Deathbat Country - An Avenged Sevenfold Fan-Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

send news tips to deathbatcountry6661@hotmail.com

WELCOME TO THE FAMILY! WE ARE GLAD TO HAVE YOU HERE!
Thank you for your support, it is greatly appreciated!
R.I.P. James Owen Sullivan a.k.a. The Rev 1981-2009

+3
Aightball
CiaraCobb
the mice endure
7 posters

24/11 U/D: Shadows Creed - Rated R - Part Fifty-Three

the mice endure
    the mice endure

24/11 U/D: Shadows Creed - Rated R - Part Fifty-Three - Page 9 Empty Re: 24/11 U/D: Shadows Creed - Rated R - Part Fifty-Three

Post  the mice endure 10/1/2012, 2:49 pm

Here it is finally, shorter chapter, but hey it works better like that Very Happy

Breathing Space

Val tucked the phone beneath her ear as she scribbled down some notes. “Alright…so, the Mayor wishes to come speak to you at noon tomorrow, if that’s okay with you? Sure. Of course. Oh, and I will be coming to take notes.” She smiled faintly as Jason made a joke about not having seen her for years. “I know it has been a while. Of course. It will be good. But, it’s work.”

She frowned a little when he brought up her husband. “Matt’s fine.” She shook her head even though the male couldn’t see her. “No. Everything’s good with him.” Which wasn’t entirely true, but she didn’t feel right telling Jason any more after what Matthew had gone through, and she still felt bad about going behind his back to his former 2IC.

After several more minutes of organising a meeting with the new T-One, she hung up and turned back to the papers spread out in front of her. The reports on Elliott’s campaign were half finished and she needed to gather the notes she had taken during his first speech to compile in the first report.

“Val?”

She glanced up just as Elliott returned from another meeting. “Hey, how was the meeting?”

“Tedious,” the elder male sighed as he settled in a chair next to her. “Hopefully the next one will be more…stimulating.”

Val smiled. “We’re seeing the TaskerOne tomorrow at noon.”

The Mayor’s lips twisted slightly at that. “Great. That will be a good meeting. Have some suggestions for The Creed.” Val raised her eyebrows at him; he just smiled and reached over to squeeze her shoulder gently. “Your husband did a good job, but times are changing and they need a bit of a revamp.”

She remained silent at the mention of Matthew. As with Jason, the same with the Mayor, it just didn’t feel right to her to be talking about her husband. He’d done his job and now he was out. Better any criticisms come from the Mayor or from Jason, she couldn’t be disloyal to her husband.

“Anyway, that’s tomorrow. You can finish up now, if you want. Been a long day,” Elliott said with a lazy smile. Val nodded as she gathered her documents together. She paused before stuffing the reports’ file into her bag; she’d go over them at home if she had the time.

“Don’t stay too late, sir.” Because Elliott often was still there as she was leaving, and she knew of one or two times where he had not even bothered to go home. Elliott just chuckled at her suggestion and waved her out of the office.

“Val! Valary!”

Val lowered her book at the sound of her husband’s voice followed by the front door slamming. She called out to him.

“In the living room!” Then she frowned as he stalked in and flopped down on the recliner opposite her. “What is it?”

Matthew grunted in acknowledgement as he dragged a hand through his hair. “Un-fucking-believable…just…fuck.” He leaned his face in his hands and groaned out loud. Val frowned even more, a little shocked by the tone of his voice.

“Matt, what is it?” she repeated, sharply. He looked at her through his fingers then sighed, lowering his hands to his sides.

He shook his head then spoke, roughly. “I went and saw Eskino.”

“Oh? About your job?” Worry crossed Val’s face. “You’re not thinking of trying to get back into The Creed?”

Matthew laughed as he answered, “No. No chance of that, hun. No…it’s something else.” He paused, as he was evidently trying to figure out how to answer her question. “Damn it… Val. He was in a band when he was younger.” His voice was flat, hard with disbelief.

Val stared at her husband in shock. “Excuse me?” She blinked several times and shook her own head hard. “You have to be shitting me?”

Matthew rolled his eyes. “Nope. Not shitting you. He told me that was the case. Zack and Jimmy were there too.” He sat back against his seat as Val just continued to stare at him, attempting to process what he had just revealed.

“Wow,” Val said after several minutes had passed. “Wow…” She cleared her throat. “Was this…before the ban?”

Matthew folded his arms and nodded. “Yeah. Of course.”

Val shifted on her seat uncomfortably, setting her book down on the coffee table. Her husband tilted his head to the side eyes fixed on her quizzically. She smiled faintly at him as she pulled her feet under her bottom and moved into a more comfortable position.

Then her lips twisted into a frown again. “Do you know what band? Or was it just a garage band?”

Matthew shook his head, lips twisted into a grim smile. “It was Rebel Assassin.”

Later that night they lay in bed; Val was cuddled into Matthew’s big body one arm placed lightly across his hard torso. He had one hand gently tangled in her hair as he just listened to her quiet breaths. They had been laying there for a quite a long time, not speaking just settled in each other’s company. Every now and again, Matthew would nuzzle into her hair and run a hand from her head down her side then back again, absently twirling strands of her hair around his long fingers. Val just remained quiet, making no comment, comfortable and deep in her thoughts.

She was mostly still in shock at Matthew’s revelation concerning the General – he was Assassin’s original drummer before he had joined the armed forces and was forced to drop out.

The implications of what her husband had told her were too hard to even fathom. It was no wonder Eskino had left Jason in charge at The Creed. Conflict of interest...big time that was. It almost made him a hypocrite for him to even be the General. That she couldn’t understand. And Matthew hadn’t been able to shed any light on that matter.

Not that she wanted to know or think about it, really. Other thoughts started to come to mind. She needed a break for one and that made her wonder whether maybe she needed to say something about that.

“Matt?”

“Hmmm?” Matthew nuzzled gently into her hair for what seemed the hundredth time.

Val paused, uncertain whether she should ask what had come to her mind, or not. But, finally she came to a decision and asked softly, “What do you think about going away for the weekend?”

“Going away?” he sounded surprised; it was obviously not what he expected to hear.

Valary shifted so she could look up into his eyes. “Yes. Out of town. Just you and me? I’m free this weekend.”

Matthew’s nostrils flared slightly as he stared back at her; for a moment he looked perplexed but then his expression softened as he pressed his lips to her forehead in a gentle gesture.

“Sounds like a great idea,” he said finally as he stroked her cheek. All things considered her suggestion was actually a good one. The campaign and his plans could wait, especially since his friends all thought he should spend more time with his wife, anyway. “Where’d you want to go?”

Val nuzzled into his chest. “My parents have a cabin in the Forest.”

Matthew lifted an eyebrow. “There’s no one else for miles round there.” Val gave a soft giggle. He laughed feeling her breath tickle his skin. “That’s the idea, is it? Get me alone to yourself?”

“Well, it’s hard here in town…” she murmured. “What with your friends hogging you.”

“True,” Matthew smiled and stroked her hair from her face, tracing a thumb across her cheek. Val leaned into his touch and closed her eyes. He smiled more, observing as her facial features softened the day’s worries disappearing for a moment in time.

He buried his face in her hair and murmured, “We can go and forget all the shit for a while…”

Val giggled again and cuddled closer feeling more content than she had in a long time. And relieved. Relieved that she had spoken up and hadn’t resorted to the default of not telling Matt what she was thinking. Relieved that he hadn’t baulked at the suggestion. Relieved that they were together…and were finally going to have time to themselves as a married couple. Sure, she had the meeting with the Mayor and Jason the next day, but that would be over with quickly and then she would have the weekend to look forward to.

Valary curled up as Matthew wrapped his big body around her and they eventually fell asleep like that, pressed together, warm and happy for once in their lives.

Aightball
    Aightball

24/11 U/D: Shadows Creed - Rated R - Part Fifty-Three - Page 9 Empty Re: 24/11 U/D: Shadows Creed - Rated R - Part Fifty-Three

Post  Aightball 10/2/2012, 8:52 am

Holy plot twist! O.O You did a good one there. And how the fuck is he the General with that past hanging over him? Wow...I can't wait to see how this all plays out.
    the mice endure
    the mice endure

Post  the mice endure 10/7/2012, 1:34 am

I know right? Developments...developments...Wink
    the mice endure
    the mice endure

Post  the mice endure 10/13/2012, 11:28 am

The Forest

Light flickered in a small lamp that was placed in the centre of the dining table. Matthew sat at the table, opposite his wife, a small hand of cards splayed out in front of him.

“You got an ace of spades?” Valary asked with a smile as she watched the concentration on his face. He smirked and popped a couple of peanuts in his mouth as he fiddled with his cards. She raised her eyebrows in expectation. He just smirked at her and shifted his weight glancing out the window into the cool, yet peaceful night.

“Matt?”

“Hmmm?” He glanced at her, noticing for the first time, in probably a long time, how beautiful she looked. She had her hair down, the dark strands framing her face and her eyes were bright, open, trusting.

Val tilted her head, obviously feeling his eyes on her then she said, softly, “Penny for your thoughts?”

Matthew sighed as he laid his cards, face down, on the table. He stood and walked over to the window, not immediately responding. He braced his palms on the window sill and craned his neck to look out at the trees surrounding the cabin.

“It’s so quiet, Val.”

Val smirked as she said, “Too quiet?”

Matthew laughed and turned to face her. “Anything could happen.”

“Yeah…you could murder me and no one would hear the screams,” she said with a soft smile. He rolled his eyes and shook his head.

“We could have wild sex and no one would complain.”

Val giggled. “I definitely wouldn’t complain.”

Matthew moved to stand behind her chair, walking slowly to brace his hands against her shoulders. She tilted her head to look up at him. He smiled broadly then leaned down to kiss her softly on the mouth. She reached up to touch his cheek.

Since they’d arrived at the cabin her husband had been extremely attentive toward her. And considering the morning she had had it was a real blessing.

When she had arrived home from the meeting with the Mayor and Jason, Matthew had taken one look at her and insisted they leave for the Forest right then and there. The original plan was that they would leave on the Saturday morning. But, that plan was scrapped when Matt saw the state his wife was in. Val had looked pale as a ghost and she hadn’t been able to open up about what had transpired, but whatever it was he knew it had shaken her to the core. Getting away then became the number one priority.

“Val,” Matthew murmured against her lips. She trembled at the sound of his voice a frisson of delight causing her to moan softly. He nuzzled then pulled her up into his arms and against his hard body. She wrapped her arms around his waist and buried her face in his shirt. He held her close and smoothed a hand over her back. She leaned in more and inhaled deeply, nuzzling into his chest, as her breath caught slightly.

Matthew shushed her gently, stroking her back more. “You want to talk about it?”

Val blinked at him; he smiled slightly. She nodded and drew back from him, sitting back on her chair. He pulled his chair around next to hers so he could be close. She shifted so she could lean against his shoulder. He ran his fingers through her hair and waited for her to speak.

“Don’t hate me for saying this,” Val said, quietly.

Matthew stroked her cheek gently, “I’d never hate you…”

She trembled and looked away. “Jason knows you’re up to something. And he knows that I know some of it…he made me tell him everything I knew…I…” she swallowed hard. He frowned slightly but nodded for her to go on. “I didn’t have a choice. Matt, I’m sorry…I couldn’t lie.”

Matthew exhaled roughly, but kept up the tender stroking. “No, of course not. I wouldn’t expect you too.” Val looked down a pained expression passing over her face. He tilted her chin up. “I’m not mad at you, love. You did the right thing.”

She bit at her cheek, a surprised look lighting up her eyes. “The right thing? But…I practically ratted you out.”

Matt smirked slightly. “You realise why I haven’t told you everything?” Val stared at him then nodded as it dawned on her the reason he was keeping the full extent of his plans from her.

“You knew something like this would happen.” It wasn’t a question. He sighed heavily as he leaned back against his chair, crossing his arms in front of him. “Matt?”

He dragged a hand over his face. “I figured something might.” He smiled sadly. “I’m not…I’m not doing anything safe here, Val.”

Val nodded then said slowly, “But, you wouldn’t be doing it if you didn’t think it were important, right?”

Matthew gave a grim smile. “Right.”

Val reached out for his hand. He closed his fingers lightly over hers and smiled. She shivered. He stroked his thumb over the back of her hand then twined his fingers with hers.

“The Creed will come after you,” Val said after several moments had passed anxiety in her voice. Matthew continued the motion of his thumb but said nothing, just frowned. “Jason said your actions would not be tolerated.”

Matthew chuckled, darkly. “I’m not surprised. He does his job well. It’s why he was my second in command.”

Val squeezed his hand hard, her voice catching. “I can’t…I can’t lose you…” She finally voiced the fear she was feeling; the fear that she wouldn’t have admitted to except that they were in a safe, secluded space where she felt she could be honest.

Matthew frowned at her statement and pulled her onto his lap, holding her close. She trembled and looked up into his face, a hint of fear in her eyes. He ran the tip of his nose along her cheek and murmured gently to her.

“I’m being careful, hun.”

She shook her head and whispered, “Jason said what you’re doing is treason…and…and treason is punishable by…” she couldn’t finish the thought. Matthew pressed his fingers to her lips and shook his head slowly.

“I know, love. But, you need to trust me, okay?”

Val shivered, lips parting at his touch then slowly she licked at the tips of his fingers. He chuckled low.

“Enough talk, hey?”

She nodded emphatically as she sucked at the end of his index finger. He smiled and stood, and she released his finger, wrapping her arms around his neck as he carried her out of the dining room.

Val lay back on the bed eyes glazed, breaths escaping in soft pants as Matthew lay between her thighs, and stroked her slowly. They were both half undressed not in any hurry to move any further than touching and kissing.

“Mattie…” she moaned as his fingers found her core and pressed in deep. He chuckled softly and stroked slowly as she moved her hips. Then he leaned down and pressed his lips to the sensitive spot just below her navel. She groaned and arched to him. He pressed her hips down again.

