Deathbat Country - An Avenged Sevenfold Fan-Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

send news tips to deathbatcountry6661@hotmail.com

WELCOME TO THE FAMILY! WE ARE GLAD TO HAVE YOU HERE!
Thank you for your support, it is greatly appreciated!
R.I.P. James Owen Sullivan a.k.a. The Rev 1981-2009

+3
Aightball
CiaraCobb
the mice endure
7 posters

24/11 U/D: Shadows Creed - Rated R - Part Fifty-Three

the mice endure
    the mice endure

24/11 U/D: Shadows Creed - Rated R - Part Fifty-Three - Page 3 Empty Re: 24/11 U/D: Shadows Creed - Rated R - Part Fifty-Three

Post  the mice endure 1/25/2011, 6:56 pm

@Ciara - yeh...doesn't sound good, eh?

@Aightball - But would that be a good thing or not? Jason not telling, because the way it seems, it looks as if he'd rather tell Matt.

Thanks you guys...you'll just have to wait for the whole Jason and Matt confrontation, if there even will be one... a little change of scenery now Wink

~~~~~~

Elementary my friend

“Thanks for the ride, buddy. You gonna come up?”

“Yeah, might as well.”

Jimmy had finally decided to head home. Brian had offered to drive him and the older man hadn’t turned it down. At any rate, neither man thought it was worth their time waiting around for their friend to see whether he would come around with Johnny, or not.

The two men trekked up the back stairs of the Laundromat where Jimmy used to work as a teenager but now just rented the space above it. The owner, who was his landlord, waved absently from the shop, a distant smile on his face.

As he waved back, Jimmy muttered to Brian, “He’s pissed at me.”

“Humph, I’m not surprised, you probably take forever to pay rent, and make a mess.”

Brian arrived at the door, which his friend always left unlocked. Jimmy’s view was that no one would ever be bothered breaking into the flat of the sneakiest thief in town. An unusual accolade to heap on oneself, but to be honest, that was what Jimmy was. And also odd, he was quite proud of the fact. It wasn’t that he stole anything of real worth, except for several items of interest to The Creed…but it was mostly random things, like the five trashcan lids that were his pride and joy.

The door creaked open at Brian’s hard push, revealing to the two men a mountain of stuff piled in the middle of the first room.

“Jesus, Rev…how much shit do you have in here?”

“A lotta shit he shouldn’t have.”

They both jumped at the disembodied voice, before realising it was just Zacky. He was slumped in a ratty looking couch, beer gripped in his right hand. His head was cocked to one side, a snide smirk on his face.

“Jesus, Zack, how’d you get in here?” Jimmy asked, half-jokingly.

Brian snorted. “The door was unlocked, Rev.”

“True.”

Zacky nodded. “Yep. Haven’t been here long, though. Shads dropped me off on the corner.”

“Oh, yeah? He headed home, yet?”

Zacky rolled his eyes, his response sharp. “Yeah. ‘bout fucking time too.”

“You sure he went back to his place? Val’s in a right stir about him.”

“Didn’t she go back to work today?”

“Yeah, Shads took her. But she was still upset. We dropped by the council before heading over here. She’s got too many things going in her head, she told us.” Brian walked across to the fridge as he spoke.

Jimmy flopped on the floor next to the mechanic, nodding along to what his friend was explaining. Zacky’s brow furrowed as he listened, absently rubbing a thumb over the mouth of the beer bottle. He said nothing though as Brian continued.

“What with the election and everything…and Shads being a real shit about everything.”

“How do you mean?” Zacky asked. “I hadn’t noticed that?”

Brian eyed him. “Well, I guess it isn’t as bad as all that. He’s just being a stubborn jerk, apparently.”

“What’re you talking about, man? I’m just pissed at him for the whole thing with The Creed. You know that.”

Jimmy lay back on the floor, and stretched his feet out. “It’s not something you would know, right? I mean, you’re not married into the family.”

Brian opened the fridge, peering into see what was available, choosing a bottle of Jack. He glanced over his shoulder at his friends.

“Exactly, it’s only something that Chelle and Val would’ve picked up on.”

“What is it, though? Has he done something to Val?” Zacky got a strained look on his face. “Don’t tell me his famous temper’s gotten the better of him.”

“No, nothing like that,” Brian assured him. “He loves Val too much to ever hurt her.”

“So you say. We all know how shitty Matt can get about the littlest thing.” Zacky took a swig from his beer before he folded his arms over his chest and glared across the room at the other man.

Brian snapped, “But, he’d never take it out on Val. She’d walk if he ever did that.”

Jimmy interrupted then, his tone surprisingly solemn, “The Creed’s killing him. He needs to get out.”

Brian and Zacky turned to him. Neither of them argued with the elder male’s statement. How could they? It was obvious to them that Matthew’s career was taking its toll on him. It was wearing them all down. But, it had destroyed their friend. Or at least, it had worn him out. To outsiders, to people who didn’t know Matthew Sanders the way they did, he looked like he could go on forever in his position. However, he was beginning to fray at the edges and only time would tell whether he would fold or not.

Zacky shook his head at Jimmy before returning his sharp stare to Brian. “So, what was it?”

“They’ve been arguing about a lot of trivial shit,” Brian sighed, propping his shoulder against the fridge door. “Got into a fight over Johnny…and other stuff like that.”

Jimmy gave a crooked grin. “They’re acting like a married couple.”

“Funny that,” Zacky mumbled.

Brian lifted his free shoulder, letting his eyes roam over the junk in the room. “So, Sullivan. What shit have you got in here that you shouldn’t?”

Jimmy just smirked in response, understanding his friend’s need to change the subject. Talking about Matthew could be extremely draining.

“Oh, nothing really.”

Zacky laughed, pushing up from the couch as he leaned over to lift something off a pile next to him.

“You know what this is, Syn?”

Brian tilted his head to one side as he took in what his friend was showing him. It was a worn cardboard case, with an equally faded image on the front of it. Zacky tossed it over to him. He caught it carefully and had to blink twice as he realised what it was he was holding.

“Fuck…this is…” He turned it over his gaze travelling down the back of the case. “AC/DC. This is classic…” He grimaced shooting an almost accusing glare toward Jimmy. “And it’s contraband. Where’d you find this?”

Jimmy chuckled. “Heirrison’s.”

“How do you know it’s a classic, Syn?” Zacky cut in, a confused expression on his face.

“What?”

“I thought you kept your nose clean?”

Brian set the case down, and said, “I won’t break the law, but it doesn’t mean I don’t know anything about the outlaw bands that exist. Don’t forget, my dad’s a session muso. He hears things.” He shrugged. “Anyway, they’re an Australian band. And I’m not sure what sort of laws they have in that country. They might be different to over here.”

“Yeah, makes sense. Still,” Zacky paused looking at Jimmy, “if The Creed catches you with that, and anything else you’ve got hidden here…”

Jimmy rubbed at his jaw, before he muttered gruffly, “I know the consequences. I just don’t give a shit anymore.” He groaned. “It’s unfair. There’s nothing wrong with rock music. There’s nothing wrong with bands. It’s all shit, to be honest. Just a bunch of controlling, Nazi-like leaders wanting to come down on us people for having a good time.”

The three men went silent after his outburst. They just stayed, looking at each other the words sitting like an uncomfortable fourth presence between them. Eventually Brian decided he couldn’t handle the quiet anymore because he started talking again, still on the same subject, but in a slightly lighter tone than what his friend had been using.

“I feel a sense of déjà vu, like we’ve had this conversation before.”

Zacky snorted. “Yeah, wasn’t it just the other day?”

“Feels like there’s nothing much else to talk about these days.”

Jimmy muttered, “It’s what’s always on my mind.”

“Obviously.” Brian frowned then looked down at the AC/DC case again. “Hey, Rev?”

“Yeah?”

“You said you found this at Heirrison’s?”

Jimmy blinked slowly at his friend before nodding in affirmation. “Everything else as well.”

Brian kept his gaze on the case, jaw clenched. Zacky shifted uncomfortably on his seat watching his two friends. Jimmy scowled, before flopping back on the floor.

