room so she made for the light switch.

“Don’t…”

His voice came from beside her; she almost jumped right out of her skin. Thick arms snaked around her waist and pulled her close against a warm, solid chest. A small gasp escaped her lips.

“You’re early…” he grazed his lips along the edge of her left ear. Her whole body trembled at the contact. He nuzzled into the spot where her ear met the skin of her neck and inhaled deeply. For a second, Val held herself stiff, but then she leaned into his body, allowing him to envelop her in his strong arms.

Turning her head into his chest, she said, her voice barely a whisper, “Had to come home…” He ran the back of his finger along her cheekbone; she smiled faintly at him. “You were on my mind too much…Elliott told me to leave.”

Matthew chuckled softly as he slowly edged the two of them over to the bed. She shifted her body and grabbed at his biceps, giving them a firm squeeze.

“I was worried about you, Matt.”

He halted just as the backs of his legs touched the mattress. Brow furrowed, Matthew looked into his wife’s warm eyes. “Worried?”

“Yes. I know how much your work means to you,” Val started. Matt grimaced lifting a hand to press the tips of his fingers against her lips. She frowned at him.

He spoke softly, “Not now, Val…”

“What do you mean ‘not now’?” Val asked her tone sharper than she wanted it to be. Matthew shook his head, removed his fingers and leaned in to press a kiss to her lips. She pulled her head back, a little surprised by the uncharacteristic show of affection. Not that he wasn’t an affectionate person; the time just didn’t seem right. “Matt…”

He mumbled as he pressed another kiss to her mouth, “Don’t want to talk right now…”

Val was insistent, though. She pressed her hands to his shoulders and pushed him back a little. He frowned at her. She shook her head.

“Matt, talk to me. Please.” She glanced toward the door. “The guys are worried. They said Eskino was here.” As soon as those words left her mouth, she wished she hadn’t said them. Matthew’s expression went as dark as she’d ever seen it and he let loose with a string of curses. She flinched back from him as he pushed her away and stalked across the room to the dresser.

She watched as he braced his hands against the edge of the piece of furniture and shoved so it hit the wall behind it. The thud made her shudder and she wrapped her arms around her torso, as if she was shielding herself from the anger that was emanating from his person. Matthew leaned his weight against the dresser, head bowed. The muscles across his back were taut; they were tensed up to the extent that it was evident even through the shirt he was wearing.

Val remained silent, deciding to let him choose when he was going to respond to her. She remembered reading in a magazine once about how animal trainers dealt with wild animals, such as lions or tigers. If a tiger was cagey, it was best to treat it with respect by staying calm, and quiet, and to let it make the first move. Matthew wasn’t a tiger, of course, but even humans at the base level were animals of a sort. Their emotions and how to handle them would be similar.

The silence seemed to stretch forever. All that could be heard were their breaths, Val’s slow and steady; Matt’s was rough, uneven. Eventually, his breathing steadied and quietened a little. However when he spoke he didn’t turn to look at her. His gaze remained fixed on the top of the dresser and his voice held a tone Val had never heard before. She couldn’t describe it and that unsettled her.

“Jason Berry is a dead man,” Matthew started, voice dangerous. “Don’t ever let him in the house. Don’t talk to him.” He took a breath then continued, “If he calls here, screen him.” He paused again. Val took that chance to interrupt his train of thought, though she spoke cautiously, fully aware of the tension in the room.

“Matt, you’re not making any sense. What did JB do?”

There was a longer pause after her question then Matt finally turned his head toward her. His eyes were hard, mouth drawn in a thin, angry line. Val almost thought that he wouldn’t answer her; his expression was closed, revealing nothing beyond his anger. He worked his jaw as he stared at her, eyebrows lifted. Finally he responded, voice low.

“What did he do? He ratted me out to the General,” Matthew bit out through clenched teeth. “He fucking folded and told Eski I was losing the plot.” He slammed his palms against the wooden dresser. “We were supposed to deal with any issues internally without bringing HQ into it. That was the fucking policy. The unwritten law. But, Jason…” He groaned, shaking his head hard. “Jason…he…” Matthew’s voice seemed to get stuck, the words drying up as he lifted his stare to his wife. Val met his gaze directly and tilted her head to the side, as she attempted to give him a reassuring look.

“What about Jason, hun?”

Matthew dropped his head again and let out a sound as if he’d been mortally wounded. Then finally said, his voice pure gravel, “Fuck, Val…I’ve been demoted.”

“Demoted?” Val’s voice raised several notches and she sat back staring agape at her husband. Matt looked up at her, his own expression pained.

“Yeah, the General doesn’t think I’m fit for the position of TaskerOne, anymore,” his tone was flat as he said those words. Obviously, he didn’t think much of Eskino’s assessment.

Valary asked voice tight, “What would make him think that?”