“Patience, babe…we have all night,” he soothed as she shuddered at the movement of his finger inside her. Val clutched at the sheets, breathing hard as he twisted the digit brushing the knuckle against her spot. “Though…maybe your body disagrees…” Matthew chuckled as she groaned and jerked slightly at a small rush that ran through her. He ran the tip of his fingers across her stomach and smiled as she came down after a moment, breathing deeply.

“Damn it…” she laughed softly and met his amused eyes. “Not usually that fast…”

Matthew just smiled. “I love you anyway.”

Val rolled her eyes.

He frowned. “What? I tell you I love you and all I get is an eye roll?”

“Um…”

Matthew pulled back, his mood abruptly shifting.

Val’s brow furrowed at the change. “Mattie?” She reached out to him.

He turned away and sat on the edge of the bed. She moved so she was kneeling behind him, one hand resting on his broad back, the other sliding around his shoulders. His big body tensed at the contact. Val sighed.

“Can’t get passed it?” she murmured against the back of his neck. He exhaled roughly and glanced at her from the corner of his eyes.

“We’ve been married how long?” he rasped out. She sat back and looked at him hard.

“Why should that matter?”

Matthew just glowered at her then groaned and dragged his fingers through his hair as he softened. “I’m sorry. I’ve…forgotten how to do this.” He closed his eyes and hunched his shoulders. Val stroked his back and then leaned against him.

“You’re doing okay,” she said. Matthew shook his head. She frowned. “You are. Considering…”

He sighed, “That’s the thing. This is…really hard.” He flopped back on the bed, looking up at her. Val sat next to him and ran her fingers over his stomach. He blinked at her then said, “And…I need to tell you what’s really going on.”

“Now?”

“Why not now? No one to interrupt us…” Matthew smirked as he added, “And no prying eyes or ears.”

Val tilted her head to the side. “Why would that…” her voice dropped off as she realised that was a stupid question.

“I told you what we’re doing is illegal.”

“You did.”

“Well,” Matthew shuffled up and took hold of her hands in his, squeezing them gently. “You know I’m helping PG with his campaign…”

Val nodded. “You’re helping him with a song, right.”

“That’s all it was meant to be…well, that’s all PG was expecting,” he said, watching her face. She nodded again. He licked his lips. “But, it’s become more than that.”

“More?”

Matthew drew in a deep breath before continuing in response. “Yes.” His breath hitched. “Fuck, Val…I’m putting Brian and Jimmy and Zack in a lot of danger…but…they want to help and they’re my friends. I can’t…”

“Mattie, just tell me what it is you’re doing,” Val interrupted gently, sensing that if she didn’t he’d lose himself in his anxieties. Matthew screwed up his face and she couldn’t help but smile at the expression. He looked so cute when he was worried. “Matt?”

“We’re forming a band.”

Val blinked several times just staring at him. Matthew waited, not wanting to press her for a response. She swallowed hard and then before either of them realised what she was doing, she leaned in and kissed him hard on the mouth. That was not the reaction he had been expecting, but Matthew wasn’t going to argue with it. He caught hold of her shoulders but responded, groaning softly and kissing back.

She shifted so she was astride his legs and pressed closer; he blinked at her and opened his mouth to speak but she pressed her fingers to his lips and shook her head.

Matthew realised as she reached down between his legs and grasped him firmly that this was probably the only way she could clear her mind. His statement had shocked her; it still surprised him in all honesty, to say the words out loud. And, of course they were both still aroused from their earlier touching and kissing.

He grunted as she pushed herself down onto him. She held still for a moment as she framed his face with her hands. He smiled and nuzzled against her nose. She kissed him softly then moved gently on him. He smirked and rolled his hips upward eliciting a soft cry from her. He repeated the motion as she clutched onto his shoulders.

“Mattie…” Val murmured his name against his skin; her breath caused him to shiver. Matthew stroked her hair as they moved, and he just held her close.

They stayed like that for a long time; joined together the physical closeness all that they needed to settle their anxieties, to help get them passed the oddities of life. At least, for the time being. There would be plenty of time later to think about what they had just spoken of. Now was time for them to… just be.
    Aightball
    Aightball

Post  Aightball 10/14/2012, 9:03 am

Well...many twists I didn't see coming in this chapter!! Matt is doing the right thing and so is Val...let's just hope the Creed doesn't come after them. I know they will, but let's hope they don't.
    the mice endure
    the mice endure

Post  the mice endure 11/29/2012, 10:31 am

Hmmm....

Here it is, finally!

The Astor

Johnny stood frozen in the middle of the living room, eyes wide as the door was flung open and his parents were forced to stand against the wall.

“No! For fuck’s sake, sir…they’ve done nothing wrong,” he protested as he finally found his voice. Two soldiers stood with their rifles aimed at his mom and dad who stood with their arms around each other. Jason Berry stood opposite, expression cold, hard, as he glowered at the younger male.

“I am aware of that, Jonathan. Nothing is going to happen to them. But, you are coming with us.” Jason’s voice was clipped, brooking no refusal.

“No…I can’t go back there,” Johnny couldn’t prevent the whine in his voice. “Please…” His knees buckled and he grabbed onto the back of a chair. “Please…I can’t…” He didn’t care that he looked weak; he felt weak so it wasn’t like he was lying to himself.

Jason growled low, “You either come with us willingly, or you will be shot.”

Mary gasped and whispered, “No…” Frank held her firmly as he knew there was nothing they could do.

Johnny looked over to his parents, anguish written all over his face. He had known that the happiness and contentment he felt couldn’t last. Sure, Matthew had done a good thing in returning him to his family, but at the same time, Johnny had known it was a doomed exercise. It couldn’t last; he knew The Creed would be after him to return him to the Hell that was the Astor.

It had escalated suddenly. He and his family were enjoying a meal together when the sound of several vehicles pulling up in the driveway had caught Johnny’s attention. With a single glance out the window he’d recognised The Creed’s trucks and he’d set his knife and fork down, feeling sick to the stomach. He’d been of two minds: Make a run for it, or stay put. The first option sounded good, but there was no way he could escape. The second was the wiser option, though it wasn’t any better.

And so, here they were.

He swallowed hard looking at Jason. “Alright…alright…” He didn’t say anything else, just stood and turned, placing his hands at the small of his back.

The click of cuffs around his wrists made him shudder as he stood there. The soldier gripped his left bicep firmly and pulled him passed his parents. Frank reached out to him and pulled him into a hard embrace as the soldier stood back to give them space. Jason observed the family in silence as Mary joined her husband in holding their son.

“Keep your chin up, son,” Frank said firmly. Johnny nodded as he squared his shoulders. “That’s my boy.” There was a very slight tremor in the elder male’s voice. “We’ll see you…” He hesitated as he glanced at Jason who just scowled in response. Frank looked back at Johnny. “Just stay strong, ‘kay?”

Johnny nodded again then allowed himself to be led out of the house. He looked back over his shoulder to see his parents framed by the front door, holding each other. His stomach clenched to see them there. He tore his gaze away from them and submitted to the soldier who steered him to the truck and got him to climb in. He didn’t look out as the truck started and rumbled out of his driveway.

Johnny stood staring down at his feet, ignoring the jeers of the other inmates as he was processed. His heart was in his mouth and a dark foreboding settled over him as he knew there would be no Shadows to help pull him out of his funk.

Last he’d heard as his escort lead him to solitary was that The Creed were considering going after Matthew – the guards were muttering about it and Johnny knew there would be many an inmate who would be secretly pleased about that. Matthew had put a lot of them away and some of them were the type to hold grudges. And, considering the nature of what his friend was up to, it was no wonder The Creed were deciding to crack down on him. What bothered Johnny though was how fast it had all happened. He knew Matthew had been extremely careful and hadn’t told anyone about what they were doing…

“Oi, Johnny boy, you hear what Shadows’ lovely wife told Berry?”

Johnny blinked and glowered at the guard who was processing him. “Don’t you say anything bad about Valary.”

The guard laughed, harshly. “She’s paid by the Mayor, sonny. You think she would risk losing her job by keeping her mouth shut about illegal activities?”

The muscles in Johnny’s neck tightened and he shook his head angrily, clenching his fists. The guard took a step back just as another raised his weapon and aimed it at him. Johnny held up his hands and backed down. He knew he wouldn’t win a fight with a guard, though he really wanted to hit the guy for even suggesting that Val would rat her husband out.

“So,” the guard asked again. “You hear?”

“No,” he replied shortly.

“No? Well, this is good. She told Berry everything.”

Johnny frowned. “No…she wouldn’t do that to Matt.” His gaze hardened as he glared at the guard. “There is no way…”

“Believe what you want, kid. Berry knows everything and Shadows will most likely face the firing squad when he’s caught.” The guard finished checking his details then nodded to the other guard. “Cell 76. Secure him.”

The guard with the gun prodded Johnny in the back, pushing him toward the entrance of the block. “Move it.”

Johnny grunted but assented to being steered to his cell, tuning everything out as he went.

“Fu-uck…what? Frank, slow down…tell me again what went down…” Matthew brought the car to a halt outside the front of their house, cell phone pressed to his ear, brow furrowed in anger.

Val glanced at him sideways, watching the look of sheer and utter violence in his eyes. It made her feel decidedly nervous of him. Their nice weekend had turned sour as on the Sunday, he had gotten a call from the Seward’s that had thrown him out of his relaxed mood. Something about Johnny being taken by The Creed. That had put Matt on edge and now they were home after having hurriedly packed and left late that night.

“Matt?” Val mouthed, questioningly. He held up a finger as he continued to listen to Frank, then he nodded tightly after a moment and clicked his phone off, tossing it onto the dash.

“The Creed has Johnny.” His voice was flat, but there was a dangerous glint in his eyes. Val shivered.

“What’re you thinking?”

Matt’s jaw tightened as he looked out at their house. “I need to go see the General again.”

Valary blinked. “What for?”

He met her curious gaze. “He said something odd about Johnny…and I need to figure out where he really stands in all this.”

“Eskino?”

Matthew nodded and returned his gaze to the front of the house, stroking at his chin absently. Val sighed and reached out to touch his arm. He shivered slightly, glancing at her, a tired smile making its way to his lips. She tilted her head. He smiled a little more then sighed.

“You can come with?”

Val leaned her head on his shoulder, holding his hand. “Sure.”

He squeezed her hand then switched the car off. “Come on, let’s unpack first. Then I’ll call him.”

Eskino sat opposite his brother in the opulent living room of his grand home. The other male frowned in consternation at the news he’d just passed on.

“You didn’t have a hand in any of this, did you?”

The General shook his head as he shifted his cane against his left leg. “You know I didn’t. I would keep that young man out of The Astor if I could.” Elijah narrowed his eyes then grimaced, nodding.

“True. Just like you did for me.” He looked over to where Melissa had walked in with a tray of drinks. His assistant froze when she saw the General.

“General…”

Eskino smiled genially at the young woman. “Ah, I remember you.”

“As do I, remember you,” she replied stiffly.

Elijah murmured, “Be nice, Melissa. He is my brother.”

“I am aware of that, sir. But…you know our history.”

Eskino considered her. “That was more Matthew than me.”

She gave a curt nod and set the tray down before turning to walk out.

Elijah shook his head. “You’ll have to forgive my assistant…she’s still very sensitive about all that.”

Eskino smiled sadly. “I don’t blame her, Eli.” He steepled his fingers beneath his chin. “We gave her a hard time…Matthew…” he trailed off, leaving the sentence unfinished.

Elijah made no comment and took a drink, holding the other one out to his brother.

“Thanks. So, what do you plan to do without Johnny?” Eskino opened his bottle and tipped it to his lips as he asked the question.

His brother shook his head slowly. “That’ll be up to Matthew to figure out.”

The General frowned, knowing that his former T-One would not take kindly to the situation at hand. He leaned back as he set his bottle on his knee a thoughtful expression on his face. Elijah lifted his eyebrows at him, but he just gave a smile and looked toward the large windows.

“I want to know something, Pete.” Elijah finally said, breaking the silence that had formed. Eskino nodded without looking his way. “Whose side are you on?”

The General’s face didn’t change but something flickered in his eyes as he shifted on his seat, still without meeting his brother’s gaze.

Then he said, quietly, “Why ask something you already know the answer to?”

Elijah’s jaw tightened but he didn’t respond as he knew that was as close to an answer he was going to get. However, considering who his brother was, that was no surprise.
    Aightball
    Aightball

Post  Aightball 11/29/2012, 1:03 pm

Poor Johnny ='(. I actually wanted to cry for him as he was being taken away. He didn't do anything wrong, but he's still being punished.

I want to punch Jason...he's being such a douche! *sigh*

I hope things get resolved in Johnny's favor so he can get back to business. He doesn't deserve this.
    the mice endure
    the mice endure

Post  the mice endure 2/19/2013, 11:39 pm

Wow, it's been such a long time since I've updated. I haven't really worked on this story much lately, either. Mainly as I am doing my final work placement for my childcare course. However, once I've completed all the work for that, I'll be able to get back to this story. I love it. Just have my brain filled with children right now lol.
    the mice endure
    the mice endure

Post  the mice endure 2/24/2013, 1:10 am

FINALLY!!!

Near Miss

“Matt, what are you saying?” Brian Snr leaned back on his chair, staring hard at the younger man. Matthew lifted his head to meet his gaze.

The two of them were sitting in Matthew’s basement studio, discussing the situation that had been forced upon them since Johnny’s return to the Astor. It had been almost two weeks now and the guys had been forced to rearrange their sessions at the studio with Eli. Jimmy had gone back to whatever he kept himself busy with. Brian was at the college helping out English Lit students; Zacky was working on the Mayor’s car as there was no other business and Matthew…was here with Papa Gates.

Matthew shook his head slowly, “We can’t move forward without him. And then there’s the added complication of where the General stands in all this.”

The elder male nodded. “Tell me about that?”

“I went and saw him again. Didn’t give anything away. But, he knows more than he lets on.” Matthew sighed. “Eli was with him.”

Brian Snr blinked. “He was?”