“So, it was you who took the records from Heirrison’s.” It wasn’t quite a question.

Jimmy rolled onto his side, as he pulled his long legs up into his chest. He nodded again, a tiny smirk pulling at the corner of his mouth.

“Crap,” Brian stated in a rough voice. “That’s just bad all round. If Matt finds out about this…”

“You won’t tell him?” Jimmy almost pouted at his best friend.

Brian closed his eyes and held out a hand to the elder man, shaking his head. “No.” His tone was reluctant as if he hated the thought of withholding secrets from his other friends. “No,” he repeated in a low voice. “Not unless he asks me directly.”

“Whaddya mean?” Jimmy screwed up his face.

“He means if Shads came along and asked him ‘was it Jimmy who took those records?’ he’d say yes. Right, Syn?” Zacky asked, in as equally low a tone as the other man.

Brian nodded tightly, his features drawn.

“Aw, fuck, Brian.” Jimmy slapped a palm against the floor.

Brian opened his eyes and met his friend’s pained look. “I can’t lie to Matt.”

“Well…yeah, but he won’t ask. Will he?”

“Probably not. He’s got too much else to think about,” Zacky pointed out. “What with Johnny and all.”

“Yeah. Tell us about that,” Brian turned to look at the mechanic. “You were with them all morning?”

Zacky looked thoughtful for a moment. He gazed down into his beer bottle, as if the answers to everything that had happened in the past few days could be found inside the golden liquid. He rubbed at his face, pausing still for several long seconds. Then he looked up again, his expression dark.

“All I got was a lot of unanswered questions.”

“Huh? About what?”

Zacky laughed bitterly. “Matt’s being fucking mysterious.” He dragged the fingers of his left hand through his hair, the spikes sticking up more than usual. “But, about Johnny…” He grimaced. “We took him to see his parents. That was good, actually.”

Brian raised his eyebrows. “Wow. I haven’t heard from the Seward’s in a long time. How are they doing?”

“Considering all the shit they’ve been through? Pretty well, actually.” Zacky smiled faintly. “They were so happy to see Johnny, though.”

“I can imagine.” Brian leaned more against the fridge, toying with the cap on his bottle. “Six years is a long time to not see your son.”

“Yeah, very true.” Zacky sucked at the piercings on his bottom lip, thinking on his friend’s statement for a moment.

“What’s Matt being mysterious about?” Jimmy asked, seemingly out of the blue, interrupting the flow of the conversation.

Zacky scoffed in reply, “Trust you to ask that.”

“Well, you know me. You can’t just mention something like that off the cuff without expecting me to make a comment about it.”

“Yeah, we know you,” Brian drawled in an amused tone. Jimmy was always into the obscure details that nobody else would normally pick up. Since they’d first met at school he’d forever been known for being a sticky-beak. Getting into everyone’s business and managing to drag the weirdest and wonderful tidbits of information from the people he met.

“So?” Jimmy asked while waggling his eyebrows. “What was up with Matt?”

Zacky sighed, shaking his head. “I can’t say.”

“Why not?”

“Because I don’t fuckin’ know!” The exasperation in the mechanic’s voice was enough to make the other two men realise that whatever it was that Matt had done or said was really bothering him. And that he wasn’t just saying that their friend was acting strange; something really was up.

Jimmy wrinkled the bridge of his nose. “That’s crazy…wonder what’s going on with him?”

Zacky shook his head some more, and leaned it back against the chair. “I don’t know…he says he’s gonna explain shit…but he hasn’t said anything, yet.”

“What’s he got to explain?” Brian asked, his brow furrowing at the thought that their friend had stuff hidden from them.

“Oh, just some shit that happened with Johnny…” Zacky sounded pissed, and his tone suggested he wanted the subject dropped.

Jimmy was like a dog with a bone, though, because he came back with, “What shit with Johnny?”

“Ugh…I don’t even wanna talk about it…” Zacky grimaced as if he’d tasted something bad. “And, anyway, Shads made me promise not to say anything.” In fact, Matthew had practically ordered him not to tell anyone. He’d been extremely forceful about it. But, Zack didn’t want to think on that, because it made it look like Matt was being an ogre, and he wasn’t. The big man had just seemed overly stressed and that had bothered him.

“So, you do know what’s up with Matt,” Jimmy said, his eyebrows lifting higher.

“No. I don’t know what’s up with him. I know what I saw today, but that doesn’t mean I know what’s going on.” Zacky shut his eyes, resting his beer bottle against his stomach as he slid down in the chair.

“That doesn’t even make any sense,” Jimmy muttered.

Brian added, “That doesn’t sound like Shads.”

Zacky flipped them off, snapping back, “Yeah, well that’s how it is.” He opened his eyes and glared at them both. “Don’t ask me to try and tell you shit I don’t know.”

Brian held his hands up in a placating gesture. Jimmy slapped his palms against his knees in an exasperated motion. However, he said nothing; even he knew when to let things go, though, he took longer than most people.

They went quiet for a few moments, again. Zacky sipped from his bottle, Brian did the same. Jimmy shuffled onto his stomach and gazed at his two friends. The silence stretched on, until Jimmy couldn’t handle it anymore.

Jumping up to his feet, he grinned down at them. “Let me show you something.”

Brian frowned. “Not something else illegal?”

“No,” Jimmy smiled. “Nothing like that. Just…” He paused as he went behind the couch, and with a loud clatter, dragged out the rig he’d set up. “This is what I’ve been working on.”

Zacky leaned forward on his seat, blinking hard. Brian set his bottle down and stared at the object perched in front of them.

“Is that what I think it is?”

Jimmy chuckled. Over the past few weeks, he had gathered not only his prized trashcan lids, but also an assortment of metal pipes, and using his rare talent for metal work, he had soldered the pieces together. In a nutshell he had created a makeshift drum kit. And it was what he’d been using to help create his masterpiece.

“Yep. Requiem of a Garbologist will see the light of day, very soon,” Jimmy announced, his face splitting into the widest, brightest grin anyone could imagine.

Brian groaned, “Unbelievable…”

Zacky, though, couldn’t help but laugh. The expression on Jimmy’s face was just too comical for words, and the mechanic needed something to latch onto that wasn’t depressing or a mood killer. After the discussion they’d just had about Matt, anything, no matter how insane, or stupid, was better than going through that again. And hearing about Jimmy’s escapades, whatever they were, was always the best antidote to a shitty day.

Always. Nothing ever changed there, and that was a good thing.

Last edited by the mice endure on 1/26/2011, 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
    CiaraCobb
    CiaraCobb

24/11 U/D: Shadows Creed - Rated R - Part Fifty-Three - Page 3 Empty Re: 24/11 U/D: Shadows Creed - Rated R - Part Fifty-Three

Post  CiaraCobb 1/26/2011, 12:51 am

Damn, that was kinda depressing yet funny at the same time. Jimmy really is a mood lifter isn't he?

One thing, I think you meant to say "antidote" in that last line rather than "anecdote", but other than that, another great installment. Even though there was a lot of exposition in there, with the guys all filling each other in on plot points, it never felt like filler, which is what can sometimes happen in a situation like that.
    Aightball
    Aightball

Post  Aightball 1/26/2011, 5:24 am

Oh Jimmy! *laughs* Only Jimmy would think of that and I'm sort of shocked that I didn't!

I do wish Matt hadn't burdened Zach will staying quiet. They're all friends and deserve to know what's going on. I can sort of see where he's coming from, of course, but it doesn't mean I agree.
    the mice endure
    the mice endure

Post  the mice endure 1/26/2011, 10:39 am

Haha omg...I never even realised that's what I actually meant, Ciara...thanks so much Very Happy. Anecdote...antidote...lol thanks for pointing that out Very Happy.

Yeah, Jimmy's always good for a laugh. Yes, I worked quite a bit on that update to make sure it wasn't fillerish, lol. I always work on the premise if something is just filler it's not really worth putting down.

Yeh, Kel, I completely agree, Matt's a bit wrong there. That's why Zack's so upset about it.

Thanks you guys Very Happy