“Jason ratted me out,” Matthew repeated before he leaned his elbows against the dresser and pressed his hands over his face. “You don’t do that…you just don’t do that…” he moaned before stepping away and walking back to the bed. Val waited as he settled next to her on the mattress. He lay on his side and looked up at her.

Val’s brow creased as she tried to digest what he was saying. “Explain to me what you mean.”

Matthew nodded, his own features drawn tight. “Well, it’s not an official policy, but if there’s an issue within the corps, unless it’s something to do with a law that the courts are legally responsible for, the General shouldn’t intervene.” He stopped for a moment, reaching out to rest a hand against Val’s knee; she reached down to grab his hand, squeezing it. He smiled a little then continued voice gruff. “On the ground, the chain of command starts with me. And Jason is supposed to be there to support me. That’s why he’s second-in-command. If I lose sight of what I’m meant to be doing, he’s supposed to pick up the pieces.”

“So, he’s second in charge…answers to you…but at the same time is meant to fix you up?” Val asked, slowly.

Matthew muttered, “Exactly. Which means he’s supposed to have my back. None of this going behind my back to the General shit.” He frowned, before he added, “Though, Eski did order him to HQ, he still should’ve kept his mouth shut.”

Valary sighed and said quietly, her tone curling into a question, “Maybe he didn’t have a choice?”

“Oh, he had a choice,” Matt snorted in derision. “And that’s not the worst of it.”

“No?”

“Nup. Get this. Eskino says he’s probably going to promote him.” Matthew’s jaw tightened furiously after he said that. He turned onto his back and stared up at the ceiling, grinding his teeth together.

“You mean…?”

“If I’m not fit to be T-One, Val. Someone’s gotta take my place.” He closed his eyes and breathed heavily. “JB’s as good as anyone else for that,” he said bitterly as he slit one eye open to look at her. Val sighed again and slid down so she was lying next to him.

After a moment of silence between them, Val asked, “I don’t get why you’re so angry with Jason? It can’t really be his fault.”

Shifting onto his side once more, Matthew pulled her closer so he could rest an arm around her waist. “I don’t want to talk about it… ’kay?”

“Matt…”

“No. I’m done.” He closed his eyes then added, “Go and tell the others to go home.” Matt opened one eye and looked at her. “Well, apart from Johnny…”

Val rolled her eyes, “I kind of guessed that.” Then she frowned and said, “Matt…I can’t just tell them to leave. They’ll want to know why.”

Matthew sighed, smearing a hand over his face. He left his hand over his eyes and took several deep breaths before he peered at her between his fingers. She looked back at him, and waited. He licked at his lips slowly before he pushed his body up and laced his fingers together around his knees.

“Val, I…can’t face them right now,” he said, a weary expression in his eyes. “You could just tell them I refused to come out.”

Val shook her head. “Matt, they’ve probably already gotten into everything in the bar fridge…you know how Jimmy is.”

Matt laughed softly, “True.” He smoothed a palm down his leg, studying the ink that covered his skin. Tracing a thumb along the dark lines of one of the tattoos, he murmured, “Just…give me a bit and I’ll come out…okay?” He glanced at her. “Tell them…I just need some time.”

Val looked at her husband and realised that he was showing her a side that he rarely revealed. He was at his most vulnerable and his emotions were right at the surface. Something that hardly ever happened. This meant that the best course of action would be for her to honour his request and allow him time to be settled with what had happened. It couldn’t have been easy for him to have the General come in and basically tell him he was no longer in charge…

She grimaced, a thought coming to her mind. “Matt?”

“Mhm?” He rolled his head to the side to acknowledge her.

“What will this mean for you?”

“Hmmm?”

“Well, if you’re no longer T-One…what happens once this time-off ends?” Val asked keeping her voice soft as she didn’t want to upset him anymore than he already was. Matthew’s eyelids lowered as he regarded her; his expression didn’t change though.

“Eski didn’t say. I assume I’ll just become a run-of-the-mill soldier.”

“Oh? That’s not too bad…”

Matt smiled sourly. “Yeah. Guess it’s better than being shot.”

Matt.”

“Sorry,” he hugged her tight then released her shifting onto his back again. Val observed him for a moment, but it was obvious he didn’t want to talk anymore. He’d shut his eyes again and seemed to be concentrating on just breathing. So, she slid off the bed and made her way to the door.

“Val?” Matt’s voice caused her to hesitate.

Pausing with her hand on the doorknob, she looked back at him. “Yeah?”

Matthew rumbled in a low tone, “I love you…” She barely heard him, but because the room was so quiet Val could easily discern his meaning.

She smiled weakly and said, “Love you too, hun.” She opened the door then looked back at him; he lay in shadow, expression hidden. But she sensed that he had turned his head to look toward her, expectant. “Um…come out when you’re ready,” Val added, quietly. Matt lifted a hand in response but remained otherwise silent.

Valary gazed upon him for a few seconds longer then slipped out, leaving her husband alone in their bedroom, allowing the door to click shut behind her.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 5/17/2024, 1:51 pm