“He was. I don’t know what’s doing with that.” He sighed again and stood, pacing the length of the room. The elder man remained silent, watching him. Matt turned to look at him, brow furrowed. But he also said nothing, because what could be said. Johnny was out of the picture, and they had the campaign to think about.

Brian Snr shook his head slowly. “We have a week until you guys have to front to the public.”

Matthew nodded, dragging his fingers through his hair. “I know. I need…” He frowned as a thought dawned on him. “Dan. I need Dan.” He pulled his phone from his back pocket and headed for the stairs. “Come on, I have an idea.”

Dan was heading for the entrance of the barracks when Jason caught him, a deep frown on his face. “Where’re you going, Abell?”

Dan paused, phone clutched tight in his hand. “Family emergency. Why?”

“Got a call from the Astor. You need to get down there.”

“Now?” the stocky male grimaced. “I really need to go.”

Jason shook his head, expression tight. “It’s Seward. He tried to hang himself in his cell.”

“Fuck…” Dan groaned and rubbed at his face, shoving his phone in his back pocket. “How long ago?”

“Just now.” Jason crossed his arms his face drawn. It was obvious to the other male that the new T-One was actually worried. Then again he was human, wasn’t he? And Luke Seward had been his friend too.

“Crap…why me?”

Jason sighed. “Well, I doubt he’d be happy to see me, do you?”

Oh. “Right. I’ll go then.”

“You want me to check on your family?”

Dan shook his head. “It’s not that much of an emergency…my sister can’t get in the house.”

“But, she can wait?”

Dan snorted. “Not the first time.”

Jason laughed slightly. “True enough.”

“And it’s my half day, anyway.”

“True again.” Jason nodded. “Keep me informed.” Dan pulled out his keys and nodded as he headed for the exit where the guard cleared him and buzzed him out. He looked back once to see Jason watching him, brow furrowed in consternation. Shaking his head, he made his way to his truck, not wanting to analyse what the T-One’s expression meant. The past was the past, after all and people could stop being friends without any commentary being made.

As he started up his truck, his phone rang in his pocket. He tugged it out and answered gruffly as he pulled out of the parking bay.

“Abell speaking.” He flicked the indicator as he waved to the guard at the guardhouse. “Shads? What’s up?” He frowned as he steered out onto the access road. “What? Where are you now?” He blinked hard and pulled across to the side of the road. “Say that again? You’re at the Astor?” Dan peered in his rear-view mirror then looked out his window. “It’s not visiting hours…”

He shifted in his seat, engine running. “Where am I? On the way to the Astor…” He grunted. “I’ll tell you when I get there.” He clicked his phone off and spun back onto the road, heading for the Maximum Security Facility.

Matthew sat in Papa Gate’s SUV, glaring across the street at the security gate of the Astor. Brian Snr sat in the passenger seat equally serious.

“How do you want to do this? You’re probably no longer allowed access.” The elder male finally spoke up, breaking the heavy silence. Matthew shook his head.

“Gotta wait for Dan.”

“He’s coming over?”

“Yeah, apparently he was headed here anyway.” Matthew glanced out the window then waved as a truck rolled passed. “And, there he is now. Let’s go.” He got out of the vehicle and jogged across the bitumen. Brian Snr followed, locking up before he joined him near the entrance. Dan brought his truck to a halt next to them and his window slid down.

“Get in.” He jerked his head slightly. They climbed in the back, Matthew leaning into the front when the door was shut.

“What’s the deal?”

Dan looked at his friend. “This isn’t a social call, Shads. Johnny tried to off himself.”

Matthew sat back, blinking hard. “Fuck.”

“Fuck is right.” Dan shook his head as he drove up to the security gate. The guard cleared him without a second glance and he parked just inside the gates. The three of them got out and headed for the entrance.

Matthew and Brian Snr remained silent as Dan signed the register, nodding to the guard as they were buzzed in. The two men were trying to come to terms with what Dan had told them. It wasn’t really surprising that Johnny had made an attempt to end it all, but it was a sobering thought.

The guard that buzzed them in joined them and spoke to Dan in a low voice. He nodded toward Matthew and Brian Snr with a frown.

Dan said, quietly, “They’re with me, officer. They’ll stay outside while I go in if that’ll work for you?”

The guard glanced warily at Matthew. He knew the former T-One, all the guards did; he had come to the Astor many a time. Though it was odd to see him now that he was no longer under The Creed’s employ. But, then again, it wasn’t a huge shock. Considering the past.

“No, that’s fine. Young Seward could do with a friend.”

Dan nodded, glancing at the other two. Matthew frowned before speaking up.

“How bad is he?”

The guard shook his head. “We got to him before he could do any serious damage.”

Dan lifted an eyebrow. “So he didn’t actually?”

“Never got the belt around his neck. Cell mate managed to tackle him to the floor.”

Matthew snorted. “Anything broken?”

The guard sighed. “Just his spirit, poor bastard.” He shook his head. “Kid doesn’t deserve any of this. You didn’t hear this from me, but I’m shocked he’s back here.”

“That makes four of us, then,” Dan muttered. “Can we go see him?”

“Sure. We put him in isolation, for his safety.”

Dan nodded, not looking at Matthew this time, because he knew the bigger male would be mad about that. Though when the former commander spoke up again it wasn’t to refer to that.

“How the hell did he get a belt, officer?” Matthew’s voice was a dangerous growl. The guard blinked at him. He glowered at him. “Wasn’t that removed before he was processed?”

“I will look into that, sir.” The words were automatic but they all registered it.

Matthew flushed and murmured, “I’m just a civilian now.”

The guard nodded apologetically but made no comment, just turned to lead them to the isolation block. He knew it wasn’t necessary to talk about that, it was obvious to all of them that that was the case.

“I have to warn you, he’s not in a communicative mood…”

Dan grunted, and Matthew muttered, “Not surprising.”

The guard halted outside the entrance to the isolation block and looked at the two men. “He’s the only one in here at the moment. So, he’s got free reign of the facilities within.” He glanced through the panel, frowning. “I will let you through and remain out here. There is an emergency call button to the left of the double doors. If for any reason-”

“We know the drill, officer,” Dan interrupted firmly, as he sensed that Matthew was getting impatient behind him; the big male was shifting on his feet.

The guard swiped his card through the scanner and pushed the doors open at the beep. They nodded to him as they entered then waited as he secured the doors behind them.

“Ugh, good guy, but I never thought he’d shut up,” Matthew grumbled once they were well away from the doors. Dan rolled his eyes and scanned the open space.

“Which way?” Brian Snr asked. Matthew pointed down the corridor to where the cells were. There was a light on in the first one and the door was ajar. The three of them looked at each other then quickly made their way across, each of them quietly afraid of what they would find.

Johnny leaned his head back against the edge of his cot, staring up at the ceiling. There was nothing in his mind. He was too numb to process anything. He couldn’t even tell what he was feeling since his failed attempt on his life. If he could even call it that. His ribs hurt, though. Some cellmate that other kid had been. Almost crushed his ribs…

He blinked and then blinked again as the door to his cell was suddenly filled by three recognisable and considerably concerned faces. His mouth worked for a moment, but he couldn’t find his voice and so he just stared as those three faces – bodies even – crammed into the small space.

“Uh…” He couldn’t speak. So, he shook his head and leaned his forehead on his knees.

“Johnny,” Matthew’s gruff, yet kind voice filled his ears and he felt his body start to tremble. Then he felt a warm, strong hand grasp his shoulder and squeeze.

Lifting his head slightly Johnny managed to meet his friend’s steady gaze. But, he still couldn’t speak. There were no words to say; he just continued to blink slowly. He vaguely registered Dan and Papa Gates, but all his focus was on the man who was crouched down beside him.

Matthew looked more serious than he’d ever seen him and Johnny knew, somehow, that the former commander was going to do everything within his power to resolve this situation. He didn’t know how he was going to do it, or even how he knew that. He just knew.

Matthew was going to change everything. For better or for worse.

Aightball
    Aightball

Post  Aightball 2/24/2013, 8:43 am

Poor Johnny...I understand his thinking but it still makes me sad. He shouldn't even be in that prison =(. I wonder where things are going to stand now as far as the campaign and everything else going on...I hope things turn out for the best.
    the mice endure
    the mice endure

Post  the mice endure 6/15/2013, 12:32 am

It's been forever since I've updated...just under four months...and I apologise, but what with my study and all...I've been distracted.  But, finally, here it is.  The next chapter.

Enjoy

White Rabbits

Elijah stood in the doorway of his office and frowned at his brother who was seated at his desk.

“Peter?”

Eskino glanced up from the file he was editing on the desktop. “Hmmm?”

“What are you doing here?” the former rocker was bemused. The General gave a wan smile and turned the screen around.

“I’m buying your boys some time.”

Elijah leaned in to read the letter that took up most of the screen space. It detailed the state of Jonathan Seward’s mental health…

Eli blinked hard.

“Wow.” He shook his head. “Will your word be enough, though?”

Eskino chuckled. “Doctor James gladly gave of his services.”

Eli shook his head again. “But…I thought…”

The General looked at his brother. “I was in the band, Eli. It was hard on me too. They were my best friends, too.” There was an emotion in his voice that the old rocker had not heard in a very long time. He couldn’t put words to it, but he recognised it and it made his own heart ache.

“Man…” He walked across to take the seat opposite the bigger male. “We had some good times back then.”

Eskino smiled a sad, wistful smile. “Though I wasn’t very good…”

Elijah laughed, harshness to the sound. “You were dedicated. I’ll give you that.”

The General nodded, glancing at the computer screen. “That hasn’t changed.” He turned the screen back to himself. “Anyway, going to send this, then maybe you and I need to go see how the boys are doing?”

Elijah nodded. “I was going to call you about that.” He crossed his arms. “They’re here.”

Eskino looked at him. “Using your studio?” He frowned slightly. “I had no idea…”

His brother chuckled, as he found it amusing that the General would not have figured that out. “Security is tight here.”

Eskino smiled as he nodded to the computer. “Even your system here is impenetrable.” Elijah just laughed some more as he checked his watch.

“I’ll let you finish up, come meet me out the front in five.”

“Wow, you make me look fucking sane, Shads. How in the Hell did you manage to pull that off?”

The five young men were seated in Elijah’s studio, going through their final rehearsal before the official launch of Papa Gates’ main campaign. They sounded alright, considering only three of them had any official musical background. Matthew had found his inner vocalist, though, which was a good thing. But, their focus wasn’t on the music at that moment in time. They were all staring at the former commander who was leaning back against the wall, Johnny next to him.

It was Jimmy who had spoken up. But the others were all thinking along the same lines. The fact that their young friend was here with them was nothing short of amazing, considering what he had been charged with.

Matthew snorted. “Two words, Jimmy: Insanity clause.”

Jimmy cocked an eyebrow. “You saying Christ’s crazy?”

“I did try to hang myself,” the younger man pointed out, though he too was surprised at what Matthew had been able to do.

Zacky scoffed, shaking his head. “Hear you didn’t even get close.” Johnny flipped him off. The mechanic just rolled his eyes in response. “Well, it’s true.”

“It doesn’t even matter,” the younger male grumbled.

Matthew backed him up, glaring at Zacky. “He’s here, that’s all that counts.”

“Of course,” Zacky sighed. “I’m just worried.”

“You’re always fucking worried,” Brian muttered. His friend glared at him. Jimmy shifted so he was next to him and poked his side. Zacky shot him an annoyed look then turned his eyes back on Matthew.

“When Berry finds out…” The anxiety in his voice was clear.

Matt sighed, “Yeah, we’ll get to that when it comes.” He tilted his head then scratched at his cheek. “There’s something else I should mention.” They all raised their eyebrows at him. He rolled his neck then said, carefully assessing their reactions as he did so, “Eskino paid for the assessment.”

Zacky sat forward, staring hard at his friend. “You gotta be shitting me.”

“Nope. Not shitting you.” Matthew gave him look for look. “Wrote a letter, going to get Dr James to sign it. It’s a done thing.”

The mechanic shook his head an incredulous expression on his face. "Wow. Who'd have thought..."

The door creaked open at that moment. The five men turned then and they stared as Elijah walked in with the General.

"What the Hell?" Zacky exclaimed.

They all stood, grunts of disbelief filling the room. Elijah held up his hands in an attempt to placate them.

But, Zacky glowered at him and practically snarled, “What is he doing here?”

The General, wisely, kept his lips sealed, allowing his brother to diffuse the situation. He could sense their distrust and he wasn’t one to blame them. They believed he was at fault for Matthew’s situation and they also believed he was the bad guy. And, he knew it wasn’t up to him to prove that they were wrong. At least, not until they knew the truth.

Elijah sighed as he looked at each one of them, expression pained. “I know you don’t trust my brother…”

“That’s an understatement,” Zacky muttered. Jimmy actually elbowed him. The mechanic gave him a disgruntled look but pressed his lips together and let Elijah continue.

“But, you have to realise, he understands your position more than most.”

Brian lifted his eyebrows and snorted. “Really?”

Elijah nodded slowly as he crossed his arms. Brian, Jimmy and Zacky shared hard looks at each other, disbelief written all over their faces. Matthew remained detached and Johnny just stared at his feet. Silence filled the room for several long moments then the elder male spoke up again.

“I am not sure what you’ve been told, but before Peter became the General of the Creed…before he even joined…he was our first drummer.” Elijah worked his jaw for a moment, his tone heavy. “He was…dedicated to his art.”

“Not that I was any good at it,” Eskino commented, drily, the first he'd spoken since entering the room.

His brother rolled his eyes.

“You were just happy to play. And the guys appreciated your work ethic.”

“True enough," Eskino agreed.

Zacky grimaced and said, "So, let me get this straight. Since he was in your band years ago, we should trust him now?"

Elijah sighed. "Put like that, I know it's a stretch." He leaned against the sound desk. "I'm not asking you to accept what I'm telling you. I'm sure you want real proof."

Matthew said in a hard voice, "I've already given them that." He crossed his arms in a defensive gesture. Zacky snorted at that.

"He could've done that for his own benefit."