~~~~~
    Change the mood

Sweat trickled from Matthew’s hairline; he grunted, setting the weight on its stand, blowing hard. His muscles ached, his arms, his back, all over. He’d worked his body hard, practically punishing himself. It was all part of his usual routine, though. Whenever he completed a task, he always wound down with a solid work out.

He draped his arms over his knees, allowing his muscles to release as he supported his weight against the lower half of his body. Closing his eyes for a moment, Matt breathed out slowly; his shoulders slumped forward as he let himself go completely loose.

“What are you doing, Shads?”

He blinked several times, and lifted his head up slightly. It took him several moments to remember that he wasn’t alone in the gym then another few seconds to realise who had spoken to him. Johnny stood opposite him, a scowl set on his features. The shorter man was leaning against a stack of weights, one arm draped over a bar, other still clutching his bass.

Since they had returned, Johnny had not left Matthew’s presence; it was as if the younger man had some kind of aversion to being alone. He hadn’t wanted to go back out to the tent in the yard. Instead, he trailed Matt around the house, like a little lost puppy.

“Huh?” Matthew finally mumbled in response.

He was still getting used to the fact that there was someone else in the house with him, besides his wife and their dog. Of course, Val wasn’t there, and Bella was outside, but that was beside the point. He was comfortable with his solitude when he was away from the barracks, and having Johnny there was a little unsettling.

Johnny wrinkled his nose. “Why are you doing that?”

“Why am I doing what?” Matt stretched his right leg out along the bench and rubbed at the inside of his thigh.

The younger male rolled his eyes. “Killing yourself.”

Matthew glowered darkly at him. “What the fuck are you talking about?”

“You’re not pissed at yourself for what happened today, are you? I mean…if that were the case, why would you have done any of it?” Johnny looked genuinely confused.

The bigger man stared at him for a long moment. Then he sighed, propping his elbows against his knees. He really wasn’t sure how he felt about the day’s venture. He couldn’t begin to explain the emotions that had come over him throughout the day. He especially couldn’t explain any of it to the man standing in front of him.

Matthew decided he had to say something, though; so, he said in a soft tone, “I’m not pissed, Christ. Everything that happened today… I don’t know what to think of it. Just…” He paused to look at Johnny, his brow furrowed. “I didn’t think you were talking to me.”

Johnny scoffed at the abrupt change of direction. “I just want to know why you’re doing all this.”

There was really only one honest answer to that question, Matthew knew that but he wasn’t ready to voice it. It was far too close to home.

“It doesn’t matter,” he finally answered. “Things change, that’s all.” And how cliché a statement that was, but Matt didn’t have the energy to care. He just wanted to end the conversation. Or at least change the topic. He glanced at the younger man again. “Is that thing glued to you, Christ?”

Johnny blinked, before lowering his gaze to the instrument that he still held close to his chest. He shook his head a little.

Matthew snorted as he swung his feet down to the floor and stood up. “We’ll have to put it somewhere safe…can’t have it out here.” His brow furrowed for a moment, thoughts passing across his eyes.

Johnny tilted his head to the side. “Where?”

A tiny smirk curled at the corners of Matthew’s lips. “I’ve got the perfect place.” He paused, the smile faltering slightly. “You can’t tell anyone, though…”

Johnny’s eyes narrowed, but all he said was, “Who am I supposed to tell?”

Matthew mentally slapped himself for that one. After six years in the clink, of course there wouldn’t be anyone the younger man could speak to. Most likely, all of his friends from his previous life had moved on. No one ever wanted to have anything to do with someone who had gotten into trouble with the law. Especially if The Creed was involved.

“Alright…” Matthew grabbed a towel that was hanging on a rack to the left of the bench. Slinging it around his shoulders, he made for a door at the back of the gym.

The gym was situated at the western corner of the bungalow furthest away from the street. It was quite large, taking up almost a quarter of the house. It had taken several years for Matt to collect the equipment he needed to fully kit out the room, but he now had a complete workout setup, meaning he didn’t need a membership at any local club. As the commander of The Creed it wouldn’t have been right for him to work out anywhere other than the barracks, anyway, but when he wasn’t on site he liked to keep up his fitness.

Val, of course, had been a little weird about the room being turned into a gym. When they’d bought the place she had envisioned the room as an entertaining area. However, Matt had insisted, and she’d relented after he’d promised her the world and more. Not that he’d been able to keep that particular oath…he knew he’d let her down on so many different occasions.

But, there was another purpose for the gym.

When Matthew had been hunting through the real estate guides for the perfect home, he had kept a careful eye out for any property that had a basement. Not many would have one, considering that New Huntington was built on the coast. However, there were certain areas that were elevated enough to have patches of land which could be hollowed out beneath the buildings.

As luck would have it, he had come across the bungalow not long after he started his search, and it had exactly what he was looking for. A subterranean bunker, with the house above it. It was perfect. From the outside of the home, there was no way to tell that there was even a basement. And the only entrance was a single door in the largest room in the house. The one that he’d turned into the gym.

He stood at the threshold, brow drawn tight, before looking back at Johnny who had followed him to the door.

“Remember…”

“My lips are sealed,” Johnny assured him.

Matthew nodded, as he pulled the key from his back pocket and unlocked the door with a click. He motioned for Johnny to go ahead of him; then he stepped in behind him, shutting the door and flicking a switch on the wall beside them.

Johnny blinked several times beneath the garish glow of a single light bulb swinging above their heads. It lit the start of a set of wooden stairs that lead down into darkness.

“What’s down here?” Johnny asked, looking over his shoulder at the bigger man.

Matthew’s jaw tightened slightly, before he said, “You’ll see. Go down the stairs.”

The smaller man hesitated, as he gazed down the steps, obviously a little reluctant to just step down into the dark. Matthew nudged at his back, softly.

“Go on. I’m right behind you.”

Johnny nodded as he stepped down onto the first step; the wood creaked faintly, but didn’t give. The younger male took that as a good sign and finally proceeded to descend into the darkness.

“Unbelievable…” Johnny murmured for about the tenth time since the two men had set foot in the basement room. His bass lay forgotten to one side as he turned slow circles around the large space, looking up at the ceiling and all around him at the walls. Matthew leaned back against a desk which was propped against the eastern wall of the basement, watching the younger man as a tiny smile played across his lips.

Plastered across the walls were several giant posters of the five same men. In large bold, curly type, emblazoned across each poster was the name Rebel Assassin. Beneath each poster was a plaque with the name and date each poster was produced.

Johnny cast a stunned eye over them, before he turned to Matthew with a frown.

“Why do you have these?”

Matthew licked at his lips before he answered, “I found them in The Locker. Thought they set the mood.”

“Mood? For what?”

He didn’t answer right away. Straightening, he walked over to join Johnny in the middle of the room. He indicated the largest poster, which was almost full length, and true to size of the five men.

“See the guy in the middle?”

Johnny blinked. “The one with the bandana and Aviators?”

“Mhm.” Matthew smirked. “That’s Eli Masters. Frontman. He was kind of a pioneer of the new sound that came out in the early sixties. Was a bit of an outcast of society. See the sleeves?”

Johnny tilted his head to one side. “Those are different…”

“He was the first guy outside of a motorcycle gang to go for the full sleeve look,” Matthew explained. “Before that, most metal musicians were less adventurous with their ink work.” He chuckled as he added, “His ink was the inspiration for my own.”

That surprised the younger man; he glanced sideways at the T-One. “Really?”

“Uhuh. Well, at least…he inspired me to go for the full sleeves. The actual artwork I chose is different.”

Johnny’s eyes darted to the bigger man’s muscled arms. “Yeah, yours are pretty cool.” Then he returned his gaze to the poster. “Who’re the others?”

Matthew folded his arms over his chest, as he thought for a moment. Then he nodded a little. “Guy on the far right, the one with the curly afro, that’s Tyler Jackson. Rhythm guitar. Apparently had the voice of an angel.” He tilted his head as he continued. “On the far left is ‘Mr Tough Guy’, lead guitar… he had a reputation with the ladies…mostly bad, though.”

“Who’s the bassist?”

“One on Eli’s left. Jacob Fenton. Interesting character. Never talked much.”