Matthew glowered at the mechanic. "And risk his position for personal gain?"

Eskino frowned, glancing at Johnny who looked uncomfortable, then back at the other men. "I did what I thought was right." His statement was enough to halt the conversation.

Zacky continued to glare sullenly anywhere but at the General, evidence that he didn’t believe the General in the slightest. Brian shook his head and turned back to the notes on the table next to him. Jimmy jumped up and went to the drum kit, not wanting to get drawn into the conflict. Johnny, with one eye on the General, grabbed his bass and fiddled with the tuning pegs.

Matthew sighed and cast an almost apologetic look towards Elijah.

The elder male shook his head and said in a low voice, "I don't blame them, Matt..."

Eskino added, "They're too used to me being against all this." He glanced at his brother, then back at Matthew, brow furrowed in thought. The finally he murmured, "We will leave you to get on. Elijah will keep me informed." There was slight hesitation at his final words.

Matt just nodded in acknowledgment before he joined his friends, leaving the elder men to exit the studio, or not, as they wished.
    Aightball
    Aightball

Post  Aightball 6/15/2013, 1:00 am

Well, isn't this an interesting turn of events? I don't trust the General as far as I can throw him...I think he's going to use his brother's trust against our boys. I hope to be proven wrong, but we all know how this guy has been this entire time. I don't trust him.
    the mice endure
    the mice endure

Post  the mice endure 7/5/2013, 7:43 pm

And, so...here it is Smile Please be honest about this chapter, I ruminated on it for ages. I believe it says what it needs to. Smile Can't give everything away, eh Wink

Purple

Jason stood at the boundary of Government House. The old building about a kilometre out of town had been commandeered by Brian Sr’s campaign team and was buzzing with activity. They were preparing for the big reveal of his campaign. Public speculation had reached a high in the months leading up to it and a large crowd was already gathered out the front, and hence the large security presence.

The Creed was out in force alongside the New Huntington Police. Barricades were set up around the perimeter, which was where Jason was watching the proceedings.

At the opposite end of the grounds, Dan was in his truck, waiting. Matthew and the others were on their way. They weren’t coming together for security reasons. But, the first to pull up next to the soldier’s truck was not one of the five guys. At the light tap on his side window, Dan rolled it down and raised his eyebrows.

"Daniel?" Valary was anxious, pupils slightly dilated, breath quickening. He propped his arm against the door and looked at her.

"Yeah?"

She glanced over her shoulder then back at him. “Papa Gates told me to meet Matt here. What’s going on?"

"You don’t know?" That didn’t really surprise Dan; Matthew was one to hold his cards close to his chest, even from his wife. Val shook her head, brow creased. Dan sighed and directed his gaze out through the windscreen. “Papa Gates’ campaign requires a bit of…a boost." He glanced sideways at her, observing her reaction.

She frowned, and said, “Okay…has it to do with the…band thing?"

Dan blinked, a little shocked. “So, you do know?"

Val gave a grim smile. “Only what Mattie’s told me." The soldier nodded to acknowledge that fact and turned his face back to the windscreen. He narrowed his eyes then glanced at her again. “Get in back. The Creed is out there and if I was a betting man I’d say Johnston will be poking around…"

Valary blinked at his statement but opened the back door and climbed up into the truck without argument. Dan shot her a warm smile then returned to his watching and waiting.

"What do you think that is?" Jimmy was staring at a plate that was on the table in front of him. Brian looked over from where he was applying eyeliner.

"What?"

His friend pointed at the offending item. “That."

Matthew walked passed and said, drily, “Foie gras."

"What the fuck is foie gras?" Jimmy asked as he glowered at the food. “I mean…who eats this shit?" He poked it with his finger. Matthew paused as he pulled a bandana from his bag.

"No one now you’ve put your fingers in it."

"It’s not foie gras, it’s pâté," Zacky commented as he slouched onto a chair. Jimmy blinked and they all stared at the mechanic. “What? It’s not like Papa Gates could afford foie gras."

Jimmy snorted. “And you know this how?"

Zacky just shrugged as he leaned down to open the guitar case at his feet. Resting inside was a custom made Schechter that had the numbers 6661 printed on it. The significance of the numbering wasn’t lost on him, but he didn’t want to think on it too hard, because he didn’t want it to be true… He stared at the instrument for a long while. The burnished red of the body reminded him of blood, which was kind of disturbing. He shook his head at that thought, but continued to stare at the guitar.

Matthew sat next to him as he carefully wrapped a bandana around his head. "It’s yours." He smiled slightly. “PG especially commissioned it."

The mechanic frowned. “He shouldn’t have…I mean…I’d have been happy just using one from Eli’s studio."

"Dude, that won’t do," Brian retorted. “You need your own."

"Well, what if I don’t want it?" Zacky was disgruntled; it was obvious he was still not a hundred percent in the game. Still reluctant to participate fully. Even with the five of them in the ‘war room’, as Jimmy had coined the dressing room they were assigned, he was anticipating the worst. And so was being antagonistic.

The door opened at that moment and Zacky stiffened at the sound his head whipping toward it. Val walked in and held up her hands in a gesture of surrender.

"Relax, Zack. It’s me."

Matthew slid his Aviators on to cover his eyes and smiled softly at his wife. “He’s anxious."

She nodded. “I’m not surprised. I would be, too." She moved to stand by her husband; he wrapped an arm around her waist and she leaned into him. They looked at each other, eyes meeting for a split second before they looked away both focussing on the rest of the guys.

Jimmy noticed the look that passed between them and raised his eyebrows at Matthew. The other male lifted his own in return.

"What?" he mouthed.

Jimmy stage-whispered, “How was your baby holiday?"

"My what?" Matthew’s expression changed to one of confusion. Before his friend could reply though, Melissa walked in, holding a clipboard and announced that it was time to begin. Val tugged on Matt’s arm. He sighed and made eyes at his friend before taking a deep breath and turning toward the door.

“Ladies and gentlemen, Brian Haner Sr.” Melissa smiled at the crowd that had gathered at the front of Government House. A large stage was set-up on the steps of the building where the campaign was being lead from. The crowd were expectant, unsure, but definitely wanting to know what the only candidate who was running against the current mayor had to say.

Brian Sr stepped up to the microphone and leaned against the lectern, scanning the crowd. “Good morning, friends…” He paused and shook his head. “This is all wrong. I am not this.” He stepped away from the stand and walked down the steps and sat down carefully. “That’s better…I feel more comfortable here.”

What is he doing?” Zacky leaned over and whispered to Matthew. The bigger male shushed him, shaking his head. The five of them stood behind a large purple curtain – ‘purple, seriously, what is this, the royal show?’ Jimmy’s words – waiting for their cue.

Tensions were high; none of the five were willing to speak to the other as they were anxious to get the whole thing over and done with. Matthew was the most on edge, his senses tingling as he watched the crowd.

Dan appeared behind him and leaned up to whisper in his ear; Matthew frowned and turned his head to listen to his friend.

"What?"

"JB's out there..."

Matt's jaw tightened and he curled his right hand in a fist. "The Creed would be out."

Dan murmured, "What do you want to do about it?" He had his hands dug deep in his pockets and he was as antsy as the bigger male was.

Matthew shook his head. "Just watch them." He adjusted the earpiece in his left ear. "Keep me informed."

Dan nodded and slipped away again just as Brian Sr was wrapping up with his speech.

"Commander?"

Jason looked up from the coffee he was stirring. He was having a five minute breather, in the Creed's makeshift headquarters, giving himself time to think about what he had heard. Brian Haner Sr was looking to change the law in some areas and that was somewhat troubling.

"Yes?" He raised an eyebrow at the soldier who leaned through the doorway into the command centre. The small building was soundproofed so that the team could carry out briefings or other meetings without being disrupted.

"You're going to want to see this."

Jason frowned. "Could you give me five?"

The soldier shook his head. "This can't wait, Sir.” He hesitated. Jason looked expectantly at him. “It's Shadows..."

The T-One's eyebrows shot up, surprise evident on his face. "He's here?"

"In a manner of speaking."

Jason grimaced, setting his mug down as he headed for the door, and checked his firearm. "Show me."

The soldier led him out of the building. As soon as they stepped out it was immediately apparent what the problem was.

Pounding bass filled the air and went straight through Jason's body, setting his heart to race in his chest. He had to stifle the urge to curse and instead straightened his back and strode toward the stage to investigate. The sight that met his eyes sent a chill up his spine as he stopped in place, disbelief spreading across his face.

He blinked several times and just stood, staring across the crowd as a single thought passed his mind.

They were all royally screwed.

Aightball
    Aightball

Post  Aightball 7/9/2013, 12:10 pm

NICE!

I liked this chapter a lot. I think it set the tone for the rest of the story, showing us that the fight has only just begun. And I think PG is going to win and come out on top, changing the laws. But I liked the tension in this chapter, which was almost palpable, at least to me.
    the mice endure
    the mice endure

Post  the mice endure 7/21/2013, 2:48 pm

But, don't you think that seems all too easy? Wink
    the mice endure
    the mice endure

Post  the mice endure 8/17/2013, 2:45 am

Wow, an update already...enjoy.

The right thing

Elliott Johnston grimaced as he watched the live telecast. The phones were going non-stop in the background but he was focused on the screen.

“Sir?”

He glanced over at his secretary who was holding out one of the phones. “What?”

“It’s the Commander.”

Elliott motioned for the phone as he kept his gaze glued to the tv. “Commander?” He frowned as he listened to Jason’s strained words. “Pardon?” He turned away from the television and listened hard. “He what?” He started to pace the room. “Do what you need to, Commander. You have my full support.” He smiled, tight lipped, nodding as he listened. “Keep me informed. Right.”

He set the earpiece back in its cradle and returned his focus to the television, brow furrowed as he pondered the new information and what it was going to mean for them all.

“Fuck. Go! Go!”

Jimmy jumped off the stage and bolted through the crowd, heading for Dan’s truck. Johnny, Brian and Zacky were close behind him. They reached the truck as the Creed were spreading through the crowd, moving them on, which was easier said than done. Most of them were in shock. Just the whole reveal was too much for them. When Matthew, Jimmy, Brian Jr, Zacky and Johnny had hit the stage with their instruments and the first drum beats had echoed across the front of the Government House…the crowd was stunned into silence.

Meanwhile, on the stage, Matthew remained where he was, staring at Jason who stood several feet from him. The TaskerOne had his radio to his ear, speaking rapidly as he stalked toward the former Commander. Matthew stood his ground, waiting.

“What the Hell is this?” Jason came to a stop a hairsbreadth away from the bigger male. His breath was ragged, and the shock was still evident in his eyes. Matthew just cocked an eyebrow, the microphone held relaxed by his side, as he remained silent.

Jason shook his head his hand a fist on his radio. “You. You and…them…what?”

The words wouldn’t come and that didn’t surprise Matthew in the slightest. He still waited. He wasn’t going to put words in his former friend’s mouth.

It took almost a full minute, but the new T-One finally managed to compose himself and his gaze hardened as he spoke again.

“This is treason.”

Matthew’s lips twitched slightly. “Thanks for pointing that out.”

Jason scowled. “This isn’t a joke, Shads. I should arrest you.”

He took a step forward, lifting his radio to his lips. Matthew moved faster than either of them thought was possible and next thing, using his big body, he pushed Jason back against one of the large speakers as the radio skittered across the stage away from them.

“Matthew!” The fury in Jason’s voice was evident, but also a hint of fear as his breath hitched, eyes wide in response. Matthew held him there but didn’t speak for what felt a long time. Then he pulled back, glaring at him.

“You won’t. At least not until you’re sure this isn’t just a one-time thing.”

Jason’s brow furrowed as he pulled himself together. “I would hope you wouldn’t be that stupid, Matt.”

Matthew chuckled, coldly. “My intelligence has nothing to do with any of this.”

The T-One shook his head some more. “Matthew, don’t make me come after you.”

The former soldier laughed, a hard sound. “Bit late for that.” He stepped away, glancing toward Dan’s truck then returning the full force of his stare on Jason. “Do what you have to, Commander.” His tone held an ominous edge. “But, I’m not some wet-behind-the-ears kid. Just remember that.”

Jason stiffened, sensing the threat that laced his words. “I’m well aware of that.”

Matthew nodded then placed the microphone down on the ground in front of him before he slowly, deliberately turned and walked through the crowd.

Jimmy yelled to him from the open window of Dan’s truck, “Get in, asshole!”

Matthew smiled grimly as he jogged the rest of the way, ignoring the confused stares of the crowd as he jumped in the passenger side door. It slammed behind him and Dan gunned the engine, spinning the wheel before tearing across the lawn, bumping over the curb.

Jason stood where he was, watching them leave. Which really wasn’t the right thing to do. He knew he should go after them, but he was rooted to the spot, a mix of shock, fury and fear warring in his mind. Shock at what had just happened, fury that they would even try it. The fear was unexpected, though. But, then again it made sense. No matter the rift between him and Matthew…he still cared. And the fear was for him. Considering that he was the former TaskerOne if he was caught and charged, the death penalty would be the only sentence on the table. And no matter the lingering resentment between them, he would never wish that on anyone.

“Commander?” One of his men stood close, brow furrowed. He glanced sideways at him, shaking his head.

“Let them go.” He didn’t voice what was going through his mind, keeping his tone curt. The soldier nodded and turned to leave. Jason moved to retrieve his radio and checked it for damage. Then he spoke into it, ordering his men to stand down. He was going to have to figure out what to do next, and he couldn’t do that out in the field.

Sighing, he made his way back to the makeshift HQ. This was going to be a difficult situation to handle, and he knew he had to get it right, but first things first. Matthew was right, he had to make sure this was more than a one-time thing. He knew his friend though, or at least he thought he had. But, there was one thing that was for certain, Matthew Sanders never did anything by halves. This band would be an all or nothing thing. And that was not a happy thought.

“That was fucking amazing!” Brian was grinning madly as Dan sped along Main Street trying to put as much distance between them and Government House as fast as he could.