Johnny stepped closer to look at the man standing next to the frontman. Jacob Fenton was a stocky fellow, with a dark stare and grim smile. His hair was swept back; his style was almost sixties/seventies grunge. He glowered out from the poster with a look that spoke volumes: It’s us…against the world.

Johnny moved back and looked at Matthew. “And, the drummer?”

Matthew lifted a hand to point at the figure to Eli’s right. “Matthew Pasan. He’s the one who named the band. They used to call him ‘The Assassin’.”

“Oh…was he the one who tried to kill that politician?”

Matthew snorted. “That’s how the story goes.” He walked over to the desk again and parked his ass in the swivel chair, which was positioned in front of an opened laptop.

Johnny frowned. “Story?”

“The government made a lot of shit up back then,” the bigger male growled, a hint of disgust in his tone.

Johnny blinked. “I don’t get you.”

“Huh?”

“Well, you…you work for The Creed.”

Matthew arched an eyebrow. “And?”

“Why do you have posters of that band all over these walls? And how do you know all this shit? And…and…what do you mean the government made up shit?” Johnny was confused now. He didn’t understand what was going on, and it was unsettling. He shook his head hard as he tried to figure out what was doing. “I mean…having those here…isn’t that illegal? I didn’t think you were one to break the law?”

Matthew stared at the younger male for a long moment, face completely blank, inscrutable. Then he sighed deeply as he turned his head to the laptop, and hit the on button.

“Here, let me show you something.”

Johnny came over to lean against the desk, and craned his neck so he could see the screen. Matthew angled the monitor as the system logged in. The younger man couldn’t help but smile at the desktop wallpaper that was revealed. It was a photo of Matthew with his wife Valary at their wedding.

“You two look happy, there…” Johnny murmured.

Matthew looked at the photo for a long moment before calling up a window that he’d had open earlier. He never actually shut his computer down, just left it hibernating while he was out of the house.

Tapping several keys, he logged onto a program which he’d downloaded to keep his files organised. Val was always on about him being messy, and not having things where he could get easy access. He would beg to differ, considering in his work life he was totally against chaos. Order was the way he liked it. Still, when it came to his personal ‘junk’ that was another story altogether.

Hence the program he had bought off a friend, iPro, which was a freeware program that documented every file on his system. He frowned a little, as he scrolled down the list, finding the file that he wanted to show Johnny.

Matthew called up the file, a video which was backdated a year ago. He glanced over his shoulder at Johnny.

“Watch this…”

Johnny frowned not moving for a moment. “What is it?”

Matthew sighed, clenching his jaw slightly. “Just watch it, Christ. It’ll answer some of those questions you just asked me…” Which really was the only reason he was doing any of this.

Aside from the basement being the perfect place to hide Johnny’s bass, Matt had also decided to let him in onto something he hadn’t even let his closest friends know. It wasn’t a decision he’d come to easily, or made lightly, but considering the position he was in, and also the situation he had found himself in, having to take Johnny in, he believed it was worth it. Besides all that, it wasn’t as if Johnny would blab to anyone. The kid had barely spoken to anyone for the past six years, and as he had so bluntly pointed out earlier it wasn’t like he knew anyone to say anything to.

Of course, Matthew was somewhat nervous. He had been stewing over whether he should show the younger man what he was about to show him. Had even considered showing Zacky earlier. Wanted to, in fact, especially after his friend kept badgering him about what was going on with him, and the whole visit to the Locker and everything else.

But, having decided against that idea, a part of him was now fighting to show someone, to share with anyone what was going inside his head. A scary thought, considering how private a person he was most of the time, but after all the niggling things that had been said by his friends over the past few days, and even longer before that, weeks, months. Especially Jimmy’s continuous ranting about The Creed and about how rock bands were illegal; it was slowly beginning to wear him down.

Matthew sighed again and pushed back from the desk, standing. “Here, sit down…”

Johnny, who still hadn’t moved, slid onto the seat and gripped the armrests, squeezing them nervously. He lifted his gaze to meet the bigger male’s. Matthew leaned over him and hit the play button.

“Watch.”

Johnny lowered his eyes to the screen, a bemused expression on his face. But as the video began to play his eyes widened, and he leaned forward to get closer to the monitor.
    Aightball
    Aightball

Post  Aightball 1/26/2011, 11:19 am

I don't know why, but my brain went right to "Matt's onto Jimmy and has video proof"...though I don't think Matt would do anything to him. However, he also does have to uphold the law, friends or not. I hope that's not what the video is, but that's what my brain thinks.

You know, being from the Midwest, it never occurred to me that homes in California wouldn't have basements...weird.
    CiaraCobb
    CiaraCobb

Post  CiaraCobb 1/26/2011, 1:55 pm

Oh my days, I really wanna know what's on that video, and also what Shads has been doing down there in that basement, sneaky SOB.
    the mice endure
    the mice endure

Post  the mice endure 1/27/2011, 6:35 pm

@Aightball who knows what's on that video Wink. Matt hasn't told ME, yet...lol

@Ciara yeh, he IS sneaky, eh?