“Oh. My. God.” Jimmy spluttered, laughter in his tone. “I thought we were going to get shot!”

“That was madness…” Johnny said in quieter tones.

Jimmy chortled wriggling on his bottom as he leaned out the window again and literally hollered, “I want to do it again!”

“I feel sick…”

Matthew closed his eyes as he slouched down in his seat, the thrum of the tyres the only thing he really wanted to listen to. His friends’ voices were way too loud in his head. Zacky must’ve agreed with him because he was the one who had made the ‘I feel sick’ comment. He had his head against the head rest and looked ashen. Matthew could see this through the one eye he slit open at his friend’s words.

“They won’t come after us, now,” he murmured, reassuringly. The mechanic just rolled his eyes then shifted his gaze out at the landscape passing them.

After a moment, he spoke up, voice low. “That was crazy.”

Matthew’s lips twitched, “You enjoyed it.”

Zacky snorted, “While it lasted.” The plea in his voice was evident. He didn’t want to do it again.

Matthew sighed, “The campaign isn’t over.”

The mechanic blanched. “You mean we have to do that again?”

“You enjoyed it.” This time the former Commander’s tone was more forceful.

“Not enough to want to risk my life.”

Matthew sighed. “I know the risk we’re taking.”

“The Creed know,” Zacky’s voice was strained. “They’ll come after us.”

“Not yet. Jason will want to see how far we’re willing to take this.” Matthew slid his hand inside his jacket and brushed his fingers absently over the metal of his handgun. The mechanic noticed his movement and raised his eyebrows.

“You strapped?”

Matthew nodded, glancing out the window again, brow drawn tight. Zacky grimaced then shifted a little as Jimmy nudged his shoulder from the side.

“What?”

Jimmy chuckled, “You killed it, Vengeance.”

“What?”

“Dude, I didn’t know you could play that well,” Brian said from the front seat. He shifted sideways to look back at them. Johnny was squeezed in between him and Dan in the front and he looked back over the front seat as well.

Dan who had been driving silently, laughed low as Johnny muttered, “Must be compensating for his bad auto-skills.”

Zacky grumbled in response not wanting to be drawn into their banter. He was afraid that if he let that happen it would cause him to let his guard down and he was afraid of what the consequences’ would be if he did. Because somebody had to be the responsible one…

“Zack, relax,” Matthew’s calm voice cut through the tension in his mind. “It’s gonna be cool.”

Zacky forced a smile onto his face. “Sure. As long as we stay one step ahead of the Creed.”

Matthew just smirked an edge to the expression and returned to staring out the window. His friend made a disgruntled sound in the back of his throat.

Matt’s eyebrow lifted slightly. “Talk.”

Zacky sighed as he crossed his arms. “I’m scared, okay?”

“That’s it?” There was no inflection in Matthew’s tone.

“That’s it.” Zacky waited for Matt to make some comment about not letting anything happen or some shit like that. But, the former Commander surprised him.

“Me too.” He kept his gaze fixed on the houses outside the vehicle, jaw set hard. “I’m aware this could go to Hell, why do you think I have this on me?” Zacky looked over as Matthew opened his jacket. His Beretta was tucked into the inside pocket, solid and ready.

Zacky blinked once. “Oh.”

Matthew still didn’t move his head but kept talking in a quiet voice; the others were too busy talking about the campaign to hear him. “We’re doing the right thing, or at least I keep telling myself that.” He pulled his jacket shut and rested his hands on his knees, rubbing them slowly. “This could change everything…”

Zacky ducked his head down as the ghost of a smile played across his face. “That would be worth it…”

Matthew squared his shoulders and nodded. “And, so…we’ll keep doing this.”

Zacky let the conversation end there for the moment, but as Dan slowed at some lights, he shifted to look at his friend again.

“What’re you going to say to Val?”

Matthew shook his head just as Brian joined their conversation. “You’re worried about Val? At least she knows something…”

Zacky rolled his eyes. “Don’t tell me. You never said a word to Chelle?”

“What was I meant to say?” Brian shrugged. “Anyway, she went outta of town for work, gets back tonight, actually.”

“Nice excuse,” Matthew scoffed. Then he glanced at the mechanic. “Val knows everything now. There was no point in not telling her.” He shot a look at Jimmy who was now listening as well. “Our baby holiday was mostly us talking about all this.”

Jimmy nodded, his expression uncharacteristically sombre. “That puts her at a lot of risk, though.”

“I know,” Matthew said, flatly. “But, it had to be said.” He nodded to Brian. “You really should talk to Michelle. You normally tell her everything.”

Brian chuckled. “True enough.” He turned back to look out the windscreen as Dan turned into Elijah’s driveway. “Anyway, guess we should debrief first…”

Matthew looked up toward the front of the house and nodded, “Eli will want to know how things went.”

Dan parked the truck next to Matt’s bike which was still there from hours earlier. He turned in his seat to look back at him.

“How long we staying here, Shads?”

Matthew unbuckled his seatbelt, placing his hand on the door handle and said, coldly, “The Creed don’t know about this place.” Which really wasn’t an answer. But it would have to do.

The soldier nodded, ignoring his friend’s tone. “Right. Then let’s get inside.” The others all agreed silently.

And so the six of them, their conversations drying up, climbed out of the truck and headed for the house where they knew Elijah and Melissa would be waiting for them in anticipation.
    Aightball
    Aightball

Post  Aightball 8/17/2013, 3:10 am

Holy shit! Thought I wanted to sma ZV...of course Matt is packing, you idiot!

But man...I want to see where this goes next! Jason's got some balls not to arrest them all on the spot, esp. Matt. I'm proud of Jason but I don't think he can keep it up. I really don't. I want him to prove me wrong...I don't think he can.
    the mice endure
    the mice endure

Post  the mice endure 9/7/2013, 12:23 pm

And, so...I have an update Very Happy

Code Red

“It was surreal, I gotta tell you, Chelle.”

Brian had his arms wrapped around his fiancée’s waist; they were in bed early just enjoying each other’s company after being apart for a while. Michelle had been away on business, she worked as a beauty consultant in several towns outside of New Huntington.

Brian had left the guys after they’d talked to Elijah about the campaign. Even though they tried to get him to stay. He’d insisted on leaving since he wanted to pick Michelle up from the train station. And then he tried telling Matt he should go home to Val…that hadn’t gone down so well…

Michelle tilted her head to look up at him. He kissed her softly on the lips. Then pulled his head back to look at her.

She smiled. “What’d your dad think?”

Brian laughed, lightly. “He was raving about it when he called earlier. Thought it would make a huge difference to the campaign.” He touched her face with the tips of his fingers before letting his hand fall to the side. “I agree with him.”

Michelle nodded as she rested her cheek against his chest, snuggling into him. “How’d my sister take it?”

A faint frown ghosted across his face as he remembered Valary’s reaction; he’d only heard about it second hand, but. “She was stunned. Matt told me afterward that she couldn’t speak.” He shook his head slowly. “If I’d been her…” He sighed and nuzzled into Michelle’s hair. She shifted and cuddled into him. He smiled and closed his eyes letting that thought drift away as he fell asleep.

The rest of the guys were too keyed up to sleep and they couldn’t go home; too much risk. So, they stayed holed up in Eli’s studio. Drinks were cracked open, food passed around and soft classical – yes, classical – music was playing in the background. Oddly congruent to the mood in the room.

The four young men were spread around the room each deep in their own thoughts.

Johnny, seated on a rolling stool, shut his eyes as he rested his forehead against the cool surface of his beer bottle. The images that were playing on the back of his eyelids were so vivid that it was almost as if he were reliving the moment all over again. A movie on repeat. The music was a soundtrack in his head; his own bass tones holding it all together. He shivered at the memory…

Matthew was sitting silently next to him a Jack clutched tightly between his big palms a deep expression of concentration on his face. Jason was foremost in his mind; the shock and anger on his face the biggest factor. The fear, though… Matthew couldn’t fathom it.

Jimmy was lying on the floor newspaper open on his stomach as he muttered under his breath to himself – “Boring…boring…call that news? Boring…crap…shit...”

Zacky was seated next to him phone in hand, noodling about on some social media site, brow furrowed darkly.

“What’re you doing?” Jimmy finally murmured, as he stopped talking to himself. Zacky glanced up.

“What?”

Jimmy rolled his eyes and nodded to the phone. “Why are you on Twitter?” The mechanic just rolled his eyes and returned his gaze to the screen.

“Zacky…” Jimmy whined. Zacky shook his head. Johnny opened his eyes and looked over at them.

“Is there anything on Papa Gates’ campaign?”

Zacky snorted. “It’s the only thing worth talking about, according to social media.”

“Yeah?” Matthew surfaced from his silent meditation as he tipped his bottle to his mouth. His friend nodded as a dry smirk flickered across his lips.

“People are stunned. It’s crazy shit.” He held up his phone to show one of the Tweets on the screen. “They’re all pretty much like this… ‘Those guys are crazy! And wasn’t that the fucking T-One?? #extone #crazy #creedwillshitonthat #election09

Matthew frowned. “The Creed…” his voice trailed off as he rubbed at his knee.

His cell phone rang then, jarring everyone else out of the quiet. He answered with a frown, which deepened when he realised who it was.

“Hey, hun…we’re still…yeah…I won’t be home for a while…I know. I’m sorry. Just…promise me one thing? Don’t let Johnston get to you.” He closed his eyes for a moment, lines drawn tight around them as his fingers gripped his phone hard. “Promise me.” He exhaled, a rough sound and nodded at whatever Val had said on the other end of the line. Then he clicked his phone off, tossing it on the sound desk.

“Shads?” Zacky raised his eyebrows at his friend.

Matthew shook his head slowly. “She has to go back to work.” His mind was churning now, a million miles a minute, thinking on what he’d just told his wife. Johnston…

“Worried?” the mechanic murmured, carefully.

Matthew said, distractedly, “I’d be a fool not to be.”

“Do you think Elliott would actually do anything?” Zacky asked, sounding surprised by the notion, not noticing that his friend wasn’t really paying attention. Matthew shrugged as he leaned his head back and rubbed his knee more. “Matt?”

“Wouldn’t put it passed him.”

Zacky shook his head expression strained. “Is there anything you can do?”

The former commander snorted, humourlessly as he stood and headed for the door, not answering his friend. The others all stopped what they were doing and jerked their heads in his direction.

“Where’re you going?” Jimmy asked, speaking everyone’s mind. Matthew paused in the doorway as he glanced back at them. Emotions flitted across his face then settled as his gaze hardened.

“I’ll be back soon,” he said before stalking out the door.

Jimmy grimaced and muttered, “That’s not what I asked…”

Zacky rolled his eyes in an empathetic gesture before he went back to his phone. Johnny slouched down further on his seat and closed his eyes again. Jimmy sighed and flicked to the comic section of the paper and settled down to wait.

Jason stood in the Creed’s visitors’ parking lot his gaze fixed on the front of the building that was his work place. Had been for so many years, seven years to be exact, for him at least…longer for his former friend.

He’d never imagined that things would change the way they had. Not so dramatically. The vision was always that one day Shadows would take over from Eskino as the General…well until all this started happening…

“Berry.”

He stiffened at the voice that came from behind him. He didn’t turn though as he realised he’d been so absorbed in his own thoughts he’d never heard his bike pull up next to him. Jaw clenching, he remained silent as he waited. He wasn’t going to be the one to say the first word.

“Jason,” Matthew’s voice was tight. “We need to talk.”

“Do we?” Jason kept his tone empty of emotion. He couldn’t afford to let his guard down. It was hard enough knowing what his friend was doing; knowing what he had to do because of it. Matthew sighed as soft as a whisper.

“You need to know why I’m doing this.”

Jason gritted his teeth. “I don’t want to know.”

“Jason.”

“No!” Jason growled. “Do not tell me.” He finally turned to face his old friend. It was hard, so very hard but he managed to look him in the eyes as he repeated with as much conviction as possible, “Don’t tell me. I don’t want to know.”

Matthew’s brow furrowed as he slid his shades down his nose and stared back at him. “You sure ‘bout that, Commander?” There was a wry edge to the honorific. Jason glared back at him. Matthew’s lip twitched. “Struck a nerve, did I?”

Jason crossed his arms over his chest and gripped his biceps. “You need to leave.”

“Or what?” Matthew lifted an eyebrow. The challenge was there now. Jason sensed it. He felt that he was walking a knife’s edge and either way he looked would end in someone getting hurt. He didn’t want that…

The T-One straightened his back, lifting his chin as he spoke in as formal a tone as he could, distancing himself from any notion of sentimentality. “You need to leave before I am forced to have you arrested.”

Matthew’s features twisted in disbelief then his lip curled slightly as he sneered, “This is the second time you’ve failed to do your duty. I would’ve arrested me at the campaign. No hesitation.”

Jason snorted. “You said I wouldn’t until I was sure.”

Matthew rolled his eyes. “You know me well enough to know that wasn’t a once off, Jason.”

“Do I?” Jason bit out. “I never suspected this of you in the first place. Out of all of us, you were always voted the most likely to become General if Eskino bowed out.”

The former Commander blinked, surprised but only for a moment. Though, long enough for Jason to catch it.

“You didn’t think that, Shads?”

Matthew shifted his weight as he slid his shades back to cover his eyes, masking his expression. “No. I thought that was where I was headed.” His voice was cold. Obviously, that was not a conversation he wanted to follow through. So, Jason dropped it.

“You really should go.”

Matthew narrowed his eyes at him. “You let me go, you won’t get another chance to stop us.”

Jason’s body stiffened at his statement. “We’ll see. I’d watch myself if I were you.”

The bigger male chuckled as he swung his leg over the seat of his bike and settled down on it. “One more thing, Jason.”

The Commander tilted his head slightly, acknowledging that he was prepared to listen.

“How much influence does Johnston have over The Creed?” Matthew sounded genuinely curious. That unsettled Jason. And the thing was, he wasn’t actually sure of the answer himself. He shook his head slowly.