Okay, this chapter is the last one that I have written, from now on updates will be slower, but to tide you over, I will begin posting my other A7X fic - The Aviators, so take a peek at that Smile

~~~~~

“I’m listening.”

It was a very subdued, withdrawn Johnny who sat across from Matthew at the kitchen table, as Val served dinner, chatting away about her day’s work. After they had left the basement, the younger male had occupied himself with wandering the house like a lonely ghost, obviously deep in thought. He was shocked, which was entirely expected of him considering what he’d seen.

Matthew’s little video was a surprise package, even to him. A year had gone since he’d filmed himself, and a year had gone since he’d watched it. In fact he couldn’t even remember ever watching it back after that. The recording had taken place at such an odd, random time of the year. Between the insanity of end of year functions and parties, it was just another thing in his busy December calendar that was then swept aside for the New Year. Of course, he didn’t forget what it was that he said and did on that small piece of film, he just hadn’t taken the time to go over it again since.

Seeing Johnny’s reaction to it had inexplicably warmed something in Matthew’s heart, stirred some inner emotion that he hadn’t felt in a long while. And, watching it himself, made him realise that no matter how hard he worked to uphold and maintain the laws, his heart was no longer in it. He was very, very close to giving out. And that could only mean one thing. It was time to get out.

“Matt?”

“Huh?” Matthew blinked, realising Val was looking directly at him, her eyebrows raised questioningly at him.

Val sighed, “I said, do you want some chicken?”

“Oh, right. Thanks,” he smiled as she dished several pieces onto his plate.

Val served herself last as she sat down opposite her husband. “So, how did things go with Johnny’s parents?”

Johnny looked up from his plate, as Matthew tilted his head, brow furrowed faintly.

“Why don’t you ask him, Val?”

Val grimaced apologetically before she turned her gaze to the younger man. “Johnny?”

“Uhuh?” He met her eyes and frowned a little.

“How was it?”

Johnny dropped his stare back to his plate, and pushed some of the food around with his fork. He hunched up his shoulders for a moment then allowed them to slump. For a few minutes it seemed he wouldn’t respond, but then he looked up again and muttered in a barely audible tone.

“Interesting.”

Matthew blinked at that, shaking his head. “That’s it? Come on, it was good, wasn’t it? To see your parents and all…”

Johnny lifted his shoulders in a noncommittal gesture then returned his concentration to the food in front of him. The bigger man pulled a face.

“Matt,” Val admonished her husband. “If that’s all he wants to say, just let him be.”

Matthew held his hand up in a placating gesture as he pushed his own plate away from him. “Alright, I was just saying.”

Val gave him a funny look. “Anyway, what else did you two get up to? You can’t have been at the Seward’s all day.”

There was an uncomfortable pause where Matt found himself just staring at his wife. She raised her eyebrows at him her look pointed. He sighed, as he propped his elbows against the edge of the table. He wasn’t exactly sure how to go about explaining what they’d done, considering the legality issues behind it all. But, he didn’t want to be dishonest.

Val frowned at his hesitation, though. “Matt? Are you up to something?”

“What? Why’d you ask that?” Matthew asked, frowning as well.

“You don’t usually take this long to tell me how your day went.”

“I hardly ever tell you how my day went. It’s usually always the same.”

“Not this time. It’s not every day you have Luke’s younger brother with you,” she pointed out.

“Shit, Val,” Matt groaned. “I can’t believe you brought Luke up.”

At the mention of his elder brother’s name, Johnny interrupted, shocking the couple to a standstill.

“Shut up about my brother!”

They turned as one to the younger man.

“What?” Matthew said his voice tense.

Johnny glared at him. “Just stop saying his name.”

Val sucked at her bottom lip before mumbling an apology, but it was as if she wasn’t even in the room because Johnny only focussed his attention on Matt.

“You don’t fucking say his name, okay? Just…stop…okay,” he trailed off, a slight tremor in his voice.

Matthew sighed, “Okay, I’m sorry.” He pushed away from the table, taking his plate with him. Val watched him as he headed for the kitchen sink, before looking back at the younger male.

Johnny had his head down his hand gripping his fork tightly. His knuckles were white from the hold he had on the utensil.

“Johnny?” she whispered tentatively.

He shook his head, but said, “I miss him. Every day. And, I hate…” his voice petered out as he sniffed a little.

Valary sat there opposite Johnny uncertain what to do or say, but she didn’t have to ponder that for too long because Johnny lifted his head and continued talking. Which considering how quiet he’d been over dinner, was a surprise.

“I hate all the stupid laws. I wish someone would do something to change it…” He shot a look toward Matt that Val couldn’t decipher. It confused her, almost as much as the look her husband gave Johnny in return. Matthew’s expression was dark, as he rolled his eyes toward him.

The smaller male grunted in disgust before he blurted out, “You’re such a hypocrite.”

Val blinked her eyes moving between the two men. She kept quiet though. It wasn’t often anyone confronted Matt over anything, and aside from the argument he’d had with Zacky earlier in the week, it was a very rare occurrence that anyone would call him out for anything at all. She wanted to see, hear how he would respond.

Matthew set his plate down in the sink then gripped the edge of the basin hard. The tendons in his wrists stood out, his muscles tightened visibly. He closed his eyes for a long moment before speaking through gritted teeth.

“I’m the TaskerOne of The Creed; I can’t do anything that’d fuck up my career.”

Johnny scoffed, “But you hate all this as much as I do. As much as your friends do. You admitted as much on that video.”

“Jesus, Christ.” Matthew turned around, and took a step toward the smaller man who actually shrank into his seat. “Nobody knows about that except for you.”

Johnny cringed at the anger in his voice.

Val blinked, shooting a surprised glance at her husband. “What is he talking about?”

Matthew shook his head. His wife stood, glaring at him.

“Don’t you do that to me, Matthew. Don’t you shut me out. I want to know.”

He met her furious gaze, and sighed dragging his fingers over his shorn hair. “Val…” He cleared his throat roughly. “Look, at the end of last year I was out of it. Exhausted from the year…and I was just pissed at a lot of things.”

“So?”

“So, I recorded a bit of a rant…because, I don’t know. I needed to let it out.” Matt shrugged, leaning back against the bench.

Val’s mouth turned down at the corners. “Because you’d rather vent to yourself then tell your wife, who could possibly help you out?”

Matthew grimaced, but she didn’t let him defend himself. “Oh, no wait, that’s not something you’d do because that’d be a sign of weakness.”

“Val…”

“No, you know I’m right. You don’t like to be seen as soft by anyone. But, y’know of all the people you could trust, your wife happens to be one of them.”