“I’m not at liberty to say.” I don’t even fucking know…

Matthew nodded as if that were the response he expected. He started up his bike but sat for a moment longer, frowning over his shades. Jason cocked an eyebrow at him. He shook his head and laughed slightly.

“Be seeing you.”

Jason scowled at him. He laughed more as he backed out of the spot and gunned the engine, speeding out of the lot.

Elliott stood in the General’s office, looking out the window and narrowed his eyes as he observed the tense standoff between Berry and Shadows. He turned to the soldier who was standing in the doorway.

“Put out a code red. I want Shadows followed when he leaves.” He grimaced. “And get the Commander up here. Now.”

The soldier saluted and left as Elliott turned in time to see Shadows gunning it out of the parking lot. A cold smile pulled at the corner of his mouth as he saw the unmarked vehicle that pulled out to follow him.

“Mayor Johnston?” There was surprise in the voice that came from the doorway.

The Mayor turned his head, giving the Commander his profile. “Commander.”

“You wanted to see me.”

Elliott nodded and looked calmly at the young commander. “You’re to pull the trigger on Shadows and his friends.”

Jason paled but only slightly as he set his jaw, steeling his mind. “You have information on their whereabouts, sir?”

“I’ve already got someone following Shadows. You will need to coordinate with him.”

Jason saluted stiffly then turned on his heel to do as he was commanded. Elliott watched him go then returned to the window to wait.

“Elijah!”

Eli was in his study and frowned when he heard Melissa’s urgent voice coming down the hall. She burst through the door, phone in hand.

“What is it?” He remained calm even though he could see how anxious she was. Which was unusual in itself. She was the ice woman. Nothing ever bothered her.

Melissa paused for breath. “It’s your…brother.” She thrust the phone at him. He raised his eyes at the abruptness of her actions; however, he took it without a word to her and held it up to his ear.

“Peter?” His eyes widened slightly as he listened and he grabbed hold of the edge of his desk, hard. “Code red!? Are you certain?” He closed his eyes and almost growled. “Damn it all to Hell, Pete.”

Melissa stepped forward and opened her mouth, looking even more anxious. He held up one finger, shaking his head as he continued to speak to his brother.

“What do I do?” Consternation creased his brow. “Oh. You really think they’ll get away?” That thought surprised him. He knew how efficient The Creed was when pursuing fugitives; because that was technically what Matthew and his friends were.

His brother was attempting to reassure him… “I know. I know. But, his friends…” Elijah sighed. “He can’t protect them on his own. Not against the whole Creed.” He slammed his fist down on the desk. “No! Dammit! You what?” He groaned at something Eskino said. “No. You can’t do that. You’re still the General. Even if you took yourself off the case.”

He stood, agitated. Melissa watched as he began to pace the floor. He didn’t say another word, his brother obviously steering the rest of the conversation. After several more minutes he hung up and turned to look at his assistant. She straightened.

“Sir?”

He frowned at her. “Make the call.”

“The call?” Her voice almost squeaked on the word. Elijah’s eyes took on a steely cast.

“Make the call.”

Melissa stared at him for a long moment, gauging how serious he was. He glared at her.

“For Christ’s sake. Make the goddamned call!”

She swallowed hard, but nodded and turned to stride out of the office. Elijah watched her go, hoping fervently that he’d made the right decision. If he hadn’t, it didn’t bear thinking.
    Aightball
    Aightball

Post  Aightball 9/7/2013, 12:44 pm

Holy shit...I have a feeling, though, that Matt's safe. I don't know why, but I do. With the General and Eli being brothers, the General's loyalties are going to come into question soon. And I don't think our boys are going to be sacrificed quite that quickly.
    the mice endure
    the mice endure

Post  the mice endure 9/22/2013, 2:08 pm

Hmmm we'll see, eh? Thanks, Kelly Very Happy

Exodus

Zacky was ashen faced as he set his phone down in front of him. The others crowded around him. Dan, who had just arrived, was crouched to his left features drawn.

“What did Shads say?”

Zacky cleared his throat before answering, not trusting his voice. “He’s got a tail. So, he can’t come back here.” His eyes darted around the studio but didn’t take any of it in. “He says we need to leave. Head out of the county.”

Jimmy grimaced. “All of us?”

Zacky nodded and then picked up his phone again. “Better call Bri to get him to meet us.”

“Where?” Dan asked as he stood to grab his keys. The mechanic paused, uncertain. Jimmy looked uncharacteristically grim; but it was Johnny who made the suggestion.

“Zacky’s shop. No one would suspect us to be there.” He looked at Zacky. “We could take the Bentley?”

Zacky blinked. “Matty did say it was ready…” He shook his head, as he began to dial his brother’s number. “I’ll call him.”

“No.” Elijah’s voice came from the doorway. They turned to look at him. He stood there his own phone in his hand. “They’ll be on the network, tracing you guys,” he said in way of explanation.

The mechanic ground his teeth together. “What the fuck’re we meant to do then?”

Elijah smiled, frostily. “I’ll call your brother. You take my van to meet him.”

“And, what about Bri?”

“Call Papa G. He can get a message to Syn without raising any alarms,” Jimmy pointed out. They all looked at him, with varying degrees of surprise. “What?”

Elijah laughed low, “I don’t think we want to know how you figured that.”

“Well, he’s a public figure. Who’ll suspect him?” Jimmy was hedging but none of them bit, just shook their heads at him.

“Uh…everyone?” Zacky scoffed, voicing his own thoughts as he did notice his friend’s choice of words. Jimmy winked at him and held out his own phone to the mechanic.

“Use my cell. It’s untraceable.”

Zacky stared at him. “What?”

Jimmy grinned, eyes dancing. “Surprise!”

Johnny groaned, shaking his head. “Idiot…”

“You can talk,” Jimmy shot back. The younger male shrugged and looked over at Elijah. The elder male was laughing.

Johnny narrowed his eyes. Zacky grumbled as he shoved his phone in his pocket and took his friend’s.

“I want to know-”

“No. You don’t,” Jimmy said, a soft warning in his voice. The mechanic blinked a little miffed. His friend didn’t explain just nodded at the phone. “Call Papa G. Then let’s go.”

Zacky nodded as he dialled the number. Brian Sr answered after one ring and listened in grim silence as the mechanic relayed his message. He promised he’d call his son as soon as the call ended, so Zacky finished quickly, hanging up before dialling his brother.

Whilst he spoke to Matty in urgent tones the others gathered together what they could carry – notes, burnt discs – and tucked them into pockets and bags. The equipment they couldn’t take, but something Elijah said eased their anxiety in that regard.

Jimmy was talking to Elijah, about the Flushers of all things; but, then it made sense considering the subject of the conversation…

“We need to get rid of any trace that we were here in New Huntington.”

Eli nodded in agreement. “I can make a call to them and see what they’re willing to do.”

“A clean out of my little apartment would be the first thing,” Jimmy muttered. Zacky, who had completed his call, leaned over his friend’s shoulder, eyebrows raised.

“That’d be a huge risk. God knows what you have in there.”

Jimmy smirked. “Well, then maybe I should just burn the place down.”

Eli snorted at that suggestion. Zacky groaned, slapping his friend on the shoulder.

“Can we go now?”

Jimmy shrugged as he grabbed his wallet and keys. “Just a thought, dude.”

“Yeah, because of course you wouldn’t be that crazy.”

Johnny commented, drily, “Your landlord would hate you forever.”

“I wouldn’t make myself known.” Jimmy rolled his eyes. “And anyway, it’s not like we’re sticking around.”

Everything halted at his statement. The four young men stared at each other as the reality of their situation dawned on them.

“Fuck,” Zacky groaned after a moment. “This is really happening…” He rubbed at his forehead. The thought was frightening but at the same time it sort of appealed to the sense of justice that sat deep within him. He drew in a deep breath then looked at his friends.

Jimmy clapped a hand to his shoulder then nodded to Elijah.

“I’ll be in touch,” the elder male said as they started out the door. Zacky frowned.

“You’re not coming with us?”

Eli shook his head. “Someone needs to sort things out here.”

“Right. Of course.” Zacky smiled, a grim expression. Jimmy tugged at his shirt.

“Come on. We have to go.”

The mechanic held his hand out to the older male. Eli grasped his hand firmly, shaking it.

“Good luck.”

Zacky squeezed his hand then let go and walked out the door. Jimmy and Johnny shook hands with the former rocker as well before joining their friend. Dan, who was carrying all the stuff they’d collected, nodded to Elijah as he followed them out.

Matthew pulled his bike off the road, glancing back over his shoulder. The tail was still there, staying at a distance, almost as if the person at the wheel was afraid to get too close. Though, considering who he was… Anyway, that meant he could afford to take a breather. He glanced in the other direction. The sign at the border of town was a mile away.

He sighed, leaning his ass against the front of his bike. Now that he had some space he could let himself think a moment. Events had moved almost too fast for him to process properly and if he were the type to panic it would have set in by now. However, he hadn’t become T-One through panicking. Self-control had always been his biggest issue. Having a hot temper wasn’t something to admire by any shot, and so he had reined himself in and held himself so tightly wound… It was no wonder this was all happening now.

It was strange, really. At the beginning of his time in The Creed if someone had dared tell him he’d be batting for the other side, so to speak, he would have committed them to a mental asylum. Or at the very least, accused them of being crazy. He was so focussed on doing his job, and being the best, the toughest, the most ruthless…that he guessed he lost his way a bit. It wasn’t until Luke’s execution that his carefully constructed persona started to unravel. Cracks started to show, unnoticed by most people. Though, evidently, the General had picked it up…

He wiped the back of his hand across his face and brought it away. There was a wet spot. He blinked hard.

“Fuck…” He brushed it against his jacket. Letting his emotions get the better of him wasn’t part of the plan. At least not yet. He had to get out of town, and meet up with the guys. Then he could pause properly and get a message to Val to let her know he was okay. He stopped at that thought. It was stupid…but he couldn’t do that.

“No…” He swung back on his bike and gunned the engine, cursing silently to himself as he headed back into town. He was taking a huge risk, but he needed to see her in person, otherwise she’d go crazy. He rolled his eyes inwardly at that. Look at him, being a good husband…

He shot passed the shocked face of his tail, who had to do a sharp U-Turn to get back on track. He allowed himself a small laugh as he sped down the road.

Valary flipped through the file the Mayor had passed across to her as he walked through the office. He had seemed distracted. Which wasn’t unusual so she didn’t think much of it. Something in the file caught her eye though. She glanced at the front of the file and realised Elliott had handed her a classified dossier.

“What?” she whispered to herself. She glanced out the door. The mayor was outside on his cellphone, speaking in hushed tones. She ran a palm over the stamp on the front before carefully opening it.

She blinked hard, then again for several seconds. Gazing up at her, stern, implacable was the face of her husband. Or at least the photo of him when he first joined the ranks of The Creed. Val’s brow furrowed as she lifted the photo to look at what she realised was his official record of service. She wondered why the Mayor had given it to her, unless it was a mistake. She glanced down at the pages in front of her. The words were a blur or maybe that was the headache that was setting in on her.

She pinched at the bridge of her nose then focused on the file. Everything that needed to be said about his record was there, including the more recent psych evals that Doc James had completed. But, it wasn’t any of those that drew her attention in, or made her stomach drop. There was a brand new memo paper clipped to the top of the file. It stated that Matthew was persona non grata…and there was a kill order out on him.

The words didn’t register for a moment, but then she gasped softly and pulled her own phone out, hurriedly sending a message to Matt, warning him to get out of town. She didn’t get a chance to check if he got the message because Elliott walked back in and slammed his phone down on the table. She jumped, shutting the file and slipping it into her drawer as she looked up at him.

“Sir?”

Elliott groaned as he sat at his desk. For a moment he rearranged his pens on the surface before meeting Val’s careful gaze.

“You looked at the file.” It wasn’t a question. His gaze was harder than usual and that unnerved Valary. She cleared her throat, careful to keep her eyes fixed on her superior’s.

“Why did you give it to me?”

Elliott’s lips twisted in a sour expression. “You need to be informed of what your husband is doing, from reliable sources.”

Val stiffened. “Such as you, sir?”

He sighed. “I am not the enemy here, sweetie. You’ve worked for me long enough to know that.” He leaned forward an earnest expression on his face. She was wary, though. After Matthew filled in the blanks concerning the history of The Creed and the politics surrounding it, she was hesitant to trust the mayor. Which perhaps was unfair on the one hand, but on the other…

“What the Hell! Get your fucking hands off me! I need to see my wife!”

She jumped, the hairs on the back of her neck standing up at the voice that interrupted their conversation. Elliott swung in his chair and stood, striding for the door. She scrambled out of her own to follow. She’d know that voice anywhere. Matthew…

The scene they witnessed would’ve have been comical if the situation weren’t so serious. One of Elliott’s security detail was on the floor on his stomach with Matthew kneeling over him, one hand on the back of his neck, other gripping a 9mm handgun. The barrel was pointed at the back of the guard’s head.

“Matthew!” Valary gasped, pushing passed Elliott who was frozen to the spot. The shock on his face was poorly masked. Not that any of that really registered to her. No, all her focus was on her husband. The thing that was so unsettling, though was the lack of any emotion on his face. She couldn’t read anything in the darkness of his expression.

She halted a couple of feet away; his eyes skewed towards her, brow furrowing. He didn’t speak, but did relinquish his grip on the other man. He stood, slowly, keeping his weapon aimed at the guard, whom wisely stayed put.

“What’re you doing?” Val’s voice shook. Matthew’s frown deepened.

“I have to talk to you.”

She grimaced. “And you have to do that whilst pointing a gun at someone?”

Matthew inhaled roughly. “He was trying to prevent me from entering.”

“He was only following orders, Shadows,” Elliott finally spoke up, finding his voice. The former soldier didn’t even flinch at that revelation.

“You ordered the tail on me, Johnston.” His voice was hard. The Mayor inclined his head in the affirmative. Matthew’s jaw line went white from tension, but when he continued his tone was measured, calm. “I always thought you were on our side and that you were trying to make things better for everyone.” His voice became slightly harsher at his next words. “But, now I see that all of this is just a self-serving exercise to control the masses.”

Elliott’s eyes narrowed. “Self-serving, Shadows? You insult me.”

“I know your links to Senator Johnston,” Matthew said a hint of anger creeping through his control.

Elliott just smiled, an icy flex of his lips. “That as may be, Shadows. But, my intentions are not the same. I want peace and stability for the people.”

Matthew raised his eyebrows. “Your relative wanted revenge.”

“That’s hardly accurate, Shadows.”

Matthew sighed and looked at Valary who was listening intently to their discourse. “What have you told my wife?”

Elliott grimaced. “Everything she needs to know.” He took a step closer to him. “What about you? What have you told your wife?”

“Everything.” There was no hesitation in his words. Valary hid a smile as she saw the surprise that flashed across the mayor’s face. It wouldn’t do to show her support for her husband here. Though she desperately wanted to make that move. Obviously she wasn’t as brave as him in that regard. He was still looking at her, an expression in his eyes that she couldn’t decipher.

Elliott said, “Then you know as well as she that the law can’t excuse you.”

Matthew nodded. “I know.” He ran the tip of his tongue across his top lip. “That’s why I’m skipping town.” Valary thought he must’ve gotten her message. He cast her a knowing look before he returned his gaze to the Mayor.

“I should order your arrest right now.”

Matthew’s fingers tightened on his handgun. “You do that. I’ll still have a head start.”

Elliott ground his teeth together. “You will not be allowed to return.” Val’s chest tightened on hearing that; but she really shouldn’t have been surprised. She looked anxiously at her husband. He didn’t meet her eyes.

“We’ll see, Elliott.”

He finally turned to step toward Val. She waited for him, feeling her body tremble with emotions she couldn’t describe. His features softened as his gaze focused on hers.

“Val.” He paused as he tucked his weapon inside his jacket. She continued to wait. He closed his eyes then opened them again. “I’m sorry.”

Val stepped closer, resting a hand on his cheek. “I know.” She leaned up and pressed her lips to his. “Love you…” Matthew closed his eyes again, breathing slowly. She ran her fingers through his hair that had started to grow out considerably. He sighed, meeting her eyes.

“I’ll try to stay in touch.”

Val said, softly, “Only if it’s safe.”

“Mhm…” Matthew squeezed her hand before stepping away. She folded her arms tight across her chest, holding herself together as she watched her husband turn and walk out the door, unhindered, and alone.

Elliott had remained out of the way, not interfering at all. Obviously, confident that he wouldn’t need to with whatever plan that was set in motion. That thought worried Val no end. But, all she could do was wait, and hope that everything would work out for the good. Whatever that looked like in the near and distant future.

Aightball
    Aightball

Post  Aightball 9/23/2013, 4:53 am

O.O Holly bibles Matt! Getting everyone the hell outta Dodge...is that wise? I mean, yeah, they're in trouble, but still. Wow...now I really want PG to win so they can all come home and be in a band! And I think it's time for Val to show whose side she's on...I know she's for Matt, but she needs to stand up to her boss and show him that!
    the mice endure
    the mice endure

Post  the mice endure 10/2/2013, 4:41 pm

Tell me about it, eh?

The Matts have it

Jimmy was shoving a tent into the trunk of the Bentley as Matty and Zacky were checking under the hood.  Johnny sat nearby, a smoke plugged firmly between his lips.  And Brian was propped up next to him a serene expression on his face as he was scribbling away on a notepad.  

Jimmy groaned, “Stupid piece of-”

“Jimmy, seriously…” Johnny muttered as he stood up to help the taller male.  “Have you never gone camping?”

Jimmy snorted.  “Not in a Bentley.”

“Not ever,” Zacky commented drily as he dropped the hood back in place and dusted his palms on his jeans.  Jimmy just rolled his eyes as he stroked his beard.

“Sure.  And you went camping all of?”

“Twice, which is a lot more than you, dude,” Matty laughed.  Zacky shot his brother a grateful look.  The younger male lifted his shoulders then slapped a palm against the roof of the car.  “Well, you’re all set to go.” He paused before pulling his brother into a one-armed embrace.  “Be careful, you.”

Zacky set his jaw but allowed his brother to hug him for longer than he thought necessary.  Then he stepped back and nodded.  

“I’ll try to get a message to you once we get out.” He sucked at his snakebites.  “I…” Matty shook his head, squeezing his shoulder hard.

“Just stay safe.  I’ll…tell Mom and Dad you’ve gone on vacay.”

Zacky gritted his teeth at the mention of their parents.  “Whatever works.” He glanced at his friends who were all waiting to go.  “Right…let’s go meet Shads…”

“What the Hell, Johnston?  You should’ve contacted me right away!  Dammit!  You were the one who called Code Red!” Jason growled furiously into his radio.  “Where the fuck did he go?  And why did you call the tail off?”  

His men stood behind him, watching on in steely silence as he barely held onto his control.  It wasn’t often Jason reacted this strongly to anything; definitely not like Shadows used to.  

“Damn it, sir.” He sighed as he managed a semblance of calm.  “I’ll get my men out there.  Don’t worry.  We’ll bring him in.”  He gritted his teeth as he finally suggested something that made him want to tear his own balls off.  “Bring Valary here.  I’ll use any means necessary to get him back.”  

One of the soldiers started slightly at that.  “Commander?”

Jason turned to glare at his men.  “That wasn’t a request.”

The soldier saluted and promptly turned to do his superior’s bidding.  Jason finished his call to the Mayor then hung up the phone to wait.  

Matthew gunned his bike heading for the outskirts of town.  The roar of the engine jarred at his senses and he almost hesitated. But, then he gave head to his bike and sped down the highway with what one would call reckless abandon, except he wasn’t usually given to that…

There was a calculated risk in being so conspicuous, but he had to balance it with the chance that he would be caught if he didn’t get out of there immediately.  When he hit the limit of the town, he swerved onto the side road and parked his bike.  He glanced back down the highway, knowing he couldn’t linger for long, but he had to make one call.  

He flipped his phone out, breathing deeply.  He dialled in a number then hit send.  He held the phone up to his ear and stared down the highway.  The corner of his lip twitched up slightly when the other person answered with an anxious edge, “Shads?”

He chuckled, low.  “Hey, Berry…it’s going down.”

Matt Berry swung out of his bunk, phone glued to the side of his head as he grabbed his bag and ran for the door.  Eskino poked his head out of the door of his study.

“Kid?”

“Gotta go, that was Shads!” Matt called back as he raced for the front entrance.  The General chuckled.

“Hold up.” He came out of his office, holding a weapon holster in his hands.  Matt paused and looked back at him.  

“General?”

Eskino held the holster and handgun up.  “You’ll need these.  And, Berry…you need to tell your friends the truth.”  The younger male grimaced, shifting uneasily in his boots.

“They might not understand…”

“I’m sure they’ll forgive you.”

Matt closed his eyes then opened them again.  “What about Shads?”

Eskino smiled, kindly.  “He knew what was going on.”

Matt turned his head away, remembering back to the day of his ‘execution’.  “The plan…” He shook his head.  “It doesn’t excuse what you made him do.”

The General sighed.  “That’s between him and me…just you worry about getting them what they need.”

Matt nodded, closing his eyes once more another thought coming to mind; but, he brushed it away before he could let it take hold.  He couldn’t think about his… He shook his head hard and moved forward to take the offered weaponry.

“Thanks, General.”  

Eskino nodded.  “Luck, kiddo…”

Matt frowned.  “Don’t believe in luck.”

A grim smiled flashed across the General’s face.  “Neither do I, Berry.” He clapped a hand to the younger male’s shoulder.  “Take care.  And let me know when you catch up with them.”  

Matt nodded again, feeling as if his head would fall off with all the affirmative motion.  Then he hooked the holster to his belt, slipping the gun in place.  

“Well, thanks…”

“Hopefully you won’t need to use it,” Eskino murmured.  Matt grimaced in agreement.  They stood for a moment staring at each other.  “Well, you should go.”  Matt heaved a sigh and turned for the door, walking out.  

Eli stood in his study, phone in hand, brow furrowed deeply.  Melissa faced him, lips drawn in a thin line.

“Tell me you got onto him,” Elijah said in a tight voice.

Melissa said in restraint, “He didn’t answer, and I felt it prudent you tried yourself.”

Elijah shook his head.  “You didn’t think to leave a message?”

“He doesn’t know me, sir.”

“He knows of you.”

Melissa rolled her eyes, her retort sounded bitter, “Who doesn’t?” Elijah glowered at her belligerence.

“Don’t Mel.  That’s all in the past.”

Melissa laughed harshly.  “The past has a lot to answer for.”

His lips twitched faintly as he lifted the phone to his ear.  “Too right.  I’ll call him.” He glanced toward the window.  “Do me a favour.”

She shook her head.  “I’m sorry, I don’t see how I can do any more than I’ve already done for you, sir?”

Elijah turned his head away, sorry that he had dragged her into his intrigue, yet there was a lot at stake now and he knew that there was no way to change the circumstances.  He didn’t say as much to her, though.  

“Mel, this is the last thing I will ask of you.”

She pinched the bridge of her nose.  “Fine.”

“Pack our bags.  We’ll be leaving tomorrow.”  

Melissa blinked but made no protest just inclined her head in acknowledgement and went to do just that, leaving Elijah to call his old friend.  

He watched her leave once again thinking about the past she had alluded to.  She had come to him soon after the riots, after her release from jail.  She was a broken woman who needed rehabilitation and friendship and most importantly a safe place to hide.  He’d given it to her in return for her expertise, and in the course of several years they had formed a trusting partnership.  And now, he was putting her in an untenable situation.  

But, she was a brave woman.  Strong in her own right.  And, the past had made her ready to face anything.  He smiled at that thought, but then it faded when his call connected.  Except it was only an answer machine.

“Dammit, Pasan…I need you to answer my call.  For the love of all that is good.” He clenched his jaw before continuing his one-sided dialogue.  “I have something important to talk about, and we can’t do this over the phone.  I need to see you.  You need to meet me.  It’s…been way too long.  And, it’s time.”  

He stared at the phone in silence, pondering the message his long-time friend had left.  He never answered when Elijah called.  Not because he didn’t want to talk to him, far from it.  He would do anything to be able to converse about everything that had passed.  No.  It was due to the secrets that they both held close to their chests.  And for the safety of his family.  

Long Beach wasn’t New Huntington, but it was close enough to still be influenced by the smaller city’s politics.  It unnerved him how backwards NH was in its policies.  Backwards and oppressive.  It also greatly saddened him.  The laws in Long Beach weren’t so stringent.  Of course, rock music was still frowned upon but people didn’t get arrested for it.  Instead they were educated and steered toward more valuable use of their talents.  Come to think of it, that was still an oppression of sorts.  

“Dad?”

He shifted his gaze from his phone to the door of his study.  His son, Arin, who still lived at home at twenty-one, was leaning there a pair of drumsticks in hand.  He smiled slightly.  

“Yes?”

“Wanna come jam with me?” Arin’s hopeful tone tugged at his heart strings.  He nodded as he stood, but paused for a moment as his gaze lingered on his phone again.  Then he glanced at the other message he’d received from a Brian Haner Snr.  And the interesting information he had passed on.  He groaned inwardly before glancing at his son, who was patiently waiting for him.

“Got any new stuff, son?”

Arin nodded.  “The guys said I have a good ear for this.”  The guys being his little band, Confide.  They played underground gigs and sure he should’ve been against it.  But the joy in his son’s eyes was too hard for him to ignore.  So, he turned a blind eye, mostly.  Except really he kept both eyes wide open, waiting for a change.  

One that he had a feeling was coming sooner, rather than later.  And perhaps that was exactly what society needed.  

He stood and went to join Arin.  

So. If you managed to get to the end of that chapter unscathed, well done. There was a lot packed in there and I was puffed out after writing it. My mind was churning it all out, and though it feels like too much going on, it was all important, and it all had to go into that one chapter...

Also, if you're shocked by the turn of events, join the club. My characters surprise me every time I start typing. So, if you feel like it, leave me your thoughts.

But, most importantly. Enjoy.
    Aightball
    Aightball

Post  Aightball 10/3/2013, 8:20 am

Okay, wait a sec...Matt Berry is still alive? WTF? I'm so confused! And what the hell does he know? What's going on? You've left me with waaaay too many questions, girly! Razz You're updating tonight, right? *laughs*
    the mice endure
    the mice endure

Post  the mice endure 10/6/2013, 2:56 am

Hehehehe...will this chapter answer your questions...or raise more Wink

Ice cream factory

Zacky didn’t think he’d ever driven a car that ran as smoothly as the Bentley did. Matty had done wonders on it. The tires hummed on the bitumen as they shot down the highway and along the coast. The five of them were silent, lost in their own little worlds. The only sound was the scratching of Brian’s pen on paper and Johnny’s snoring. The kid was exhausted from all the excitement.

The mechanic glanced in the rear view mirror at the youngest of his friends and was reminded, jarringly, of the elder brother.

“Luke would’ve loved this,” Jimmy’s voice startled him a little and he looked at the tall male who was seated next to him, for once all parts of his body remaining inside the vehicle. He was unusually sombre and quiet and that could only mean that he was taking their escape very seriously.

Zacky grimaced. “Yeah. He’d be totally in this.” His fingers tightened on the steering wheel. “In fact, it would’ve been his idea.”

Jimmy nodded, stroking his beard. “Exactly.” He gazed out at the passing scenery. “You know where we’re meeting Shads?”

Dan spoke up from the back. “There’s a run-down ice-cream factory twenty miles outta town. Kayla’s Creamery.”

Zacky flicked his eyes to the mirror to meet the soldier’s gaze. “He message you?”

“Yeah. It’s off the main highway.” Dan leaned over and held his phone out to Jimmy. “Check the route.”

Jimmy squinted at the screen then pointed out the window. “It’s the next left, V.”

Zacky gave a tight nod as he returned his focus on the road.