Matt stared at her, and then said, “We weren’t even married then.”

For a moment there was silence, and then Johnny, inexplicably began to laugh. Long and hard and as if he would burst at any moment. Val and Matt turned to stare at him, then looked back at each other. The absurdity of the moment finally dawned on them and Matt let out a soft chuckle. Val smiled faintly, shaking her head.

But then she got serious again. Johnny’s amusement subsided and he went back to being quiet on his chair. Val looked up at her husband.

“I’m still right, though.”

Matthew folded his arms over his chest and nodded, not wanting to continue the one-sided argument with her.

“Well?” Val snapped.

He said, with a confused look, “Well, what?”

“Aren’t you going to say anything?”

“To what?”

“To what I just said.”

Matthew blinked. “What do you want me to say? Oh, ‘you’re so right, darling. I’m a closed off bastard, who doesn’t want to seem weak’.” He rolled his eyes. “What the hell good is that supposed to do?”

Val slid back down on her chair and leaned forward against the table, smearing her hands over her face. She shook her head a little, unable to meet her husband’s gaze anymore. The atmosphere in the room had tightened and even Johnny could feel the tension between the couple. He sank down on his chair so as to become as unnoticeable as possible, giving them a semblance of privacy. Not that it made much difference.

After a few minutes, Matthew turned and walked out of the room, without another word, or another glance back. Val stayed at the table for a moment, before pushing her chair and getting up. She glanced absently over at Johnny.

“I’ll set up the spare room for you.”

Johnny started, opening his mouth, but she held up a hand and shook her head. “You’re not going back to that tent. If Matt says anything, tell him I’m fine with it.”

Johnny nodded; Val added, not really speaking to him anymore, “If he’s going to go showing you, personal stuff that he won’t talk to me about…” She didn’t finish just went over to the sink and proceeded to clear up the dishes.

Johnny observed her in silence for several moments, but then spoke up, his voice scratchy. “Um…Val, I don’t know what’s going on with you two, but…” He paused, getting up and walking over to stand at the other end of the bench.

She looked up at him. “But?”

“Do you want me to do that?” Johnny pointed with his chin at the dishes.

Val blinked several times as if she was surprised at the male’s offer. She had to pull her mind together before she could formulate a response.

“Um, sure…if you want.”

Johnny shoved his hands in the pockets of his shorts and mumbled in response, “You could…um…go and see how he’s doing…” He said this in a low voice because he didn’t want to appear as if he was telling her what to do. It wasn’t his place, after all.

Val smiled a little, realising almost in an instant what the younger male was doing. He obviously had sensed the tension; it was pretty hard to miss. She had felt it. It was almost a tangible thing. She removed her hands from the basin and stepped back.

“The detergent’s in the cupboard under the basin. Just stack the plates on the rack when you’re finished.”

Johnny smiled for the first time since they’d been in the kitchen. “I know how to wash dishes, Valary.”

Val laughed, “Sorry, of course. Most people do…um…well, I’ll leave you to it. Will you be alright here?”

Johnny nodded as he moved in front of the sink.

Val looked at him for a moment longer; he flashed a half-hearted smile at her. She patted the edge of the bench then made for the door. She paused to look back at him. He waved a hand at her. Sighing, she turned and left the kitchen.

When Val walked into the bedroom she could see Matthew on the bed, his big body still. He lay face down with his head burrowed against his pillow. He’d stripped down to his shorts and she could see the taut lines of muscle running the length of his back. She hesitated a moment before she climbed up on the bed, kicking her shoes off on the way.

Matt didn’t move, until she settled next to him and placed a hand against his back. With a grunt, he turned his head so he could look at her.

“Hey,” she said with a small smile.

“Hey…” Matt murmured as he reached for her free hand. Val allowed him to take hold of it and just watched as he began to stroke the back of her hand with his thumb. It was a bit awkward because of the fact that he was on his stomach and she was positioned on her side next to him, but it was obvious he didn’t want to move, yet.

Val squeezed at his hand. “I’m sorry about before.”

Matthew shook his head, pressing his lips against the tips of her fingers.

Val started, “I shouldn’t have-”

“Shhh, Val…you were right.” Matthew looked into her eyes, expression grave. He continued before she could protest, “You were right to say all that.” He closed his eyes for a moment, so he didn’t see her shake her head at him. When he opened them again he could see the pained look on her face. “What?”

Val cleared her throat, but instead of saying what she really wanted to – ‘sorry for suggesting you’re weak’, she said, “Saying it in front of Johnny probably wasn’t the wisest move, though.”

He chuckled. “Maybe not. But…you were still right.” He shifted onto his side so he could push her hair from her face. They were quiet for a moment as they observed each other. Then he added, “I’m not very good at talking about things like this.”

Val settled on her side, not knowing whether she should agree with him or not. She didn’t want to upset him by suggesting she thought badly of him in any way. His temper was not something she wanted to trigger. Nor did she want him to think that she didn’t support him in every way.

Matthew knew her mind, though and said with a hint of bitterness, “You agree with that, don’t you.”

“Matt…” she sighed but said nothing more. He didn’t press and just continued to stroke her hand.

After a few minutes, he shifted again, propping his cheek against his hand and looking down at her. “Tell me about your day?”

Val narrowed her eyes slightly at him. “I already did.”

“Yeah, but I wasn’t really paying attention,” Matthew admitted, which shocked her a little. Normally he would have argued her point or just shut himself down and not responded to her statement at all. But, he had been acting somewhat different ever since she’d arrived home and part of her had to concede it was a surprise. It reminded her a little of how he used to be when they were a younger. Familiar, yet strange all at once.

Keeping all those thoughts quiet, Val looked at him to gauge his mood – still tensed, but a little more relaxed than earlier - before she said, “Okay…I can do that.”

He smiled and rested his head back against the pillow, closing his eyes again. Giving her hand a light touch he muttered, “I’m listening.”

And so Val proceeded to regale her husband with the goings on at the council that day. He listened with his eyes shut, but his face turned toward her. She could tell he was concentrating by the way his expressions changed, and the fact that he made muttered responses whenever he wanted her to clarify something.

The normality of the moment was heart wrenching for Valary, because she knew it probably wouldn’t last. But, she would take whatever time she could with Matt no matter what guise it came in, and she would savour it for as long as she was able. And even though Johnny was probably no more than a hundred feet away in the kitchen, it felt as if it was just her and Matt in the house and that was a good feeling.