Brian commented, drily, “An ice cream factory, hey? Not much use for one out this far.”

Jimmy chuckled. Zacky just rolled his eyes and then silence settled once more between them. Johnny still snoring continuously.

Matthew leaned his head back against the corrugated iron and stared through his lashes at Matt Berry who was just staring back at him a world weary expression in his eyes.

“You know how we’re gonna explain this shit, Shads?”

“No.”

M Berry sighed and began to pace. Matthew tracked his movements without speaking, just waited whilst keeping an ear out for their friends’ arrival. The two men were holed up in the front office of the ice-cream factory. It had been abandoned for three years, bankrupt or something like that. Matt Berry had arrived at just about the same time as Matthew and they’d barricaded themselves in.

The younger male was on edge and other than the obvious, there was one other thing that neither of them had dare bring up. Even though over a month had passed, it was still raw. The staged execution…the very real mental fallout for both of them. It was tough. And then the fact that Jason had no clue that his brother was still very much alive. Matthew knew that had to be hard for the other twin.

“They’re going to be pissed,” Matt murmured.

“They’ll get over it.” Matthew looked away then frowned as his phone began to vibrate. He tugged it out of his pocket and his expression darkened. Matt looked over at him.

“What?”

“It’s your twin.” Matthew held the phone up to his ear. “What do you want?” The colour drained from his face a second later, causing Matt to start forward. Matthew held up his hand for him to wait.

“What the fuck, Jason? You. Let. Her. Go.” He spat the words, as it felt like an iron fist was squeezing his heart. He closed his eyes and exhaled in a rush. “Don’t. Don’t do this.” The fingers of his free hand curled around the butt of his gun. “I will hunt you down…” He swore angrily as Jason disconnected the call on the other end.

“Shads?” Matt’s voice cut into the red of his rage. He blinked, opening his eyes to meet the other male’s worried gaze.

“Berry…”

“Whatever it is, Shads, I’m on your side.”

“The Creed have my wife.” Matthew stated bleakly. “The Commander says she will be summarily shot if I don’t turn myself in.”

“Fuck.”

“Yeah, that’s about right.”

Matt shook his head hard. “Why would Jason…we were all friends…”

“Your brother is no friend of mine.” Matthew’s tone was deliberately cold. But, Matt could detect the pain buried deep within. He didn’t protest his statement, though and just sighed again.

“This sucks.”

“Mhm.” Matthew glanced at his watch then tilted his head to listen again. The distant hum of tires on road reached his ears and he straightened, gripping his gun. “Someone’s coming up…”

Matt turned as he trailed his fingers over his own weapon and pressed his ear against the wall to check. “So, what’re you going to do about Val?”

Matthew clenched his jaw. “I’ll have to go back. I’m not leaving her in there.”

He shifted his body towards the door and lifted the muzzle of his gun. The sound of car doors opening then slamming and then several distinct pairs of feet traipsing across the ground set the hairs on edge at the back of his neck.

Matt nodded as he primed his own weapon, his breathing evening out as he focussed on the footsteps. “You gonna let the others know?”

Matthew slewed his eyes to the side in response as he held his Beretta steady. “They won’t like it…but I can’t.” He sealed his lips on the rest of his words as the footsteps approached. Matt shut up as well, pressed against the wall gun in hand, trembling slightly. He was as good a shot as anyone in The Creed, but he would be lying if he said he wasn’t a little afraid. He hadn’t the stomach for the job, hence why he’d taken over at The Locker. But, he was, in fact, a better shot than his twin.

Matthew curled his finger on the trigger, breathing deeply as he listened hard. Matt shifted uneasily on his feet as the footsteps paused.

And then they both relaxed when they heard Jimmy’s distinctive tones echoing through the building.

“The Rev is in the house, yo!”

“Over here!” Matthew called out motioning to Matt to stay where he was as he ducked his head out the barricaded door. He saw Jimmy’s bearded features scanning the large open space of the factory and then those bright blue eyes zeroed in on him and the lanky male pounded the concrete toward him.

“Shads!”

Matthew laughed as he was embraced hard and smothered with kisses. “Fuckin’ Hell, Jimmy.”

Jimmy grinned broadly. “Those are for your wife.”

Matthew went white and pushed him away, roughly.

“What’d I say?” Jimmy blinked as Zacky, Johnny and Brian walked up to join them. Dan had remained in the car to keep watch.

The former T-One shook his head.

“I’ll tell you in a minute…we’ve got more pressing issues.” He looked back to the office where Matt had remained. Zacky lifted an eyebrow, Matthew smiled grimly. “Do me a favour, don’t get angry.” His friends looked askance at each other.

“What do you mean, ‘don’t get angry’?” Zacky asked, incredulity in his voice. Matthew just turned and waved them to the office.

They followed him in trepidation the five of them entering the office together. For a moment, they just stared and then their exclamations of shock filled the room.

“What the Hell?”

“The fuck?”

“You…what…you? M Berry?”

Matt Berry just blinked at them, smiling benignly. “Hi, guys.”

“No. No. No.” Zacky finally managed to get out a few words. He braced a hand against the doorframe. “You…The Creed had you…”

“Executed?” Matt’s lips twitched. “Staged.” He glanced across at Matthew who had seated himself on the floor again next to his bag. “Shads knows about that.”

They all turned as one to look expectantly at their friend. Matthew dragged his fingers through his hair and heaved a sigh.

“I did shoot you. That bullet…”

“Is still lodged in my head, yeah. I know.” Matt tugged at his long hair and scratched at a spot near the front. Jimmy leaned in and gasped.

“There’s a scar.”

“Wow, captain obvious,” Brian chuckled. Jimmy pouted then turned back as Zacky was still interrogating the two Matts.

“I don’t understand…”

“Matt has a certain skill set that we’re going to need,” Matthew was explaining, quietly as he double checked his gear.

“But, we all saw you after…you were a fucking wreck!” Zacky was exasperated. “How could you fake that?”

Matthew frowned and paused in his packing. “I didn’t.”

“You…didn’t?”

Matthew sighed. “Like I said. I still shot him. And considering the past…that kind of thing tends to set me off in a bad way.” He zipped up his bag and stood, slinging it over his shoulder. “It was touch and go, anyway. Matt still could’ve died.” Zacky grimaced, looking at the younger Berry twin.

“Is that right?”

Matt nodded as he strapped his gun into its holster. “The General had his own personal surgeon work on me.” He glanced at Matthew. “The execution was the real deal. As far as the law’s concerned I’m deceased and the paperwork is all filed to prove it.”

Zacky just looked at the two of them disbelief written all over his features. Matthew smirked faintly at him.

“None of that matters now. We still need to get further out of town.”

Matt chuckled. “And, that’s where I come in.” He dug into his own bag and pulled out what looked like a two-way radio. “I have contacts in the Orange County Underground that can get us a safe place to set up shop.” He patted Matthew on the shoulder. “Give me five minutes…”

He nodded and they watched as Matt walked out the door into the open space of the factory and started to pace while tuning his radio in.

Jimmy, who was already bored, turned his head to look at Matthew. “So, what was that all about before?”

Matthew glanced warily at the taller male. “What was what about?”

“When I mentioned Val?”

Matthew’s jaw tightened and he looked anywhere but at his friend. “I have to go back into town.”

What?” Zacky snapped. “We just spent all that time getting out!”

“I know.” Matthew groaned, putting his head in his hands. “But, The Creed have Val…”

Dead silence. No one moved or said a word. They all just stared at him horror dawning slowly on their faces.

“No!” Zacky grabbed onto the doorframe, hard then winced, pulling his hand away to suck on his finger. “What exactly do they think they’re doing?”

Matthew pulled at his hair and looked up at them. The anger in his eyes was right there, ready to unleash God knew what on the world.

“They want me to turn myself in.” He gritted his teeth.

Brian asked in a whisper, “Or what?”

Matthew shook his head, unable to speak the words. He who was normally so tough and ready with an answer, was reduced to just pure emotion and he couldn’t trust his voice. Matt, who was in earshot, walked over to re-join them his radio still buzzing away in the background.

“They’ll kill Valary,” he said, harshly. “My brother made that clear. According to Shads.”

“Shit…” Zacky whistled low. Brian muttered something about needing to sit down. Johnny just stared at the big guy who looked unusually small and anxious. Jimmy frowned deeply.

“They can’t do that.”

Matthew shut his eyes. “As far as they’re concerned I’m a traitor now. Which means they’ll do anything to get their hands on me.”

“What I don’t get is why they’re not threatening our families,” Zacky muttered. “I mean, it’s not like Shads is doing this on his own. We’re in on this as well.”

“I know why,” Jimmy said. They turned to him. He looked back at them expression grave. “Matthew is a former officer of The Creed. They can’t have someone like him on the wrong side of the law because he’s dangerous. And this is all his idea.” He nodded to his friend. “They want to get Matthew back into town. Not to arrest him, but so they can kill him as well.”

“Right. So…they will probably end up killing Val anyway?”

“Right.”

“That’s sick…” Zacky grunted. “What’re we going to do?”

Matthew growled. “You are going with M Berry to wherever he finds a place. I’m going back to New Huntington. Alone.”

“No fucking way,” Zacky protested. “We’re not letting you go back there by yourself.”

“This isn’t your problem.”

“I don’t give a fuck!” Zacky got into Matthew’s face and stared him down which wasn’t easy considering the height difference. “Val’s my friend too!”

“You’d get yourself killed, Zachary.” Matthew’s tone was reasonable, but Zacky wasn’t having any of it.

“Fuck you, Shads. Either we come with you or you don’t go.” He put his foot down and glowered at the bigger male, a determined glint in his eyes.

Matthew groaned. “Dammit, Baker. I don’t want to lose any of you.” He looked away. “And I know what I’m doing.”

“Do you? Do you really?” Zacky leaned in tight, his breathing ragged. “You didn’t see this, Shads. You didn’t foresee them dragging Val into this.”

Matthew sank down on his haunches, rocking slightly. “I should never have told her anything…” Jimmy crouched down by his side and reached over to punch him lightly on the shoulder.

“Hey. Hey. Don’t blame yourself, Shads. V’s right. You couldn’t have known they’d do this.”

Matthew sighed, pinching at the bridge of his nose. He didn’t speak, though, taking the time to calm his nerves. The others moved to sit around the office and waited for him to make his decision.

Jimmy perched on an old desk, dust motes swirling as he settled on the surface. Brian leaned next to him pen between his teeth, sucking on the end of it, brow furrowed. Johnny sat on a broken swivel chair, swinging on it slowly as he watched the big guy. Matthew rubbed at his face as he zipped and unzipped his bag, thinking hard.

Matt Berry came back again a strained smile on his lips. “We’re good to go.”

Matthew zipped his bag shut again and climbed to his feet. “Where?”

“Long Beach.”

“Right.” Matthew glowered at Zacky who was about to speak. “Don’t V. I’m going back alone.”

Zacky grumbled mutinously. Jimmy cut in almost rudely, “Fuck that. One of us is going with you.”

Matthew blinked. “You volunteering, Jimmy?”

Jimmy didn’t hesitate, he nodded and said, emphatically, “Matter of fact, I am. I know a safe route back into town.”

“How…?” Zacky asked. His friend just gave a secretive smile then bounced on the balls of his feet. The mechanic ground out between his teeth, “I hate all this.”

Matthew turned to face him, looking him directly in the eye. “Then go home. You still have time. I won’t hold it against you.” Zacky backed off and shook his head. “No? You say you hate it.”

“No. I’m sticking this out.” The mechanic pulled at his piercings. “We’ve gone too far for me to do otherwise.” He looked pained as if he’d just made the most difficult decision in his life.

Matthew smiled sadly, squeezing his shoulder firmly. “Go with Berry. Jimmy and I will head back into town.”

“I don’t like this…”

Jimmy looked between them then murmured, “I’m good with a knife. I’m the knife master!” This last he said with a huge grin. Zacky flipped him off before turning to look at Matt Berry who was all ready to go.

“Leaving now?”

“We’re expected.”

Zacky nodded. “Okay. Let’s get Dan.” He folded his arms tight as he made for the door. He had to walk passed Matthew as he did and he paused when the bigger male gripped his arm. “Yeah?”

“I’ll join you guys as soon as I can.”

Zacky just nodded tightly before walking out saving a reserved smile for Jimmy who hovered at the door. “You. Be careful.”

Jimmy embraced his friend hard. “See you soon.” Zacky smiled again, sucking on his piercings as he walked back out of the building.

Brian walked passed and clapped a hand to Matthew’s shoulder and murmured, “I’ll get a message to my dad, let him know what’s doing.” Matthew nodded knowing that Brian Snr had to be wondering what was going on, unless Elijah had managed to fill him in.

Johnny was the last out. He paused and looked at Matthew, crease lines on his forehead. He looked older than his years, but then doing time would do that to you. That and grief. And worry.

“Johnny…it’s going to be okay,” Matthew said, softly, though he realised as he said the words that he was as much reassuring himself as he was the younger man. Johnny’s lips tightened and he tilted his head in acknowledgement.

“See you in Long Beach, Shadows.”

Matthew lifted a hand in farewell before grabbing his bag and turning to Jimmy. “Rev?”

The taller male was leaning out the window, looking over the factory floor. The glass had long since gone, shattered by vandals or the like. He pulled his head back in and jumped down on the floor.

“Okay. We’re going to go in via the Pacific Highway Bridge.”

Matthew blinked hard once. There were no actual bridges in New Huntington so he knew that his friend could only be referring to one thing. And one thing alone.

“How the fuck do you know about the Underground Pass?”

Jimmy just winked and walked out the door. Matthew sighed and followed him out.

Aightball
    Aightball

Post  Aightball 10/6/2013, 11:26 am

Well..I'm glad Matt's going back for Val but in so many, many ways I know he's walking into a trap. I don't know if I believe Jason on the whole Valary thing...I don't believe they'd do that, even under the circumstances. And if Jimmy dies...I know Matt knows what he's doing but I"m not sure that's going to be enough this time. Sad

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 5/17/2024, 5:56 am