    Aightball
    Aightball

Post  Aightball 1/28/2011, 12:58 am

I'm glad Johnny made that slip...I think it opened Matt's eyes to what he needs to work on. Oddly he and I are similar...I don't like to open up about stuff, either, to my SO. Particularly when the problem *is* my SO. It will be interesting to see where Matt takes it from here. I'd like him to quit The Creed, but I don't think that will happen. Sad
    CiaraCobb
    CiaraCobb

Post  CiaraCobb 1/28/2011, 3:58 am

Oh I loved that final scene with Matt and Val talking about her day. So normal, so touching.

So Matt was having a rant about The Creed was he? Come on Johnny, use those awesome midget powers of yours to convince him to quit...either that or Eski's gonna give him the boot anyway once he finds out what he took from the Locker.

Gonna go check out The Aviators now, since I've enjoyed this so much.
    andigo
    andigo

Post  andigo 1/29/2011, 1:10 am

Am going to make a proper start on reading this this weekend but have been reading bits and pieces and the comments and the thing about houses in California not having basements reminded me of Brandan from Bleeding Through explaining why this guy in the OC who let them (and loads of other bands from the area - on the dvd he wonders out loud if that ever included Avenged, but of course they had the garage) use little Orbit Studio to practice in because they had fewer options than bands in other states who had big basements as ready-made rehearsal rooms Smile
    but I'll always remember meeting a woman in Santa Barbara who told us she would trade fires for tornados anyday, and that was literally not that long before that fire ravaged Santa Barbara :/ made me realise we shouldn't complain so much about the rain here, although I still do Very Happy
    Aightball
    Aightball

Post  Aightball 1/29/2011, 2:17 am

I still can't believe the no basements thing. But I live close to tornado alley, so...

I would love to live in So. Cal. but I wouldn't be able to give up my summer weather. I'll have to stay in tornado alley to stay happy, because I have to have thunderstorms and tornados. I just must. =)
    andigo
    andigo

Post  andigo 1/29/2011, 4:57 am

Unless it's been a converted flat I don't think I've ever even been in a basement
    Aightball
    Aightball

Post  Aightball 1/29/2011, 6:00 am

affraid Wow...I lived in my parents basement for years...and it wasn't finished or converted. Just rooms, and until they moved the laundry upstairs, a laundry room. But I had a carpet remnant, and went upstairs to eat, cook, and shower. Otherwise, I was mostly in the basement. It's also a tornado shelter, of course.
    andigo
    andigo

Post  andigo 1/29/2011, 7:50 am

we tend to have just attics instead, my brother's old bedroom was converted from the attic Smile

Aightball
    Aightball

Post  Aightball 1/29/2011, 7:57 am

Cool =). We have those as well, though I most see them in older houses, especially the bigger ones. My grandma's house has both, though her attic is far too small to make a good bedroom. The roof slants all wrong for it.
    the mice endure
    the mice endure

Post  the mice endure 1/29/2011, 9:28 am

Love the weather talk Wink.

Yes, I figured considering Huntington is on the coast they wouldn't have basements due to flooding.

We had a bunker where I lived in Queensland [you've probably heard of that state here in Australia because of all the massive flooding over there] so not a basement because it wasn't under the house, it was under our swimming pool. But we lived on a hill, so that was okay.

I live in Perth Western Australia now...and we're now on a cyclone watch...none of the houses here are built for cyclones ...they have tiled roofs....>.>.

Aightball
    Aightball

Post  Aightball 1/29/2011, 1:36 pm

Stupid question time: cyclone = hurricane?

I love tornados, but we're built for them here. Each storm is used as a learning tool for the next one. What they learn from on tornado goes to the building of the homes and businesses and is applied to the next storm and so on. There have been some minor earth quakes up in the midwest of late and we are NOT equipped for those!
    the mice endure
    the mice endure

Post  the mice endure 1/29/2011, 1:40 pm

Yes, except cyclones go clockwise, I believe? well they go opposite to hurricanes.

Tornados fascinate me. Perth hasn't had a cyclone since the 1970s. We're quite south on the Western side of Australia, so normally we would get cyclones. So, hence no cyclone proof housing.
    Aightball
    Aightball

Post  Aightball 1/29/2011, 1:45 pm

Tornados are very interesting. They can leave one side of a street untouched and destroy the other side. There are so many myths about them, too, and it's very interesting to see what is learned from each storm. I have yet to see one, sadly, but someday!
    the mice endure
    the mice endure

Post  the mice endure 1/29/2011, 1:47 pm

I meant wouldn't...not would...>.<

And Yeah, I've seen footage of tornados only. We can get them here in Oz too, but nothing massive like in the US. We have what's called willy willies, that are much smaller.
    Aightball
    Aightball

Post  Aightball 1/29/2011, 1:49 pm

I think I'm technically in tornado alley, though we don't get them like some places do. We've had the sirens go off quite a bit last summer, which was something different. But we never actually had a tornado. I should grab a video I took of a storm we had this summer. I got off work and decided to go storm chasing before I went home. I caught some rotation, but it never developed. Let me see if I can find it.
    Aightball
    Aightball

Post  Aightball 1/29/2011, 2:07 pm

Here is one of them: Clouds . Here is the other one: Clouds I
    CiaraCobb
    CiaraCobb

Post  CiaraCobb 1/29/2011, 7:36 pm

I watched those vids, and just so you know, I won't be coming to visit.
    I am terrified of storms, like, hide under the bed terrified. All comes from a house down the street from me getting hit by lightning when I was a kid and burning to the ground. The storm was right overhead, you could taste metal in the air and the static made all my hair go frizzy.
    the mice endure
    the mice endure

Post  the mice endure 1/29/2011, 7:53 pm

Wow, those clouds look amazing! Scary, though.
    Aightball
    Aightball

Post  Aightball 1/30/2011, 12:33 am

CiaraCobb wrote:I watched those vids, and just so you know, I won't be coming to visit.

I used to be like that as well, as a kid. I don't know what triggered it, though getting woken up in the middle of the night to a loud "BOOM!" and then flashing green light didn't help. Lightning hit a transformer about a block or two from our house and we didn't have power for a day or two while they fixed it. We also lost at tree to lightning. Sadly, I was at work.

Lightning is my favorite part of the storm. I can stand outside of hours just watching the lightning and I want a camera some day that will take lightning shots. I'm an amateur storm chaser (never go far from home), and I always look for cool clouds (like the ones in the video), lightning, and tornados.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 5/17/2024, 3:24 pm